Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird Pick Guard Vent

iwalktheline

Hmmmm... interesting. That would explain a lot to me personally. I seem to see 60's and 70's Birds with good design intact... don't know if this is generally the case? The design on my 2011 HB TV started wearing off almost straight away.. I tend to use the guard as a rhythm tool when i play.

I'm sure Gibson must have tried other paints..... and I'm sure there must be a way of making the design more permanent... but it no doubt comes down to cost...

but like I say I like the worn in look so

I sold a 1961 Hummingbird that I had owned since 1963 about 3 years ago. The pick guard and all the hummingbirds and trumpet flowers on that guitar were still in excellent shape after 49 years so I guess Gibson should look back at the past for a solution. OTOH the cherry burst had faded considerably over the years. Kinda miss it. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... I guess Gibson should look back at the past for a solution. ...

Not an option. That paint, which was manufactured in Germany, was later banned in the U.S., Germany, and everywhere else with a government at all interested in preserving the lives and heath of its citizens. 50 years later, there's still nothing available that wears and sticks as well. Hence, the attempts at alternate solutions.

-- Bob R

I sold a 1961 Hummingbird that I had owned since 1963 about 3 years ago. The pick guard and all the hummingbirds and trumpet flowers on that guitar were still in excellent shape after 49 years so I guess Gibson should look back at the past for a solution. OTOH the cherry burst had faded considerably over the years. Kinda miss it. :)

Hey Mandolin1944 - wellcome.

3 questions comes to mind :

How did the guitar change voice over the years and how did it end up sounding ?

Do you have any pictures of that old friend ?

How on earth could you pass it on ?

Archived