Gibson Brands Forums

New poster with a question on a Barney Kessel model

biglionfan

Hey guys, new poster here....

I've been interested in the double cutaway Barney Kessel model for sometime. But they are not easy to find and expensive. Does anyone know if there were any similar guitars made under different names?? That is, did gibson do other double cutaway florentine models?? Or even better, if epiphone made any?

thanks!

Hey guys, new poster here....

I've been interested in the double cutaway Barney Kessel model for sometime. But they are not easy to find and expensive. Does anyone know if there were any similar guitars made under different names?? That is, did gibson do other double cutaway florentine models?? Or even better, if epiphone made any?

thanks!

You may want to check out the Johnny A. model. It is current production and very similar.

You may want to check out the Johnny A. model. It is current production and very similar.

Thanks, and HOLEY CRAP! Way too expensive. But you're right. Very close. Anyone have an idea if other past models had that double florentine cutaway?? I was really hoping epi had made a run.

I have been after Gibson/Epi to make a run of the Johnny A. guitars for a long time. Hopefully it will happen soon. On the other hand, every JA guitar I have played is worth the money. I am not familiar with any other double Florentine cutaways from Gibson

Your sure are correct about the Johnny A, I have played a couple at Dave's Guitar and almost bought it both times. They are really nice playing and sounding guitars. I ended up with one of the 18 Guild GSR Starfires instead and am very happy with it.

Guild made a Studio ST-301, ST-302 and a ST-303 model that was a laminated thinline hollow body although some were made with a full depth body. They were midline instruments with a double florentine cutaway and available with single coils or humbuckers. They were built 1968-72 and while not common they come up occasionally and don't sell for too much. Check them out as you may like them.

Thanks John

Your sure are correct about the Johnny A, I have played a couple at Dave's Guitar and almost bought it both times. They are really nice playing and sounding guitars. I ended up with one of the 18 Guild GSR Starfires instead and am very happy with it.

Guild made a Studio ST-301, ST-302 and a ST-303 model that was a laminated thinline hollow body although some were made with a full depth body. They were midline instruments with a double florentine cutaway and available with single coils or humbuckers. They were built 1968-72 and while not common they come up occasionally and don't sell for too much. Check them out as you may like them.

Thanks John

Appreciate it John... I've looked at some Guild singlecuts in the past. I'll check it out.

Appreciate it John... I've looked at some Guild singlecuts in the past. I'll check it out.

The Trini Lopez Deluxe had the same body, with different trim and soundholes, a shorter scale length (24.75" vs 25.4") and chrome hardware. Probably even more difficult to find than a Kessel.

Danny W.

The Trini Lopez Deluxe had the same body, with different trim and soundholes, a shorter scale length (24.75" vs 25.4") and chrome hardware. Probably even more difficult to find than a Kessel.

Danny W.

Pretty darn expensive too. I was hoping gibson had run one of the many semi hollow lines as a double at some point, or that epi had done one. They're big on limited series. I found an epi es-135 on e-bay, and I never knew they made one. Apparently it was a 1-year thing.

Danny W.

In the catalog description I posted above, it mentions nickel plating. I've never played one, though.

In the catalog description I posted above, it mentions nickel plating. I've never played one, though.

'66 catalog claims chrome--might have changed. I haven't played one in years and don't remember what they had.

Danny W.

Archived