Gibson Brands Forums

N G D

fingers galore

NGD! Here is my new addition to the family. The Midtown Custom caught my eye when they came out but I was bit skeptical of the Richlite fretboard. I prefer the 50´s neck profile so I was reluctant to commit but GAS got the best of me. What a fantastic guitar! Hats off to Gibson! The Richlite fretboard plays like butter. It feels and looks similar to ebony. The fret work is immaculate as is the rest of this beauty. The only flaw I could find is the bridge volume knob. When the volume is on full the knob shows 0 as you can see in the last picture. Since that is an easy fix I am not sweating it. The ebony finish looks killer. It sounds and plays beautifully! Unplugged it rings like a bell. I was only able to play it for an hour and a half or so because I had to go to work. I will give it a proper test at band practice next week. I will have to get used to the 60`s neck but I can already tell that I am fine with it. Surprisingly, the upper fret access feels weird to me because I am used to having to stretch when playing my LP. I never thought I would buy a semi-acoustic but I am happy I did. It exceeded my expectations by far. If you are contemplating buying a Midtown do not hesitate. You will not be disappointed. Especially considering the price! An honorable mention must be given to my wife. She not only urged me to buy one but also helped me decide on the ebony finish. Enough rambling. Here are the pics. Sorry about the crappy quality. I will post better ones when I get a chance. Now, off to play........

20120630_114154.jpg

20120630_103814.jpg

20120630_114204.jpg

PICT1285.jpg

Specs: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Custom.aspx

Yeah, it's pretty... so what.

Yeah it's not quite a traditional semi. So what.

Yeah, it's got some nontraditional "stuff" in its making. So what.

What I find absolutely beautiful about it for you is that it seems it wants to play for you.

That is priceless.

Glad you're happy!

m

I'd like to comment on a related subject that's been discussed before - It's interesting that Gibson decided to spread out the use of their split diamond inlay, traditionally reserved for Custom Shop models. It's appearing on more USA guitars, like the Midtown and Classic LP. Not a big deal, but interesting as is the introduction of different fingerboard materials like synthetics, layered rosewood, and alternative woods.

It's easy to tell from your comment you're in love with your new Midtown.

Really nice looking guitar.

Congrats. . B)

Awesome guitar, congrats and enjoy it! Looking forward to seeing more pics (but those are actually pretty good.

I'd like to comment on a related subject that's been discussed before - It's interesting that Gibson decided to spread out the use of their split diamond inlay, traditionally reserved for Custom Shop models. It's appearing on more USA guitars, like the Midtown and Classic LP. Not a big deal, but interesting as is the introduction of different fingerboard materials like synthetics, layered rosewood, and alternative woods.

It's easy to tell from your comment you're in love with your new Midtown.

Really nice looking guitar.

Congrats. . B)

Always one to point out the obvious here, those two models do both have "Custom" in the title. Guessing that's what prompted the inclusion of the split diamond. Glad they did, it looks great!

Y'know...

The more I think about it, the happier for you I am.

A guitar that seems to fit the player and that seems to help the player's technique, is a rare find.

There are thousands of guitar styles and shapes and even grades of quality, but only a very few will somehow be more responsive to a given player. The player who has guitars that have that almost magic feel to them is certainly smiled upon by providence.

m

Y'know...

The more I think about it, the happier for you I am.

A guitar that seems to fit the player and that seems to help the player's technique, is a rare find.

There are thousands of guitar styles and shapes and even grades of quality, but only a very few will somehow be more responsive to a given player. The player who has guitars that have that almost magic feel to them is certainly smiled upon by providence.

m

Yep what M says.

congrats.

Those Midtowns do look really nice. I haven't seen one in person yet. I'll be interested to see where the sound falls in the LP to 335 spectrum.

Congrats! Enjoy (...and I'm sure you will).

.... Always one to point out the obvious here, those two models do both have "Custom" in the title. Guessing that's what prompted the inclusion of the split diamond. ....

Most likely. Sometimes the use of the word "Custom" causes an interesting naming problem. Case in point: the LP Custom Axcess as it was called when first produced few years ago, with the "Les Paul MODEL" script on the headstock. Then Gibson came out with a Custom LP Custom Axcess with the split diamond inlay on the headstock. With all the confusion surrounding that mash up, Gibson is now calling the original LP Custom Axcess the Les Paul Axcess Standard. If you follow the links you can see how the naming of these models is confusing, even for the sellers - check this Sweetwater listing.

Thanks everyone! Just a quick update. Now that I have had time to play the guitar a few days I am still just as happy and thrilled about it. I took it to band practice last evening and played it almost the whole time. It sounds killer! It is very versatile. It sounds nice and crisp but also has plenty of balls when needed. The notes are very articulate and clear but it still packs plenty of punch when playing lead. The tone is Les Paul-esque but doesn`t have quite the thump, obviously. It cleans up nicely when rolling off the volume. The cleans are wonderful. You also easily get AC/DC type sounds and can even get close to metal with a pedal. My band mates were mighty impressed with the tone as well. I took some more pictures this morning but it has been difficult. The gloss top reflects like a mirror but I managed to get few decent ones. Another thing I love about the guitar is the smell! It smells amazing! [love] Here are a few more snaps.

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

That is beautiful!

Never had a regular acoustic or an electric hollow body.

I am very tempted to pick up one of these later, and I like how thin it is.

I read the comments on Gibson's page about quality control on some units, I hope they start clearing that.

Archived