Gibson Brands Forums

Motor City Pickups

damian

Never even heard of them (and I live here...). But I generally don't do aftermarket p'ups. Any info on them? (Found their website, heard anything else not already there?).

Yes, made in Detroit.....I've briefly played guitars with them.....Their site is full of "mojo hype", but they know what they're doing winding-wise.....

There's quite a few really good PU makers these days, and if one knows what they want, and understands the building process, one can really

nail the PU tone one wants.......I had an agreement to pick up a custom wound set from a private seller, but, seems like he sold them elsewhere;

I was hoping for additional feedback (pun intended) from anyone here who has them.....Guess I'll wait a while now; I wait for used, and/or wait

for a winder to have a sale which includes custom winds.......

I heard of them, and wondered about them too. Good to see them being made in Motown.

They make pretty aggressive winds, but they also make some "vintage" winds that are very good...Jerry Cantrell uses MCPs.....

I already have the specs I want for a set from them; I want PUs from them that sound like Gibby 57s, but with more clarity and bite......

Looked at them (and a slew of others) when I was replacing the pups in a Les Paul. But I couldn't find any first hand info either. There is a giant PAF based thread ver at MLP. Someon there probably knows something - in fact the winder of those pups may hang out there a lot of them do.

Archived