Gibson Brands Forums

SJ 200 custom build tonewoods

ditdr

Ok i want to have a custom shop sj200 done. Im have an affair with my custom shop j45 right now, and i want a sj200 done up in a similar fashion to dave haywood's from lady antebellum. Im looking for information on tonewoods. Has anyone played a rosewood sj versus a quilted maple b/s. Im really liking advanced jumbo's right now due to the individual note seperation. any help would be appreciated. I want an sj just because ive always wanted one and i like the individuality of a custom shop guitar that i can get made any way i like

Ok i want to have a custom shop sj200 done. Im have an affair with my custom shop j45 right now, and i want a sj200 done up in a similar fashion to dave haywood's from lady antebellum. Im looking for information on tonewoods. Has anyone played a rosewood sj versus a quilted maple b/s. Im really liking advanced jumbo's right now due to the individual note seperation. any help would be appreciated. I want an sj just because ive always wanted one and i like the individuality of a custom shop guitar that i can get made any way i like

I had a 2004 Western Classic 200 that was rosewood and I let it go to fund a J200 TV. If I could have kept them both I would have. They are distinctively different sounding guitars each with their own merits. The rosewood WC 200 was a very powerful guitar with an orchestral sound to it. The j200 is more subtle but still very rich and balanced. Both great guitars.

Here's a pic of the WC200

DSC_0070.jpg

and here's a pic of my J200TV

DSC01367.jpg

But what specs do you have in mind. Custom Shoppe..I believe runs through the same production line these days as the standard models.I don't think there is a seperate room(Custom Shoppe) where a few guys are doing it seperately in a different manner.

So the only difference is the specifics you detail to them. When I spoke to Ren Ferguson in 2009 considering "the best" J200 that was possible he suggested specifying Madagascar Rosewood Back & Sides (in leu of the fact his most prefered Brazilian is not available too easily)..

Adirondack Spruce top that is hand scalloped..I was to do it with an early thickish neck...that L5 Vase & early L5 Binding..& Ebony fingerboard & bridge. So this would be the Masters choice..but I was going to specify a short scale neck in addition to his choice..which he said was fine..but I am reluctant to suggest that to anyone.

In the end I chose to get a Masterbuilt Stratocaster instead.

Selection of tone woods does not make or break though.. the main thing you should specify no matter what you choose, is to ask for a top that is hand voiced for most response. And maybe specify hide glue & hand fit neck joint with no spaces(if possible)

I tried a Madagascar Custom Shop j200 & it was a deaf instrument..& another in Indian Rosewood which was exceptionally attractive that sounded much better.

Mainly you should try to play a Maple & Rosewood to see which character you prefer. But keep in mind if Sitka or Adirondack is on the top & its sound too.

Mandolin Bros. is within driving distance to Connecticut they'll have both probably.

Or you may simply want to buy mine since you are in nearby Connecticut : )

I had a 2004 Western Classic 200 that was rosewood and I let it go to fund a J200 TV. If I could have kept them both I would have. They are distinctively different sounding guitars each with their own merits. The rosewood WC 200 was a very powerful guitar with an orchestral sound to it. The j200 is more subtle but still very rich and balanced. Both great guitars.

Here's a pic of the WC200

DSC_0070.jpg

and here's a pic of my J200TV

DSC01367.jpg

Was it because of the sound that you switched?

Was it because of the sound that you switched?

Nope. I had a hankerin' for a traditional J200. Some of my guitars stay awhile and then are moved along for another. Although, this J200 will be a keeper due to, among other things, the custom aspects of it.

Archived