Gibson Brands Forums

The Avett Brothers

Hairy Dave

Absolutely loving these guys at the minute - can't believe I'm so late getting onto the Avett Brothers wagon!!! Murder in the City, Bella Donna, The Lowering... I could go on all day!

Immensely talented AND they play some nice Gibsons too [biggrin]

not familiar with their work in a big way , but i absolutley adore this song !

just so good

Literally can't get them out of my head!! It's just as well we don't listen to cassette tapes anymore as I'd have worn it out by now. Was given ten of their albums/EPs last night and cannot wait to get through them all! I love the feelin you get when you discover a new singer/band/album. I feel like a kid at Christmas at the minute!

Doesn't look like they'll be in the UK anytime soon though [sad]

Yeah, that was pretty cool from those couple Hillybilly .... though seems the Dobermann couldnt make up his mind if he liked it or not ..

not familiar with their work in a big way , but i absolutley adore this song !

just so good

They're terrific -- I'm hooked as well. If you haven't checked out their performance at the Grammys with Mumford & Sons and Bob Dylan (from 2011 maybe?), do yourself a favor. I just missed them in concert when they came through Virginia, but I heard they were dynamite. Great songwriting, great instrumentation (for my taste), and tons of energy.

What I like about them most is that their sound tends to be more upbeat than a lot of the modern "Americana" / "y'allternative" stuff. I generally love the Ryan Adams-Uncle Tupelo type stuff, but if you listen to enough of it, you want to jump off a bridge. The Avetts manage to capture that sound really well without bumming me out.

New album coming out in September!

Just finished "I'll Be Here in the Morning" which is a compilation of essays written by over forty top artists who've been influence by Townes Van Zandt. Scott Avett lists Townes (and Doc Watson) as prime influences.

I'll have to check out Amazon for a copy - thanks for the tip.

They're terrific -- I'm hooked as well. If you haven't checked out their performance at the Grammys with Mumford & Sons and Bob Dylan (from 2011 maybe?), do yourself a favor. I just missed them in concert when they came through Virginia, but I heard they were dynamite. Great songwriting, great instrumentation (for my taste), and tons of energy.

What I like about them most is that their sound tends to be more upbeat than a lot of the modern "Americana" / "y'allternative" stuff. I generally love the Ryan Adams-Uncle Tupelo type stuff, but if you listen to enough of it, you want to jump off a bridge. The Avetts manage to capture that sound really well without bumming me out.

New album coming out in September!

I've noticed that performance on YouTube but haven't managed to watch it yet - I'm working my way to it haha

I like Mumford and Sons too - but much prefer AB from what I've listened to so far. Both bands have fantastic energy.

Didn't know about the September album - REALLY lookin forward to that now!

what album should be my first purchase then??

i'm not a big fan of rhinestone country but i love country music like the song above.

I'm only working my way through them myself. The Second Gleam has two of my favourite tracks (see first post). I've only dipped into a few albums and some of the earlier stuff is fantastic too. Four Thieves Gone has some great tracks.

what album should be my first purchase then??

i'm not a big fan of rhinestone country but i love country music like the song above.

"Emotionalism" is primarily driven by banjo and guitar, and "I and Love and You" is primarily piano and guitar. Both are good but "I and Love and You" is a bit more polished (perhaps a bit more poppy as well). 10,000 Words is on "I and Love and You", and is pretty consistent with the vibe of that album.

I'm only working my way through them myself. The Second Gleam has two of my favourite tracks (see first post). I've only dipped into a few albums and some of the earlier stuff is fantastic too. Four Thieves Gone has some great tracks.

I haven't spent as much time with the Second Gleam -- Murder in the City is an incredible song though. Think I need to get into that album some more. BBG, that might be a good one for you to start with too (also I think it's an EP so might be cheaper).

Absolutely loving these guys at the minute - can't believe I'm so late getting onto the Avett Brothers wagon!!! Murder in the City, Bella Donna, The Lowering... I could go on all day!

Immensely talented AND they play some nice Gibsons too [biggrin]

Dave: A good way to stumble onto more of the same is to check about the music section of www.npr.org, which National Public Radio in the U.S. A lot of Americana there. I have discovered a lot of great new bands on the Mountain Stage section there.

Dave: A good way to stumble onto more of the same is to check about the music section of www.npr.org, which National Public Radio in the U.S. A lot of Americana there. I have discovered a lot of great new bands on the Mountain Stage section there.

Thanks for the tip Craig. Gonna enjoy a while browsing NPR on YouTube I think :)

Ever heard of needtobreathe? Another of my favourites.

Took you a while then Dave!!

I know Spot - fist EP released in 2002 and I stumble on it ten years later haha - thanks to this forum I have to add! Apparently there's this guy called Bob Dylan and he's pretty good too ;-)

Hi Hairydave.

You should listen to Bob Harris Country on Radio 2 Thursdays 7-8pm (unless of course you already do!) I'd not heard of them either until quite recently and loved what I heard too.

Cheers

Hi AJ,

Thanks - I might just do that. I work Thursday nights so I'll need to record it somehow - unless it's available on iPlayer? I'll check it out.

Hi AJ,

Thanks - I might just do that. I work Thursday nights so I'll need to record it somehow - unless it's available on iPlayer? I'll check it out.

Yes it's available on iplayer for 1 week. I always try to leave work late on Thursdays so I can catch it in the car. It's my favourite radio show by a mile.

Archived