Gibson Brands Forums

guitar trade

davidl

A buddy wants my robot Les Paul and I'm thinking about a straight trade for his American deluxe Tele.

Both in pristine condition.

I don't have a tele, but probably should.

The only problem is that I really like the pups on the Les paul stdio/robot.

If I do this deal, I'll have to get a replacement Gibby with 490's.

Maybe a SG or if I can swing it a Custom.

Thoughts?

I say keep the robot.

A tele is great, but if you love the sound of a guitar then i'm sure you can wait and buy a tele later.

Good point. I have to think on this a bit.

Hmmm.

Good point. I have to think on this a bit.

Hmmm.

There are some real economical and quite good Teles out there now if you don't mind buying a Mexican built guitar (built 180 miles from where the American guitars are made).

I just bought a Road Worn 50s Tele and it is a phenomenal guitar, great feel, Tex Mex Pickups and a great sound. There is the Classic Player Baja Telecaster, with a (US) Custom Shop set of pickups, Nocaster in the bridge and Twisted Tele in the neck position. Has a custom switching set up (4 position toggle) that gets either pickup alone or both together in either series or parallel plus the S1 switch that puts the two paired pickup option out of phase or in phase, for a whole lot of tonal choices on what looks like a very normal Tele (comes in Black, Sunburst or Blonde with a black guard).

These are bargain guitars too. It'd be a shame to get rid of the Robot just because you "should" get a Tele (unless you happen to really love that particular Tele).

the S1-switching in the AD Tele can produce some convincing humbuckerish tones, BUT, i've seen a lot of threads on the Fender forum dealing with "electrical glitches" in the last 2 yr model AD Teles.....mostly problem with the S1 system.

make sure it's not one of the "afflicted" before really considering trading!

A buddy wants my robot Les Paul and I'm thinking about a straight trade for his American deluxe Tele.

Both in pristine condition.

I don't have a tele, but probably should.

The only problem is that I really like the pups on the Les paul stdio/robot.

If I do this deal, I'll have to get a replacement Gibby with 490's.

Maybe a SG or if I can swing it a Custom.

Thoughts?

I would never make this trade. You can get a Squire Tele for $99 all day long or build your dream Tele with Warmouth parts for $400. Nope. I'd keep the Robot.

Here is the thing: even if you don't like or use the "robot" features of the Gibson, some do and they are still worth more monatarily than your typical "regular" versions.

You can buy a good Tele that is roughly equal in quality to a Good LP for roughly half of an LP all day long.

Even a the Tele you are considering trading isn't worth what a "standard" LP is worth.

Unless there is cash involved, it isn't even worth a thought. It is like trading a Cadillac for a toyota truck because you need a truck.

Here is the thing: even if you don't like or use the "robot" features of the Gibson, some do and they are still worth more monatarily than your typical "regular" versions.

You can buy a good Tele that is roughly equal in quality to a Good LP for roughly half of an LP all day long.

Even a the Tele you are considering trading isn't worth what a "standard" LP is worth.

Unless there is cash involved, it isn't even worth a thought. It is like trading a Cadillac for a toyota truck because you need a truck.

+1

The monetary issue here is moot - a look on fleaBay will tell you the AD Strat and the LP Robot are worth about the same.

I would focus on your use of the robot features - automatic tuning and alternate tunings and whether or not you're really making use of them. If you're not, I say go for for the trade. Add that AD Strat to your stable and then down the road swing that Custom. Yeah, I like that.

I've given this a lot of thought and I agree with most of you.

If I come across a Tele that really speaks to me, I'll just buy it.

I've set my robot perfectly for me and I play it often. I wouldn't play a Tele as much so decision made.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Trade a Gibson for a Fender?

Do you even have to think about this one?

I'd take the Fender any day of the week!

Sorry Gibson [tongue]

Oh, I just traded a Gibson for a Fender. Both NOS. The the Gibson was a duplicate of one I still have, and the Fender was the guitar I was gassing for the worst. Plus, their approximate value was very close to identical, both new and used (actually, the Fender typically sold for a few dollars more, and with the current discount/sale sells for a few dollars less, but neither of us paid what is even the current going rate). Win win to me.

But this one sounds different. I'd be surprised if the values are equal (though one poster said they are, another said they're not even close). That would have to be known before considering the trade.

But I'll ask again, is THIS the Tele you specifically want? There are a lot of models to chose from, and a wide variety of pricing options (keep in mind the current discounts from Fender, and the fact that some Dealers may well deal below even that number). What are each guitar typically selling for used? But again, most important, is it THIS model of Tele you really want, or is this a trade of convenience? Is this THE guitar, a special feel or calling to you (highly rated in value assessment).

Archived