Gibson Brands Forums

New LP Studio sounds great, but...

tfs4473

This is my first post here, and I'm hoping for a little guidance on a new LP Studio.

I bought a LP Studio recently (in arctic white with all-black hardware... very slick), and I have to say that it sounds great through my rig. However, the bloody thing won't stay in tune. I know this is a pretty common thread around here, but I have tried a number of solutions mentioned by forum members to no avail. Up to this point I have:

- Changed the stock strings to D'Addario 10s (and made sure to wind them correctly on the machine heads)

- Had a reputable luthier work the nut slots a little and added a lube (which has eliminated the *tink* of the strings binding)

- Checked the innotation (note the same when harmonic played and the note fretted on the 12th fret)

- Let the strings have over a week to stretch out (and bent them a lot while playing)

- Tuners are stock Grovers.

Nevertheless, it still won't stay in tune for long, going both sharp or flat at times, and it's going on with more than just the treble strings. I very much enjoy playing it, but it's hard to "get into it" when between every song (and sometimes in the middle of one) I have to pause to retune.

So, what have I overlooked? Do I just need to play the be-jeezus out of it and "break it in" (haven't had time to give it a lot of playing time), or is there something else at work here?

Any input or suggestions are welcome.

Thom

This is my first post here, and I'm hoping for a little guidance on a new LP Studio.

I bought a LP Studio recently (in arctic white with all-black hardware... very slick), and I have to say that it sounds great through my rig. However, the bloody thing won't stay in tune. I know this is a pretty common thread around here, but I have tried a number of solutions mentioned by forum members to no avail. Up to this point I have:

- Changed the stock strings to D'Addario 10s (and made sure to wind them correctly on the machine heads)

- Had a reputable luthier work the nut slots a little and added a lube (which has eliminated the *tink* of the strings binding)

- Checked the innotation (note the same when harmonic played and the note fretted on the 12th fret)

- Let the strings have over a week to stretch out (and bent them a lot while playing)

- Tuners are stock Grovers.

Nevertheless, it still won't stay in tune for long, going both sharp or flat at times, and it's going on with more than just the treble strings. I very much enjoy playing it, but it's hard to "get into it" when between every song (and sometimes in the middle of one) I have to pause to retune.

So, what have I overlooked? Do I just need to play the be-jeezus out of it and "break it in" (haven't had time to give it a lot of playing time), or is there something else at work here?

Any input or suggestions are welcome.

Thom

Hello Thom,

Had similar problem on LP Traditional. Had Gibson tech work the nut(twice) and smooth the bridge saddles. Finally put a bone nut with a different luthier. Don't know that a combination of things helped me.

Glenn

I'm not the best person to offer advice since I'm having the same issue with my SG (i posted another thread about that in the SG forum). I do not have this problem on my LP Studio, but on my SG its very frustrating, and I have tried many of the same things you have.

So I'm posting mostly to to say I commiserate with you, and please post when you find the solution. Your comment about the "tink" is interesting (since I know exactly what your talking about there and can even hear it in my head [smile] ). When the Luthier did the work and handed it back did he say all was good? Or that he couldn't find an issue?

AlanH -- that's pretty much the way I string my guitars, but thanks for posting that video.

Vega1 -- I was not able to talk to the tech afterward (he leaves the shop at 4:30 and I don't get off work until 5:00). However, I left him my cell number to call if anything wonky came up other than having the nut dressed some and checking the innotation.

Which reminds me... do most folks use the method of setting innotation recommended by Gibson (adjusting the saddles so that the same note is achieved when playing a harmonic on the 12th fret and when fretting the note at the 12th fret)?

If I come up with the solution I'll post an update, but until then please keep the ideas coming. Most of what I've heard on another forum is that I should give up on the stock nut and go for bone or Tusq.

Thom

AlanH -- that's pretty much the way I string my guitars, but thanks for posting that video.

OK it was worth a try, Thom.

Out of interest, does your guitar sound out of tune as you press the strings, particularly those in the lower registers when playing open chords? This could indicate that your nut is too high for your fretting style. It may need taking out very carefully and filing down on its underside. Gibsons always come with a higher than average nut to take in to account those players who depress lightly.

OK it was worth a try, Thom.

Out of interest, does your guitar sound out of tune as you press the strings, particularly those in the lower registers when playing open chords? This could indicate that your nut is too high for your fretting style. It may need taking out very carefully and filing down on its underside. Gibsons always come with a higher than average nut to take in to account those players who depress lightly.

Alan:

Actually, the action was about perfect for me the way it came from Musicians Friend, so that part hasn't needed to be adjusted. I think with a little futzing last night I have the innotation about right now, so it's looking more like the nut is the culprit. The instability in tuning is better than when I first got the LP, so what the tech did to it has helped, but I think I may just have a new nut installed. Tusq or bone? Thoughts, everyone.

I do enjoy the way it sounds, though. One last adjustment (I hope), and I will be one happy guitarist.

Thanks.

Thom

I read a lot about replacing and re stringing, when I first received my LP Studio. I found a video on YouTube from a guy who was a tech from some band...

He showed a very cool way, may be very common, I don't know, way of stringing when replacing your strings. Since doing this, at least for me it has stayed in tune during my hour long practice sessions, I will re tune it, after pulling it out of the gig bag, due to the contact...

I have just received another LP, and have not replaced the strings just yet, but it also stays in tune, but I have been stretching the strings occasionally. So no real problem there, I guess its a good idea to get in the habit of doing this.

I will see if I can find it and post, its real easy to do, and very clean winding, I also do this on my acoustic, and it stays in tune as well.

Alan:

Actually, the action was about perfect for me the way it came from Musicians Friend, so that part hasn't needed to be adjusted.

Just to clear up, you know I was talking about nut action rather than bridge action, right?

I am kind of having the same issue with my "new to me " studio, and only a few strings (namely the G and B strings). Although in my case I did lower the action a bit... Subscribing to see the outcome.

Those two strings are the main culprits for string binding in the nut. Graphite shavings from a pencil in to the nut slots should stop any little pinging sounds when you tune up or down with the tuning pegs.

Those two strings are the main culprits for string binding in the nut. Graphite shavings from a pencil in to the nut slots should stop any little pinging sounds when you tune up or down with the tuning pegs.

Yep, but you raise a good point: with I new nut I may want to revisit the string height at that end of the neck. I'm playing it now and the overall string height (both at the nut and further up the neck) is fine... it's just that the tuning keeps wandering. I have noticed, though, that it's the G and A strings (and a little the bass E) that are the most guilty of being problematic.

If anyone want to see it, here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106457762830998.11298.100004003231466&type=3&l=628105bca0 The picture was taken about five minutes after I unboxed it.. it still has the tags under the volume controls indicating the coil-spliting feature. It now has strap locks, too.

Thom

Kind of what I figured after reading a bit, but thank you for confirming my thoughts on it! Been away from playing for a while and glad there is a great resource, like this forum, where I can pick the brain of more experienced members!

Yep, but you raise a good point: with I new nut I may want to revisit the string height at that end of the neck. I'm playing it now and the overall string height (both at the nut and further up the neck) is fine... it's just that the tuning keeps wandering. I have noticed, though, that it's the G and A strings (and a little the bass E) that are the most guilty of being problematic.

If anyone want to see it, here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106457762830998.11298.100004003231466&type=3&l=628105bca0 The picture was taken about five minutes after I unboxed it.. it still has the tags under the volume controls indicating the coil-spliting feature. It now has strap locks, too.

Thom

I hope it works out for you brother, that is a beautiful guitar!

Nice!

I've taken the liberty of posting it here for you:

523850_106457799497661_2016914050_n.jpg

Almost all my Gibsons in the last few years have the tight string in the nut slots. If you installed the strings and stretched them to seat on the post properly, you can do a quick test as follows:

Tune the guitar properly. Now, depress each string between the nut and the tuning post. Check the string again; if it's sharp you know it binds and the nut has to be widened and polished. If it goes back to tune...you're OK. Now, do a deep bend on the same string; check the tuning, if flat then the nut binds...polish/widen the nut slot and also lubricate.

If the nut slots have the correct height, you can get 1000 grit sand paper, fold it and try to polish the sides of the nut polishing at an angle towards the tuners from the slot. I've folded sandpaper around feeler gauges, and made polishing the slots easier. It's part of the fun in owning a Gibson...if you like fiddling. [thumbup]

Archived