Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Static Noises on 339 Ultra USB NOW WITH SAMPLE

BoSoxBiker

I apoligize for a double post. I added this to an earlier thread that probably didn't have anything to do with my problem, but I had to give it a shot. It was electrical in nature.

I get inconsistent, intermittent variable rates of static and/or some electrical distortion through the USB/Guitar Rig functionality of my ES-339 Ultra. It sounds like some sort of electrical interference is going on. It does have a pattern like quaity some times, but other times it does not. At times it gets really nasty loud and screechy.

Here are the basic, high level bits of information.

• Two different brands of computers - same issue
  • Both computers Win-7 64-bit
  • Both using ASIO4ALL as instructed. One is using a more recent driver.
  • I've tried multiple USB cables
  • different speakers and headphones.
  • variable positions including pickup selector and the push button switch
  • different houses in different states (not same electrical units or systems, in other words)
  • different Guitar Rig patches, amps, etc.
  • same issue present with amplitude.
  • Different batteries.
  • No other devices running that could encroach on the ASIO4ALL driver's love of beeing alone in the world.
  • It does seem like the more aggressive the patch is, the quicker it is to happen.
  • It sometimes gives me the sense that a switch has been turned on when this starts.
  • To make it go away, I either have to unplug the guitar or click on the device in the ADIO4ALL driver configuration window, as if to re-set it.

I've tried quite a few things including various rates and settings. I am at a total loss.

I called the support line and they told me to call some dude in South Carolina who was very nice, but said that he didn't know anything about these. The CS rep at Gibson then said that I should then bring it into the guitar store across the street from where I bought it for service. That doesn't seem like very good manners, to put it mildly.

• Two different brands of computers - same issue
  • Both computers Win-7 64-bit
  • Both using ASIO4ALL as instructed. One is using a more recent driver.
  • I've tried multiple USB cables
  • different speakers and headphones.
  • variable positions including pickup selector and the push button switch
  • different houses in different states (not same electrical units or systems, in other words)
  • different Guitar Rig patches, amps, etc.
  • same issue present with amplitude.
  • Different batteries.
  • No other devices running that could encroach on the ASIO4ALL driver's love of beeing alone in the world.
  • It does seem like the more aggressive the patch is, the quicker it is to happen.
  • It sometimes gives me the sense that a switch has been turned on when this starts.
  • To make it go away, I either have to unplug the guitar or click on the device in the ADIO4ALL driver configuration window, as if to re-set it.

So this is what guitar playing has come down too, and the direction Gibson wants to take the company. Guys and gals, I'm starting to feel REALLY, REALLY, REALLY OLD! I have no idea what anything written above even means. But this is the www, so that shouldn't stop me from a reply.

OK, your title say "static" noise. As many (most) people do here, you failed to fill in the portion of your profile that tells us where you are! Do people really think this is some kind of safeguard against internet psychos or something.

There are MANY environmental issues that affect musical instruments, due to temperature, humidity, etc. These issues, especially humidity (or lack there of) has a great affect on electric guitars, and specifically their plastic parts that are susceptible to static build up during cold and dry times.

If it wasn't for all the computer gibberish above, I'd say take an anti-static dryer sheet and rub it on your guitar. But, of course, the remedy must be in bits or bytes, or ASIO4ALL's or USB's or possibly encroachments. That would be my next guess, encroachments.

Last time I had encroachments I had to call in the exterminator. They're hell to get rid of.

The basic problem is that guitar output signals aren't compatible with computers and (ACK!) software like they are with analog recording equipment, IMO.

A decent battery-operated recorder with real tape will most likely isolate/indicate where the noises are originating. Plugging a cable into a computer jack is adding numerous unnecessary layers of complications, or possible compound issues.

An alternative would be an expensive pro recorder that stores the input information on a removable memory device that can be plugged into the computer, to possibly determine where in the computer the noises may be originating.. a definite maybe.

I fully agree that everyone should fill in the "location" area of the user info, especially when asking for sources of parts or other items.. otherwise, someone will always need to ask the poster's location, instead of offering a completely useful reply.

Without knowing a location, the only useful answers may be eBay or Google.

Bill

As many (most) people do here, you failed to fill in the portion of your profile that tells us where you are! Do people really think this is some kind of safeguard against internet psychos or something.

So this is what guitar playing has come down too, and the direction Gibson wants to take the company. Guys and gals, I'm starting to feel REALLY, REALLY, REALLY OLD! I have no idea what anything written above even means. But this is the www, so that shouldn't stop me from a reply.

I know what it means....but sometimes I do find myself thinking along your lines. Part of me wants to ditch most of my gear and just own a Telecaster, a Blues Jr, and a cable.

Still, the original poster bought his equipment based on the advertised specs, with the not unreasonable expectation that it would work! So, I hope he is able to resolve his problem, soon.

Still, the original poster bought his equipment based on the advertised specs, with the not unreasonable expectation that it would work! So, I hope he is able to resolve his problem, soon.

Thank you! [thumbup]

@Damian: I'm going to pretend you were not being snippy or trying to be some sort of forum bully. If you were genuine, I apoligize. I did use the search functionality as a first measure. I renewed efforts after you indicated that there has been some previous discussions. I did finally find one on a page 4 on one search. Using Static and then Noise along with Ultra, fwiw. I'm on "USB" and "Ultra" right now. Perhaps if you've remembered ever seeing a positive resolution and could remember any of the terms used, I would have a better chance of finding the thread I'm looking for.

Incidently, I also found an unresolved thread on some bleed happening on the tone knob. I have the same issue. It never bothered me. I had to do several things in order to hear it, and finding it was accidental. I now wonder if this in any way might be related?

EDIT: My bad. I meant "tone-knob", not "treble knob".

Ok, so just so yooze know I ain't going nuts. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11744323 The timeline of the recording is below followed by a few extra notes. Please forgive the playing as it was just some basic noodling and strumming.

0:03 audio starts. Noise right away.

0:09 An attempt to stop noise just by muting strings. works once in a while.

0:13 I unplug the guitar's USB cable. (nothign else hooked up)

0:24 after missing the connection twice, I hook it back up to no noise.

0:41 It sounds like it's about to happen again.

1:03 The nois ebegins to come back.

1:09 It's in full force now.

1:30 You can't even tell it's a guitar any more.

1:44 I unplug and plug much quicker this time. It's a guitar again.

2:01 I stop recording. It's worked fine for 15 seconds.

The machine that's recording the audio is not hooked up to the laptop that is generating the audio. I hooked up PC speakers to my laptop, mic'd it with a mic connected to Pro Tools and recorded it as a straight up analog signal. The guitar is only hooked up to the laptop, and is done so through the USB cable. It's guitar -> USB cable -> laptop -> Guitar Rig. fwiw, this series of noises happens even using headphones with no feedback or anything along that line getting to the guitar. Also, as noted above, not restricted to one computer or even ASIO4ALL driver version.

Yeah, unfortunately that narrows it down enough to be the reason I'm posting it here. One cannot rule out a crazy coincidence, but I think the writing is on the wall. Hopefully gibby/epi does something about it. I'm too old to start dis-liking epis. [biggrin]

At first I thought it was digital distortion. I've experienced this when I've recorded through my Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 with the levels too high. I learned the hard way that pushing the dials over the redline (so to speak)...

line6podux2tb.jpg

...doesn't make for a happy recording. Neither does setting the input volume too high in the Pod Farm software, and pushing the recording levels in Audacity past their limit. Basically, I learned that unlike overdriving an analogue device (such as a tube amp), overdriving a digital device just results in horrible, crackly noises.

Anyway, like I said, at first I thought that was what I was hearing on your track, and I was wondering whether the signal from your guitar via the USB output is simply way too high.

But then I listened to the part of your track around 1.19, and the crackling noise is rhythmic and cyclical. So, I think you are right, that it is some kind of interference.

Hope you can trace the source of the problem, and that Epiphone repairs/replaces your guitar if that is the cause.

After listening to the sound sample, it seems that the trouble *may* be on the guitar's internal USB circuit board (or associated wiring), but it's not entirely clear.

I don't recall you stating if the USB output had previously operated correctly.

If your guitar is still within it's warranty period Epiphone may fix the problem, or replace the guitar. A replacement guitar may have other issues , as you may be aware.. since the new Ultra models have been distributed with several serious problems.

Warranty periods are likely different in various countries.

I think it's unlikely that the circuit board is available to consumers as a replacement part, more likely that it's only available to authorized service centers, if at all.

I'm not sure what the period is for the guitar's internal USB adapter circuit board, as the electrical/electronic components' warranty is typically not very long.

Any owner internal components/wiring modifications will most like likely void any warranty for electronics issues.

I'd be reluctant to return the guitar for replacement based upon the many problems presented here and elsewhere online regarding the numerous problems with these new models. I would want some assurance that the same guitar would be returned to me after being repaired.

If the guitar plays well and the analog output signal is clean, ignoring the USB output capability may be an option, although not an easy choice, until a (better) solution is found/offered by Epiphone or other Ultra owners.

Troubleshooting the internal USB adapter wouldn't be particularly easy for anyone not already experienced/familiar with repairing this particular type of equipment.

Low grade components are commonly used in manufacturing consumer grade electronic devices.. when combined with fast production methods, RoHS compliant lead-free solder and practically non-existent quality control, overall reliability is fairly low.

If I were faced with this problem, I'd likely closely inspect all of the internal connections, starting with the guitar's USB jack, and then start making lots of notes while checking various individual components and voltage/resistance measurements (with a DMM, capacitor ESR meter and other instruments).

A close visual inspection on recent surface mount component boards requires very good lighting and a quality magnifier which will allow the user to clearly determine if each solder connection is secure.

Customer Support referring you to two outside contacts sounds like extremely poor support.. any required logistics should be handled by one of the authorized service centers.

Regards,

Bill

Ok, so just so yooze know I ain't going nuts. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11744323 The timeline of the recording is below followed by a few extra notes. Please forgive the playing as it was just some basic noodling and strumming.

0:03 audio starts. Noise right away.

0:09 An attempt to stop noise just by muting strings. works once in a while.

0:13 I unplug the guitar's USB cable. (nothign else hooked up)

0:24 after missing the connection twice, I hook it back up to no noise.

0:41 It sounds like it's about to happen again.

1:03 The nois ebegins to come back.

1:09 It's in full force now.

1:30 You can't even tell it's a guitar any more.

1:44 I unplug and plug much quicker this time. It's a guitar again.

2:01 I stop recording. It's worked fine for 15 seconds.

The machine that's recording the audio is not hooked up to the laptop that is generating the audio. I hooked up PC speakers to my laptop, mic'd it with a mic connected to Pro Tools and recorded it as a straight up analog signal. The guitar is only hooked up to the laptop, and is done so through the USB cable. It's guitar -> USB cable -> laptop -> Guitar Rig. fwiw, this series of noises happens even using headphones with no feedback or anything along that line getting to the guitar. Also, as noted above, not restricted to one computer or even ASIO4ALL driver version.

Thanks for the response.

I apoligize for not making that part clear. The outside people were "Authorized Service Centers", I think they're called. One had some sort of ranking that the gentleman on the phone seemed to be quite impressed with. Alas, and quite sadly, that fellow claims to have not received anything from Epiphone on this or any other model in years, schematics and other circuit board documentation included.

HNGD was very soon after this guitar hit the market. December, 2011. Many people stopped to gawk at it, and rightly so. It's sharp. [biggrin]

Foresaking the USB is certainly an option. I would still have the Piezo and onboard tuner options available. Still, I actually use the USB on road trips. I don't want to haul around an Eleven Rack and headphones for the times I can't bring an amp (noise factor), so this seems like an ideal solution, at least on the surface. I am starting to wonder if getting a little pocket-pod or the Korg entry wouldn't be a bad idea for travel/headphones use? As long as it's got USB connectivity and I can go in to Reaper, I'm fine. (I don't have Pro Tools on my laptop - just the tower)

If this is a good idea-bad implementation thing, then perhaps even getting a new one that functions is nothing more than getting a piece of functionality waiting for it to fail? I do have that fret buzz so many people complained about, but it's not that big a deal to me. Just a little bump up on the string height and I use the bigger and of the range when truss rod adjusting. No, the only real big issue is the USB functionality.

Now, how long has it been like this? I don't know. I only use it for road trips. I have an Eleven Rack right beside me for home use. I only tested breifly at home. The first real playing through USB was on a road trip in May.

BTW, this guitar really loves having .011s on it. I have two guitars with them on as a rule, but switched to .010s recently just because I needed to chang strings and didn't want to wait for a trip across town to get some more .011s.

This is #3 in what seems to make me seem like a jynx. I swear anything to do with the original transaction makes me look that way. I've since gotten a few other things totally over $2500 from my local GC and it's all fine. (knocks on wood) This started as a faulty Riviera P93 with a bad neck angle, which turned into a LP Ultra-3 which had non-working USB - period, and finally this one which has the affforementioned USB issues. I did pay difference in price once, but the store manager ate the cost difference the last time. A gesture not lost on me. See the $2,500+ since. I do feel most bad for the store manager there. He's bent over backwards trying to get things resolved and is jumping through the hoops yet again.

I really do like Epiphones. I have two. An '05 LP Custom and an '08 Plus Top. The '05 is my go to guitar. I had an SG, but I traded it for the '08. I'll end up with another LP before it's all said and done with. I do like the idea of one with P93s in it. [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

An update:

Someone finally listened, called it atypical and admitted that there is a problem specific to my guitar (my own words meaning a rare defect) and it will be picked up tomorrow via a FedEx home pickup service.

Sweet!

btw, just so everyone knows, my local Guitar Center Manager (Eli) is an absolute professional. Could not ask for anyone better to be able to work with or through on all of this.

Good for you! Glad somebody finally listened.

[biggrin]

And it's good to hear positive things about a GC manager. Nice to know there are some good employees that work there, because often we only hear negative comments. [biggrin]

Archived