Gibson Brands Forums

What happened to this Gibson?

LarryUK

Guest farnsbarns

Interesting that there's a bag of wood chips on some scales and this was just before chambered LPs appeared. Could it be that gibby were looking at making the LP lighter but this design maybe didn't go down well with customers in testing. May be it was decided that chambering would be better received?

It does seem likely that the axcess started its inception with this.

Very interesting indeed!

Interesting that there's a bag of wood chips on some scales and this was just before chambered LPs appeared. Could it be that gibby were looking at making the LP lighter but this design maybe didn't go down well with customers in testing. May be it was decided that chambering would be better received?

It does seem likely that the axcess started its inception with this.

Very interesting indeed!

The bag of chips is the wood he took off the guitar. 1 lb.

This might have been the original idea for an Axxess but frankly the Axxess is a better design,

The starting point for an axxess is not a normal LP but rather it is designed,

The neck joint is awesome, shallower neck angle and thinner body with a belly cutaway, those guitars play really nice.

there is my belly fitting nicely in the cutaway. [biggrin]

IMG_0513.jpg

Do you mean like a Les Paul Double Cut? :P

LP_DC_Pro.jpg

SCN8859.jpg

I knew that was coming! msp_biggrin.gif The one with the P 90's is close because it has the similar neck access like the SG.

My thought was still single cutaway almost full thickness of Les Paul on the upper portion ( little thinner ) maple carved top and transition through compensating the thickness of the top and back as you move toward the bottom of the guitar and towards the Cutaway to a slightly thicker SG.

The trick would be maintaining the access that the SG has without having the cutaway and maintaing A les Paul look from the front. I haven't looked at my SG or LEs paul but I imagine it would end up looking goofy.....

Andy

I knew that was coming! msp_biggrin.gif The one with the P 90's is close because it has the similar neck access like the SG.

My thought was still single cutaway almost full thickness of Les Paul on the upper portion ( little thinner ) maple carved top and transition through compensating the thickness of the top and back as you move toward the bottom of the guitar and towards the Cutaway to a slightly thicker SG.

The trick would be maintaining the access that the SG has without having the cutaway and maintaing A les Paul look from the front. I haven't looked at my SG or LEs paul but I imagine it would end up looking goofy.....

Andy

hehe :)

I have one of the faded DCs (with the p90s)... I love it.. and your so right the upper fret access is just great.. Ive never actually tried a DC Standard but id love to if they ever make one again.

A Gibson version of this would do just fine :)

Splash-02.jpg

hehe :)

I have one of the faded DCs (with the p90s)... I love it.. and your so right the upper fret access is just great.. Ive never actually tried a DC Standard but id love to if they ever make one again.

A Gibson version of this would do just fine :)

Splash-02.jpg

This is close but lose the top cutaway and round it back from where it is like a les paul. Carved top and thin the thickness down as it goes down toward the cutaway....msp_thumbup.gif

More of the prototype based on the “Less” Paul developed by Bruce Kunkel in 2001, offering a new profile for the Les Paul body with a half cutaway on the base side and a shortened horn on the treble cutaway. The neck is blended into the body, eliminating the heel. No heel, less weight.

We will post the finished guitar later this week.

lesp.jpg

They've posted another. With more to follow.

From Gibson FaceBook page today.

"More of the prototype based on the “Less” Paul developed by Bruce Kunkel in 2001, offering a new profile for the Les Paul body with a half cutaway on the base side and a shortened horn on the treble cutaway. The neck is blended into the body, eliminating the heel. No heel, less weight."

339371_469410183071135_841413603_o.jpg

Archived