Gibson Brands Forums

If you had to keep just one Gibby, which one would it be ?

EuroAussie

I guess this applies mainly to those who have multiple Gibbys in the stable, but if you applied the 'fire in the house test' or were stuck on a dessert island and could just run out with one ..... which one would it be ?

Made me think the other day, as now two months after the HB TV arrived the honey moon is still very much going, but Im starting to play other guitars also. The Bird' has a unique voicing in the stable and has blended very well with the rest.

But, if I applied the test I would have to take the Aaron Lewis SJ, for a number of reasons.

First, its mahogany which is my fave tone wood, secondly the SJ is by far the most versatile guitar in stable. While the Bird is the best strummer for vocal support, the nectar tone does not cut through so much on single note runs and is not super responsive for fingerstyle.

The SJ is a very, very good strummer, excellent fingerpicker and brilliant flat picker, for lead work it cant be beated.

It also has the most open tone, and is the most responsive guitar I own. Its basically an oustandign all rounder that cant be faulted and hence would get the nod. It really does it all, and I guess thats why it would come with if I was down to a single Gibby.

What about you, which Gibby passes the 'dessert island' test ..?

Back when I had more Gibs, I probably would have been so busy trying to decide I'd have burned to death running around in circles. Now, I'd grab the J45 with my right hand and the little L0 with my left. Fortunately, the dog will follow verbal commands and escape with me. I'm negotiating for an early 50's LG2, and if the fire happened after I bought and hung it on my rack, I'd be back to the first scenario. I'll begin training Vito to carry the D18 this afternoon.

J45 is the 1st out the door.

I'll go out on a guitar-forum limb here and say I don't believe in 'the one', there's always another one out there, so:

If forced to sell to raise cash, I'd plonk them all up for sale and keep the one that wasn't selling...

If caught in a fire, I'd let them burn get my insurance money etc and replace them with a J-50, a JB and maybe something else further down the line (2 honeymoons at one time is enough isn't it?)

I have 6 Gibsons. I would take the 2003 Hummingbird, if I couldn't reach it I wouuld grab the 2010 Hummingbird.

In reality though, I would grab my MIJ Strat, which is heads and shoulders above any guitar I own and is one of the least expensive.

Close 2nd PRS HB. (costs 6 times a smuch as the Strat.)

Mmmmm. Dessert. [biggrin]

I'd go with the J-45 too -- easy answer because it's my only Gibson, but I'd be leaving a Tele and a Tiny-made 00-size guitar in the flames. The Tele might survive the fire and collapsing house, now that I think of it...

This isn't fair! I have 6 guitars because.. well theres no good reason really except that each has eraned its place in its own way. Up until a month ago though I would have chosen the J45TV without hesitation. Today I would take the Sparrow. It can do everything well and right now I play it much more than my 45s. But like your story, EA, perhaps I am still in my honeymoon period.

I'm glad I don't have to get down to one. Different guitars work better for different tunes, for me anyway. If I really had to shed them all and hump one up the Himalayas it would probably be some form of L-00. It's the right size and shape for my physical requirements for extended playing and I like the sounds I can develop with them. On the other hand the maple CJ-165 I have is really a better guitar for jazz, if you want to play a flat top. It has a bright but also very thick tone in the upper registers and a little faster decay which is more like a jazz box. Not to mention the magnificent look of it, like a mini 200. So that one would be tough to relinquish.

Here's the 165 with a little July 4th number: http://gkarin.com/tunes/STE-003.mp3

I guess this applies mainly to those who have multiple Gibbys in the stable, but if you applied the 'fire in the house test' or were stuck on a dessert island and could just run out with one ..... which one would it be ?

What about you, which Gibby passes the 'dessert island' test ..?

A perennial favourite question!

I ask myself this one too.

The current answer would have to be either the '56 J-185, or the '04 J-200 Elite Custom.

(But I'd play them AFTER dessert...!) [biggrin]

Fred

I'm glad I don't have to get down to one. Different guitars work better for different tunes, for me anyway. If I really had to shed them all and hump one up the Himalayas it would probably be some form of L-00. It's the right size and shape for my physical requirements for extended playing and I like the sounds I can develop with them. On the other hand the maple CJ-165 I have is really a better guitar for jazz, if you want to play a flat top. It has a bright but also very thick tone in the upper registers and a little faster decay which is more like a jazz box. Not to mention the magnificent look of it, like a mini 200. So that one would be tough to relinquish.

So you're working on a definite maybe? [biggrin]

Hands down it has to be my '63 Country Western........She's been beat to Hell and back over her 49 years on this planet!!!! Has a lovely medium to slim neck profile (...but with the desirable 1 11/16 nut) and just has "Mucho Mojo" and heavenly tone that I have yet to hear on any Gibson....

IMG_0114.jpg

Hands down it has to be my '63 Country Western........She's been beat to Hell and back over her 49 years on this planet!!!! Has a lovely medium to slim neck profile (...but with the desirable 1 11/16 nut) and just has "Mucho Mojo" and heavenly tone that I have yet to hear on any Gibson....

IMG_0114.jpg

any chance of a sound clip to back those words up?

i'd like to hear that guitar , they have a lovely old fashioned look to them

and how do you keep that sofa clean??

any chance of a sound clip to back those words up?

i'd like to hear that guitar , they have a lovely old fashioned look to them

and how do you keep that sofa clean??

The wife is responsible for the sofa. I take no credit.....

I did a Sound clip of this guitar last year and posted it on the Forum.........It was a comparision test between a Modern Historic Collection J-45 and a slope '65 J-50. It's on here somewhere....you could try doing a search....

[biggrin]

Archived