Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Gibson Pelham Blue

Hi

When I see pictures of the SG Pelham blue guitars of the past they are green (I like the look).Is that the color they turn with age? I know they had the color out a few years ago. I am wondering if an order was placed through the cutom shop to get the aged color would be possible? I am sure it would not be cheap either the standard colors make more sense or a used modern one would make more economic sense.It is nice to future plan!

Has anyone placed a custom order is it a popluar option?

Guest farnsbarns

Hi

When I see pictures of the SG Pelham blue guitars of the past they are green (I like the look).Is that the color they turn with age? I know they had the color out a few years ago. I am wondering if an order was placed through the cutom shop to get the aged color would be possible? I am sure it would not be cheap either the standard colors make more sense or a used modern one would make more economic sense.It is nice to future plan!

Has anyone placed a custom order is it a popluar option?

No I haven't, but I do know it was a Cadillac colour and is still available, you can also buy slightly yellow lacquer which normally happens with age and is what turns old pelham blue guitars green.

Thanks

I thought that greenish color was cool.I was reading a guitar magazine and Lenny Kravitz had this cool SG with a maestro in pelham blue which was more green in color that looked cool.

Although my ES335 and 58 Les Paul VOS share a lot of playing time an SG reissue would be a nice addition in the long term. I was thinking of a custom shop tele to replace one that I had sold a few years ago that I regrette selling.I guess I will have to plan for my next GIbson.

Nitrocellulose lacquer tends to yellow as it ages. On a blue finish, it can take on a greenish appearance (yellow + blue = green). If the instrument is exposed to cigarette smoke (i.e. playing in smokey bars) this can cause a greenish appearance to the finish.

Shamus, here's a pic of my LP Custom in Aged Pelham Blue. It is very green and impressive in front of your eyes. Looks awesome under stage lights! Just thought I'd give you another idea of what the color looks like.

DSCF2726.jpg

• Upvote 1

Shamus, here's a pic of my LP Custom in Aged Pelham Blue. It is very green and impressive in front of your eyes. Looks awesome under stage lights! Just thought I'd give you another idea of what the color looks like.

DSCF2726.jpg

Thats beautiful!

Guest farnsbarns

DSCF2726.jpg

Wow, what a colour, I've never seen one that green/yellow before. Lovely guitar!