Gibson Brands Forums

newbie question about setup

fhlh

Good Day all...

Quick. I have a 2012 Epiphone LP Standard Pro. Purchased from zZounds.

Great guitar, really love playing it, but the Buzz from the E, and A strings are getting a bit too much.

I took the guitar to a Gibson/Epi authorized dealer (Fuller Vintage Guitars in Houston) and they worked the truss rod and set the action even lower and it plays like butter, but it's still a bit buzzy.

ONLY thing I can think of is the heat and humidity down here in Houston. When I tested it at Fuller, it was pretty darn good... slight buzz, but much better than when I dropped it off.

However, after I got home and continued to play the instrument, it seemed to get worse and worse.

Disclaimer: YES, the guitar sat in its hard case in my car in the parking garage for about 5 hours after I picked it up. Car was not in the sun, inside temps were most likely in the 90's...

I changed the E, and A and that helped a little, but as soon as those loosen up, I'm sure it'll return...

Edit: I use Ernie Ball 10-46 strings.

So, I guess I have a few newb questions?

1. Is it supposed to buzz the E,A? (Going to the Guitar Center at lunch to play a couple LP's to see... )

2. I just know the heat had something to do with it.

3. Should I take it back and ask them to redo it? I don't mind paying again, because leaving it in the car was my bad.

4. If I do 3, is there something else I should ask to be done? fretwork?...

I'm very green at setups. If someone has a good reference I could read about this, please post.

I did search this topic, but the forum didn't find anything.... that or I'm bad at searching forums.

Edit: Found this topic. Will read up

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/84661-sg-g400-fret-buzz/page__p__1161099__hl__cleaning__fromsearch__1#entry1161099

TIA

Does it buzz through the amp or do you only hear it when you play unplugged? Is it just on one or two frets or accross a region of the fretboard (i.e. upper half or lower half)? If you back off on your pick attack does it go away? I find that all my guitars buzz a little acoustically on the wound strings if I pick too hard, but there isn't any affect through the amp. If it's not coming through the amp I don't worry about it.

I doubt that sitting in the car did any permanent damage, but could have thrown your setup out of whack a little. It's pretty easy to do a setup and there are plenty of sources online. First thing I would do is check the neck relief. Generallly speaking if the buzz is on the lower half of the fretboard you want to loosen the truss rod a little, and if it's on the upper half you want to raise the bridge a little.

just back off 1/8 turn on the truss rod should cure that or raise that side of the bridge a tic.

+1. Just takes a few minutes to do both. because of seasonal differences in temp and humidity, necks will bow or backbow a little from time to time, no big deal.

If you don't have it already, you should get Dan Erlewine's 'How to make your electric guitar play great' from StewMac. Teaches you how to do set ups yourself, lots of pics and text. Excellent book that every guitarist should own.

Glad you found the topic. I put up (and have for several years) this link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

It is meant for those that are looking to get started with the basics.

That is what it covers. It gives the basic reference points. (including adjusting the truss rod)

After that it is a matter of taste and experience.

Unless you live in an area where the weather never changes, most guitars need adjustments a couple times a year.

No big deal. It is nice, however, when you can do the basics yourself.

After all, nothing worse than leaving a guitar for two days with a "tech" to get 5 minutes work done.

Then you get it back with a scratch, scar or chip and the statement....

"It must have been there when you brought it in".

Willy

Does it buzz through the amp or do you only hear it when you play unplugged? Is it just on one or two frets or accross a region of the fretboard (i.e. upper half or lower half)? If you back off on your pick attack does it go away? I find that all my guitars buzz a little acoustically on the wound strings if I pick too hard, but there isn't any affect through the amp. If it's not coming through the amp I don't worry about it.

I doubt that sitting in the car did any permanent damage, but could have thrown your setup out of whack a little. It's pretty easy to do a setup and there are plenty of sources online. First thing I would do is check the neck relief. Generallly speaking if the buzz is on the lower half of the fretboard you want to loosen the truss rod a little, and if it's on the upper half you want to raise the bridge a little.

THIS!

This is exactly what is happening. Doesn't come through the amp at all.

So from what was said... I just need to get the book and continue reading willy's weebsite/guide and I'll get this licked... pun intended.

Thanks all! I'll let you know how my tweaking turns out.

Archived