Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan at Hop Farm, England

BigKahune

For Dylan fans an interesting bit -

By Andy Greene, Rollingstone, July 2, 2012 -

"Bob Dylan fans knew they were in for something special at England's Hop Farm Festival on Saturday when roadies wheeled a grand piano onto the stage before the show. Over the past decade Dylan has played a keyboard (while standing) for much of his set, but at Saturday's show he totally abandoned that instrument after opening the show with "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat." For eight of the show's 16 songs he sat behind the grand piano; during the rest he stood in the center of the stage while singing and playing harmonica. If he sticks to this set-up, it will be the biggest change to the look and sound of his stage show in a decade." . Rest of the article with videos - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-shocks-fans-by-playing-grand-piano-at-summer-tour-kick-off-20120702

Dylan never stops the surprises. First he went electric, now he goes Victor Borge.

Seriously – This is a case of ignited Bob. A couple of years back I decided not to see him as long as he stood sideways behind that stiff synth.

These versions of Love Sick and Tangled Up could change things. Though he kinda mess up the latter it's on fire – the harp melts down between his hands.

Hep for posting BK -

"All the people we used to know they're an illusion to us now

Some are mathematicians - some are carpenters wives

Don't know how it all got started - I don't know what they do with their lives"

B.D. approx. 1975

Yeah! As long as he has been doing his songs, he can do them any way that he likes!

Does not meen that I have to listen though!

I grabbed a sample dose....then turned it off!

We were ALMOST in synch, EM7.... :rolleyes:

'getting' dylan is akin to 'getting' neil young , start with the wrong album and you might dismiss it , but even if you never start worshipping him as i have in the past , he is worth studying. there's not many in the same league when it comes to songwriting .

i think he's a genius , but can understand totally people not liking his style.

i did go see him live in the middle of my bob is god phase and was underwhelmed, glad i went but wasnt blown away

his latest cd's i am a big fan of though.

he's just came on the radio here , spooky

start with a best of

To me, Dylan is the most complete one-man package of what the 60s were all about. The cold war, civil rights, Vietnam, protest, drugs and rock n roll. His sense of humor was uncanny in that time, " I'm just a song and dance man "

Until recently, I struggled to "get" him too. Never disliked him though. Like BBG says I bought a best of cd and loved it. Then I heard Simple Twist Of Fate on the radio which was the lightbulb moment for me. Not gone out and bought his back catalogue but will discover him at my own pace.

As a rule, if I go to see one of my favourite artists, I want the version I know not one which is wheeled out to keep the artist interested. But some people want the different versions so each to their own.

What album should a Dylan newbie with only the " best of" get next?

Until recently, I struggled to "get" him too. Never disliked him though. Like BBG says I bought a best of cd and loved it. Then I heard Simple Twist Of Fate on the radio which was the lightbulb moment for me. Not gone out and bought his back catalogue but will discover him at my own pace.

As a rule, if I go to see one of my favourite artists, I want the version I know not one which is wheeled out to keep the artist interested. But some people want the different versions so each to their own.

whats ure favourite song on the best of?

you mentioned simple twist of fate , blood on the tracks is arguably his best album ever ! good start i'd say

Tangled Up In Blue is probably my favourite from the best of cd. I was completely knocked sideways by Simple Twist Of Fate and couldn't wait to learn it.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is going to be my next purchase.

Cheers

Absolutely understand why a number of beginners wouldn't get Bob. Especially if they steer into some of his crappy or average stuff.

Certain live-things f.x. are unbearable bad and totally undermines the artists reputation.

Some veterans have trouble dealing with him too. I know a couple and though they respect the man, they just don't cope in flesh'n'blood. I think you have to be interested in poetry and how poetry handles existence to really catch the train.

A few years ago I decided to give 'my' keyboard-player an important Dylan album each time I saw him. It clicked up above 12 or something. Not sure he got smitten.

I would recommend to go for the real records to comprehend the context and how they worked in their respective times and mirrored Bob's own subjective journey. We can't afford to miss the corners as long as the albums are picked right. Allow me to try -

The Times Are a Changing – 1964. Uuuuuuoooohhh.

Bringing It All Back Home 1965. (Also called Subterranean Homesick Blues). Acoustic/electric half'n'half. The genius is loose.

Highway 61 Revisited – 1965. Watch it, , , it's even looser. Roll like a stone Mr. Jones, but don't get overrun by the title track, , , or Desolation Row !

Blonde on Blonde 1966. What may be the first double-album in rock history and a formidable tour de force. Oh lord, what a mountain – climb this plus the 2 '65-records and be changed forever. No matter year 2012 or your goddam so called age

Blood On The Tracks – 1975. Every song burns, , , or should we say bleeds. Strong stuff - did someone call it the divorce-album. . . .

After a 2-3 months with these I'd go further into -

John Wesley Harding – 1968. Very sparse, very strange even mysterious – acoustic guitars out of pitch and once again great great, but underplayed tunes.

Nashville Skyline – 1969. The controversy's over, now 'just' a tongue in cheek country-singer, , , but just as entertaining as corny. People seem to love the record. I still do.

New Morning – 1970. How for a different way to start the 70's. Bob gone a bit domestic, but continues to be the #1 house poet. Part of it written for a play or cabaret, which never levitated. The tunes did and give N.M. an intriguing otherly character. Three Angels for this release.

Planet Waves – 1974. With The Band, recorded over a short time. Subtitle : Moonglow - cast-iron songs and torch ballads – Feel the sparks all the way through. And stay Forever Young

Desire – 1976. Suddenly this monster carrying songs of protest, romantic longing, tale-telling and social awareness. The world embrased the whole thing as a hit.

Street Legal – 1978. Desperate barbed wire rock. "The hay was gettin' untied, , , and the wind was rising".

Slow Train Coming – 1979. First traces of his meeting w. the big chief – not too much yet. Many listeners felt betrayed. I just said aha and played the vinyl again, , , and again.

Oh Mercy – 1989. His meeting w. Daniel Lanois. Boy this one was welcome, , , and don't forget to check the outtakes. . .

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan – 1963. All acoustic – on the extrovert.

Another Side of Bob Dylan – 1964. All acoustic – on the introvert.

There you go for my 55 yen.

Take the path - it won't be regretted. . . .

nashville skyline

I like the cover, hint, Gibson content [thumbup]

the credits show Norman Blake, Charlie Daniels, and Johnny Cash to name a few that helped sing and play guitar!

nashville skyline

I like the cover, hint, Gibson content [thumbup]

the credits show Norman Blake, Charlie Daniels, and Johnny Cash to name a few that helped sing and play guitar!

I believe we have Gibson content the whole line through.

Whaw, , , did we X-ray that Nashville Sky 200 in a former thread. . .

albertjohn,

em7's review section is on the money.

if tangled up is another favourite ( likewise ) then blood on the tracks is the way forward no doubt . prepare yourself for the epic 'idiot wind' as angry as any punk song and if a woman has ever pissed you off then my god will it make sense. the album is a belter , and good place to start .

i you like the just dylan and a guitar folk singer stuff then 'freewheelin' is the best ,

for the sixties electric band sound 'highway 61'

'time out of mind' should be mentioned in the same breathe as any of his classics , a really fantastic album.

use itunes or youtube to get a flavour of each album , but with each one you get a little more drawn into bob world.

theres years of discovering little pearls of songs.

good luck

let us know what you think of 'blood on.....'

interesting that it's new to some people :-)

That is some serious analysis Em7, and some serious homework for me in the coming months !

One question - the last album mentioned was in 89', does that mean he hasnt realease anything decent in the last 30 odd years, that quite a drought ...even U2 released one decent song in the last 20 years..

Absolutely understand why a number of beginners wouldn't get Bob. Especially if they steer into some of his crappy or average stuff.

Certain live-things f.x. are unbearable bad and totally undermines the artists reputation.

Some veterans have trouble dealing with him too. I know a couple and though they respect the man, they just don't cope in flesh'n'blood. I think you have to be interested in poetry and how poetry handles existence to really catch the train.

A few years ago I decided to give 'my' keyboard-player an important Dylan album each time I saw him. It clicked up above 12 or something. Not sure he got smitten.

I would recommend to go for the real records to comprehend the context and how they worked in their respective times and mirrored Bob's own subjective journey. We can't afford to miss the corners as long as the albums are picked right. Allow me to try -

The Times Are a Changing – 1964. Uuuuuuoooohhh.

Bringing It All Back Home 1965. (Also called Subterranean Homesick Blues). Acoustic/electric half'n'half. The genius is loose.

Highway 61 Revisited – 1965. Watch it, , , it's even looser. Roll like a stone Mr. Jones, but don't get overrun by the title track, , , or Desolation Row !

Blonde on Blonde 1966. What may be the first double-album in rock history and a formidable tour de force. Oh lord, what a mountain – climb this plus the 2 '65-records and be changed forever. No matter year 2012 or your goddam so called age

Blood On The Tracks – 1975. Every song burns, , , or should we say bleeds. Strong stuff - did someone call it the divorce-album. . . .

After a 2-3 months with these I'd go further into -

John Wesley Harding – 1968. Very sparse, very strange even mysterious – acoustic guitars out of pitch and once again great great, but underplayed tunes.

Nashville Skyline – 1969. The controversy's over, now 'just' a tongue in cheek country-singer, , , but just as entertaining as corny. People seem to love the record. I still do.

New Morning – 1970. How for a different way to start the 70's. Bob gone a bit domestic, but continues to be the #1 house poet. Part of it written for a play or cabaret, which never levitated. The tunes did and give N.M. an intriguing otherly character. Three Angels for this release.

Planet Waves – 1974. With The Band, recorded over a short time. Subtitle : Moonglow - cast-iron songs and torch ballads – Feel the sparks all the way through. And stay Forever Young

Desire – 1976. Suddenly this monster carrying songs of protest, romantic longing, tale-telling and social awareness. The world embrased the whole thing as a hit.

Street Legal – 1978. Desperate barbed wire rock. "The hay was gettin' untied, , , and the wind was rising".

Slow Train Coming – 1979. First traces of his meeting w. the big chief – not too much yet. Many listeners felt betrayed. I just said aha and played the vinyl again, , , and again.

Oh Mercy – 1989. His meeting w. Daniel Lanois. Boy this one was welcome, , , and don't forget to check the outtakes. . .

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan – 1963. All acoustic – on the extrovert.

Another Side of Bob Dylan – 1964. All acoustic – on the introvert.

There you go for my 55 yen.

Take the path - it won't be regretted. . . .

That is some serious analysis Em7, and some serious homework for me in the coming months !

One question - the last album mentioned was in 89', does that mean he hasnt realease anything decent in the last 30 odd years, that quite a drought ...even U2 released one decent song in the last 20 years..

His last 4 albumn are up with his best in my opinion...I have most of all the good stuff..and boot legs.. How many artist had a number 1 album 50 odd years into their career.. just amazing

Maybe you have to "get him" first tho Euro

The recent out takes/ bootlegs triple CD Tell Tale Signs is just a master class in song writing and production... you need to be a fan though.

Seriously Euro..if you don;t get Bob..... I worry for ya [flapper] ( I know alot of ppl don't.. my eldest sis who is 50+ only recently..GOT him... good luck )

edit

Desire.... would be a great starting point for some I think...and all the 60's albums Em 7 mentions...and of course Blood on the Tracks..haha.. take your pick

I would seriously suggest downloading spotify for anyone that hasn't heard all his albums (or anyone else for that matter, Spotify is great) - it's got all his albums on.

I recently listened to them all in order over a few days a work [biggrin]

adelle's career was certainly helped along , if bob wasnt already a millionaire he wouldve been, by her cover of to make you feel my love. a song so lovely even xfactor contestants sounded good singing it.

certainly not in a drought

I cover Make You Feel My Love with a mate. Embarrassed to say I only knew Adele's cover!

Some great advice here. Thanks to all. Looking forward to the journey. Cheers chaps!

No no, would never say so – what I'm trying is to list is his mainwork, , , , or should we say the records that made him so important and, , , , unbelievable huge. To make the guide avoid wasteland and less groundbreaking efforts as it would be a shame to lose new listeners on their way in.

And EA let me pass another key : To really 'get' and enjoy B.D. one have to accept a couple things. Some of them would be chaos, loose ends, a certain dose of musical anarchy, of course unpredictible lyrical explosions and sometimes long songs built over the same verses, traditional folk style that is. There will be an acoustic guitar out of tune here and there as well - not many though.

It wouldn't be wrong to regard many of the songs as paintings, , , , here meaning paintings done with a very passionate and dynamic brush.

Expressionist paintings.

Then you'll se those colors come dripping -

A timeless vocal - 100 years of knowledge built in already as a 23 year old boy.

Oceans of intuitive as intellectual resource.

Insight.

Wit.

Great musicality and melody-making.

Splendid timing.

Fantasy.

Charm.

Merciless honesty.

Guts.

Sensibility.

Lot of nerve.

Raw power.

Lack of compromise.

Autonomy.

E

t

c

Dylan can play a song alone and it'll work.

But let us not forget that he was depending on an army of good people, musicians as producers as engineers to reach the high-points (not to mention the record company back-brains, who allowed him artistic freedom).

A flok that had to 'get' Bob before entering the studio.

They very often did.

I don't think Bob has ever had a drought ...like EVER

there is about 10-15 years starting in the early 80's where he felt pretty lost and washed up..in his own description,,see Chronicles Vol 1.. but you could still pull a few great songs from this period..and when Bob has a great song,,it is fckin Great

The last 10-15 years he has written and produced some absolutely outstanding stuff

High Water Rising ( a song for Charly Patton)

Working Mans Blues

Thunder On the Mountain

to name just a few off the top of my head... you could list 20 easy...and I mean epic , timeless songs... is he talking about the state of the world..the USA.. love..theft... the human condition..you bet.

You can read what you like into alot of his lyrics.. High Water Rising..a take on the Flood and catastrophe of New Orleans perhaps?

"Thunder on the mountain

Heavy as can be

Mean old Twister playing down on me

All the ladies in Washington where scrambling to get out of town.

Look like something bad's gonna happen

Better roll your airplane down

commentary on 9/11 ???..

They can stand for what you like... they just touch you on a profoundly moving level.

and lest not forget he won the Oscar for Things Have Changed a few years back... he is maybe the Greatest of all time... I think probably he is.

"I used to care..but things have changed"

you said it Bob

I never 'got' Dylan ... am I odd, or just too young ... ? [rolleyes]

His singing is kind of like a mantra ..... eventually you get to love it..

A lot of smart lyrics..he was not a dumb person..

I like the album "Infidels" which Mick Taylor decorated with his tastefull playing,its a musical album..but its not an album you would say this is what he was about.

The early ones where he is strumming away on that acoustic..is the main stuff. That early NY folk scene was a beautifull thing...Simon & Garfunkel man, I loved them the most.

Lately I put on a cd "Blood on the Tracks" which Id never realy listened to..I hated it....

At this point though after seeing him at that President's gala..its really time to retire..people see that, and will dismiss what he was.

"Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king" (Sweatheart Like You/Infidels)

Archived