Gibson Brands Forums

If you had to keep just one Gibby, which one would it be ?

The wife is responsible for the sofa. I take no credit.....

I did a Sound clip of this guitar last year and posted it on the Forum.........It was a comparision test between a Modern Historic Collection J-45 and a slope '65 J-50. It's on here somewhere....you could try doing a search....

[biggrin]

first of all , you're a bollox for making me find that , took ages , working with an iphone here ! :-)

secondly , you are right about it being a nice guitar ,i liked the j50 though there are variables .

thirdly , and this i found really interesting , was the texan ., have been looking at epiphones to use in a scuffy gig situation or a house party ,, it sounds really good !

obviously different from the gibsons but still , well worth a couple hundred quid !

thanks dood

first of all , you're a bollox for making me find that , took ages , working with an iphone here ! :-)

secondly , you are right about it being a nice guitar ,i liked the j50 though there are variables .

thirdly , and this i found really interesting , was the texan ., have been looking at epiphones to use in a scuffy gig situation or a house party ,, it sounds really good !

obviously different from the gibsons but still , well worth a couple hundred quid !

thanks dood

Hey BB,....Glad you found it. I just tried and had no luck. My content seems to only go back to Aug 2011????

The funny think about that comparison to me was that the Epihone was a real beauty and sounded like Old Wood despite being a 2005 model. One big mistake in your assumption though is that it was actually a cheap Korean/Chineese Epi. It was in fact the rare Montana USA made Epiphone "Non-Maca" and costed the same as a Custom shop Gibson new..... Sound wise it was without doubt the best sounding "New" Gibson made I have ever played. What's more it had the dreaded ADJUSTABLE SADDLE!!!!!

It had one major issue for my taste, an extremelly narrow nut at just over 40 mm - so it had to go....

[scared]

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Hey BB,....Glad you found it. I just tried and had no luck. My content seems to only go back to Aug 2011????

The funny think about that comparison to me was that the Epihone was a real beauty and sounded like Old Wood despite being a 2005 model. One big mistake in your assumption though is that it was actually a cheap Korean/Chineese Epi. It was in fact the rare Montana USA made Epiphone "Non-Maca" and costed the same as a Custom shop Gibson new..... Sound wise it was without doubt the best sounding "New" Gibson made I have ever played. What's more it had the dreaded ADJUSTABLE SADDLE!!!!!

It had one major issue for my taste, an extremelly narrow nut at just over 40 mm - so it had to go....

[scared]

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

no i didnt assume that ,

i was looking at the masterbuilt epi's , and one in particular was an inspired by texan model . a second hand model for around 180 quid . liked it because it was electrified .

might have to go lookin for it again

no i didnt assume that ,

i was looking at the masterbuilt epi's , and one in particular was an inspired by texan model . a second hand model for around 180 quid . liked it because it was electrified .

might have to go lookin for it again

Masterbuilts and the recent "Inspired by Texans" are completely different guitars....

"...and this i found really interesting , was the texan ., have been looking  at epiphones to use in a scuffy gig situation or a house party ,, it  sounds really good !
obviously different from the gibsons but still , well worth a couple hundred quid !"

Again,..sorry but you are comparing Apples and Oranges when you refer to the "Texan". The Inspired by is $ 360 and the Texan pictured above is over $ 5,000 + of quality Montana USA made guitar. It would be unfair to compare the two and to assume that a the Texan you saw used for £ 180 will sound anything like the Texan on the picture above and on the sound clip......

Saying all that the "Inspired by" Texan is a very good option for a cheap low end guitar...

:huh:

Only have three guitars, two of which are Gibsons. As much as I love the H'bird TV - I'd take the 2004 SJ200. But, in the 'house burning down' scenario, I agree with ParlourMan - I'd probably let them burn, get the insurance $ and instead grab something that has more emotional value, like photo albums that pre-date computer cameras. As far as the time worn 'desert island' question - my answer has always been and always will be - Mary Ann.

Masterbuilts and the recent "Inspired by Texans" are completely different guitars....

"...and this i found really interesting , was the texan ., have been looking  at epiphones to use in a scuffy gig situation or a house party ,, it  sounds really good !
obviously different from the gibsons but still , well worth a couple hundred quid !"

Again,..sorry but you are comparing Apples and Oranges when you refer to the "Texan". The Inspired by is $ 360 and the Texan pictured above is over $ 5,000 + of quality Montana USA made guitar. It would be unfair to compare the two and to assume that a the Texan you saw used for £ 180 will sound anything like the Texan on the picture above and on the sound clip......

Saying all that the "Inspired by" Texan is a very good option for a cheap low end guitar...

:huh:

ah! ok :-)

fair enough . thanks spot

The one Id grab in a fire of my guitars ..Ive always said it to my wife and to the guy who made the guitar..is only partly a Gibson.

It is kind of a high class Gibson 335/350 Semi Hollow with a single Florentine cut away, instead of pressed laminated wood.. it is in an old hand carved/arched back & top Curly Maple.

In it is a pair of Original Gibson PAF Pickups.. The guitar looks like a D'Angelico/Gibson ByrdLand in Natural but inside is like a Gibson 335.

Made by Carlo Greco who was once a foreman at Guild. Dispite the long scale neck the strings are as flexible as rubber bands .

I love that guitar.

I put the initial deposit on it..but when he finished making the guitar my brother & wife got together and paid the entire balance off (yeech!)

Carlo offered his only set of real PAF's pretty much as a gift..$185.

Special birthday I had in 1988-9.

How do you choose between a leccy and an acoustic? PM could cheat and take a Gretsch for the first then select his Gibson for the second. I'm stuck here. My Howard Roberts Fusion III is pretty rare in a European context, it was a very generous gift, and it reignited my playing. Couldn't leave it. It's my baby all the way in terms of bonding, so I would have to take it just on emotional grounds. But, given that it was given to me, I don't really think it's entirely mine to leave in the flames either. So there's an extra impetus to take the electric. And it's got enough air in it to enable plenty acoustic practice. But leave the Woody? You're kidding. It's Rentastic. It's not got the laminate parts! It sounds storming. It plugs in and so can do electric at a push. It's my go-to guitar because of the neighbours and kids. Darn it. I'll get my eldest to carry the acoustic as it's lighter, and persuade her to leave her Chinese classical or get her brother to carry it. I'll take the Howard. Mrs Mojo will take her mando. Sauve qui peut.