Gibson Brands Forums

George Harrison & Eric Clapton- Taxman (Live)

Searcy

Blackie!

Well, sort of. Not the original "Blackie", but an earlier Clapton Model Signature Series Strat. (Lace Sensors, note there are no exposed pole pieces). The green sparkle Strat the third guitarist is playing is also a Clapton Model. I never really warmed to the sound of those (with me playing them anyway! a good friend had one I heard weekly). But I nearly bought a green one, happened to try it in a local shop in Lansing to demo the "new" 4/10 Bassman amp (early 1990s), and the guitar just had "the feel". You know the one, it says "take me home!". I've bought some that screamed that over the years, and regretted the few I did not. This was one of them.

Happy now though, that seemingly EC tired of the Lace Sensors (or permitted Fender to update his Signaure Series), as I found a great reason to pick up a black Stratocaster, a 2007 Clapton Signature Strat with the new "Noisless" pickups, which I like SO much better than the Lace Sensors. The active electronics now to me sound much more organic than the Lace Sensors ever did. And yes, on it's headstock, it does say "Blackie". Though the guy I bought her from tells me her name is Roberta.

Well, sort of. Not the original "Blackie", but an earlier Clapton Model Signature Series Strat. (Lace Sensors, note there are no exposed pole pieces). The green sparkle Strat the third guitarist is playing is also a Clapton Model. I never really warmed to the sound of those (with me playing them anyway! a good friend had one I heard weekly). But I nearly bought a green one, happened to try it in a local shop in Lansing to demo the "new" 4/10 Bassman amp (early 1990s), and the guitar just had "the feel". You know the one, it says "take me home!". I've bought some that screamed that over the years, and regretted the few I did not. This was one of them.

Happy now though, that seemingly EC tired of the Lace Sensors (or permitted Fender to update his Signaure Series), as I found a great reason to pick up a black Stratocaster, a 2007 Clapton Signature Strat with the new "Noisless" pickups, which I like SO much better than the Lace Sensors. The active electronics now to me sound much more organic than the Lace Sensors ever did. And yes, on it's headstock, it does say "Blackie". Though the guy I bought her from tells me her name is Roberta.

+1 on the active electronics and the new noiseless pckups... [thumbup]

Archived