Gibson Brands Forums

What Kind Of Car Do You Drive?

Tman5293

I think you have a different opinion on cars than I do. All I care about is big muscle and how fast it goes 0-60 and how fast it can cover the 1/4 mile. If it has great handling too then that's a plus but to me it's not necessary. My favorite car out right now is the new 2013 Shelby GT500. That thing has 662hp and goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Covers the 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds at 125mph. Now that's a real car.

My favorite car that was in my family at one point was my great grandpas 68 Shelby GT 350 (black and red)

Now, that's a real car. (too bad he sold it during the gas crisis in the early 70s and it's only a memory in photos now, and yes, he's still kicking himself.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive a 2007 FJ Cruiser that had been modified to take me off the beaten path and camp for days at a time.

I have solar setup to recharge the batteries, ARB 12v fridge/freezer (no mushy wet food from an ice chest), and a nice 2 person roof top tent that is 4 season.

main6.jpg

Nice! We have a 2008, with an 120v inverter, rear gate tent and a few other mods but since my wife is the main driver that's the chick car.

Just got this a month ago when I started my new job. It's a decent first car, 118,000 on it and gets about 30mpg which is a bonus. But most importantly it came loaded with an Alpine deck [thumbup]

2004 Hyundai Sonata "Facelift" edition

IMG_1104.jpg

Not a bad buy for $4,800!

Just got this a month ago when I started my new job. It's a decent first car, 118,000 on it and gets about 30mpg which is a bonus. But most importantly it came loaded with an Alpine deck [thumbup]

2004 Hyundai Sonata "Facelift" edition

IMG_1104.jpg

Not a bad buy for $4,800!

That seems like a pretty good buy to me. Though I would have tried to get the price lower since it has so many miles on it. I just got my second car about a month ago. It's also from 2004. It's a Mustang and it had about 63,000 miles on it when I bought it. Mine doesn't get 30mpg but does have a good amount of horsepower (~240-250). Mine didn't come with a nice sound system though. In fact it's broken and needs to be fixed whenever I have the money.

2011 Honda Pilot and 2003 Honda Element

DSC_0039-1.jpg

Pilot hauls kids and dog and still gets OK mileage on the highway (23-25)

The Element has been a real workhorse. Not only does it get the boards to the beach, but it's carried camping gear

and bikes from Florida to Maine and Montana. Over 100K now and hope to get another 100K out of it.

I had a element for about three years it was a awesome little car and a blast to drive. Mine was the burnt orange color so my wife called it the pumpkin and was embarrassed to drive it. but it was a great little vehicle and very flexible I especially liked the suicide style rear doors made it really easy to get in and out of even when carrying a wheelchair. I'd still be driving it but for one issue the A/C was just to whimpy for Arizona summers, it's little rotary air compressor just couldn't cool it down enough to make it comfortable to drive anywhere in the summer which is about half the year in Arizona. it was fine until the temps got to about 105 and then it just couldn't cool it off and the car wold be in the 90 degree range inside for most of your drives. If they could have fixed that one issue I'd still be driving it happily. What color is your interior surfpup i had purchased a great little center console opening armrest for the drivers side seat that I never even installed it but my interior was Tan yours is probably Grey?

...it was fine until the temps got to about 105 and then it just couldn't cool it off and the car wold be in the 90 degree range inside ...

There is a lot air inside there with the high head clearance and cargo space, but mine does fine. It gets pretty warm in Florida too. Not Arizona warm since I'm near the ocean, but we get close to 100 occasionally.

What color is your interior surfpup i had purchased a great little center console opening armrest for the drivers side seat that I never even installed it but my interior was Tan yours is probably Grey?

Thanks. But, yeah, mine is grey inside, and I already have the armrest on mine. It's one of its best little features holding: sunscreen, chapstik, flashlight, multi-tool, pocket knife, and wallet at all times. [thumbup]

That seems like a pretty good buy to me. Though I would have tried to get the price lower since it has so many miles on it. I just got my second car about a month ago. It's also from 2004. It's a Mustang and it had about 63,000 miles on it when I bought it. Mine doesn't get 30mpg but does have a good amount of horsepower (~240-250). Mine didn't come with a nice sound system though. In fact it's broken and needs to be fixed whenever I have the money.

Well he originally had it for $5,000. When I took it for a test drive the fan belt was squealing like a mo'fo and there was a shimmy in the brake pedal/grinding noise from the rear brakes. I was able to get him to do $4,800 and he installed all new brakes (not just the pads; new lines, fluid, everything), replaced the belt, and even gave it an alignment as the car would shake like crazy once I got it over 50mph. He's a good friend of my new boss who had recommended him so he was happy to do all that and not jack up the price. Jealous of the Stang though, even though it wouldn't be as good on gas I wish mine was in that horsepower range.

...My favorite car out right now is the new 2013 Shelby GT500. That thing has 662hp and goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Covers the 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds at 125mph. Now that's a real car.

Not bad for a family hatchback, I suppose.

Not quite as useful as a Ferrari FXX, however.

The FXX is based on the Enzo. The basic Enzo has 790hp; does 0-60 in 3.1; 0-100 in 6.6; 1/4 mile in 11.0 @ 136mph and has a top speed of 221mph.

The FXX is, of course, even faster than this.

And it can go around corners too.

P.

The FXX is based on the Enzo. The basic Enzo has 790hp; does 0-60 in 3.1; 0-100 in 6.6; 1/4 mile in 11.0 @ 136mph and has a top speed of 221mph.

P.

This seems like an episode of "Top Gear"!!

P.

Yes but the Shelby is around $60,000.

What stock cars are out there that are under $100,000 and can go to 200MPH?

Ahh, the new Shelby can go around corner to, the new carbon fiber gearbox and better traction allow it to do corners to. Not well, but most likely the best handling mustang ever made.

P.

If only it wasn't a Ferrari. Then I would care. If it isn't American, I couldn't care less.

If only it wasn't a Ferrari. Then I would care. If it isn't American, I couldn't care less.

That's saying: I like fast cars but not the fastest.

But fair enough if you only like American cars.

I prefer a good balance of power, speed, handling and fuel consumption.

Weight and how it is distributed has a lot to do with how fast a car can be.

That's saying: I like fast cars but not the fastest.

But fair enough if you only like American cars.

I prefer a good balance of power, speed, handling and fuel consumption.

Weight and how it is distributed has a lot to do with how fast a car can be.

Except some of the fastest cars in the world are made in the USA. In fact, the fastest car in the world is American made.

Gentlemen, please direct your attention to the following website:

http://www.sscnorthamerica.com/

The car in the video that plays when you go to the website is the fastest car in the world.

Yes, a concept car.

I kind of laughed when i read: Top Speed (Projected): 276 mph

They haven't even reached it yet!

You have any idea how many cars are like this out there?

A few years ago Gumpert announced they were going to make a car with 2000HP that would beat the Bugatti. Now? Nothing

Whats so great about the Bugatti is that you can drive it daily. Sure we have all these cars that have 1000-1500HP but after a day on the track they need to be sent to the shop to get maintenance. I believe with a Bugatti you only have to send it ever year for a maintenance check.

Yes, a concept car.

I kind of laughed when i read: Top Speed (Projected): 276 mph

They haven't even reached it yet!

You have any idea how many cars are like this out there?

A few years ago Gumpert announced they were going to make a car with 2000HP that would beat the Bugatti. Now? Nothing

Whats so great about the Bugatti is that you can drive it daily. Sure we have all these cars that have 1000-1500HP but after a day on the track they need to be sent to the shop to get maintenance. I believe with a Bugatti you only have to send it ever year for a maintenance check.

It's not a concept. They're already building and selling them. They just haven't done the top speed run yet.

If they have not done a top speed and proven they are the fastest then they are not the fastest,

Then if and when they prove they are the fastest it will be a few weeks before another Italian car beats it.

Face it, long term, consistently, historically, American cars have not been the fastest.

Archived