Gibson Brands Forums

It's inconceivable to me that

jannusguy2

I think that they may be banking on the fact that this particular guitar belonged to Aaron Lewis himself. I personally don't care for signature models (although I would love to own a Dwight Yoakam Honkey Tonk Deuce), don't get me started on how I feel about "relic'd" guitars.

Ridiculous ...

Utterly ridiculous..... for/against relicing doesn't even come into the equation, Aaron Lewis is not a big enough name to command such scandalous prices, especially as what it's based on originally can be had for half the price and has far more pulling power at auction. The blah-blah about his firm price and reasoning leaves me a little cold too.

If we're dealing with the ridiculous though, I ripped a callous off my finger at rehearsals last night, it's #1 of 1. Starting bids are 5k, I'll give you a certificate signed with it.... lets be hearing you....... ;) Photo authentication on request. First hand accounts of how painful it was and some video evidence of it happening can also be had to serious bidders ;)

Yep, thats excatly right. Ive already got a few dings and scratches on my AL SJ, whcih I bougth for $2500 ... so does it mean its worth now $5k ?

Just had a quick check on Gibson's website. AJ specs.

Am I right in thinking that the aged one is exactly the same as the Arron Lewis VOS, just looks beat up and cost 5k more? There must be something else?

I'm actually quite fascinated as to what technique the Gibson guys use to give it the 'worn in' look, I imagine its quite a skill of its own ??

Or maybe they send it to Glen Hansard to bash it around a bit before sending it back ...?

theswellseasonnpr.jpg

While we think it's a romantic and precise methodology, many of the forums for this type of stuff has detailed threads of people whacking motorbike chains, bicycle pedals, keys etc off the tops to get some random indentations, the wear spots are usually cloned off pics of genuine old guitars.. without hijacking the thread too much, there's a real artform to doing this correctly, sadly too many look like the results of butchery afterwards.... but one man's meat is another man's poison.

The real baffler for me in all of this is how heated relic threads get, it's a finish option no more, no less, when's the last time you saw a sunburst tree, or a pink, blue, green sitka spruce top with the range of hues a finished guitar comes in? ...no, I've never seen one either. Some people like the dumpster chic, some don't.. hardly worth blowing a gasket over on an internet forum.

True enough, but they'd have to be pretty fanatical about the guy to pay double for a modern relic'd sig model over an example of the genuine original article. Gibson can always make another Aaron Lewis model, but they can't make a genuine 1950's model unless Ren fashioned a time machine out of inflated fireman hosepipes too ;)

It will be interesting to see how long that guitar remains in Willy's inventory.

Yes. Very interesting.

Not a fan of the relic. I have seen some "aged/worn" Gibsons (both acoustic and electric) that I could go for, but going to the extreme with scratches, gouges, stains and worn off finish is something I wouldn't pay for.

This is my 1953. Pretty sure it came by its character naturally. It suits me just fine for 1/2 the $ of Willy's when I bought it a couple of years ago.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. This thing is sold as an Arron Lewis souvenir, and is priced accordingly, That it's probably a pretty nice sounding guitar is irrelevant. Especially since the intended buyer will stick it in a display case and probably never play it.

-- Bob

Archived