Gibson Brands Forums

Coated or non-coated?

Zeppelinguy

Hey Zep.....i've never used coated strings, not that I dislike them, just never tried a set.

for decades now i've used E.B. 9s and 10s on electrics, and D'Addario 12s or 13s on acoustics.

D'Addario flatwound 11s on my jazzbox, and i've fallen in lust w/ EB Cobalts recently.

seems i've tried everything BUT coated..... [unsure]

Coated! As I said yesterday in another topic, I started with Elixirs, then tried other brands. Now going back to Elixirs. There are strings that sound better, but not by as much as longer Elixirs last! Cheers... Bence

I have no clue, I did not know about coated or non coated so I googled it. I feel a shame a little bit tbh, I play for 30 years now and had no idea that existed. I go to Mikes music shop (near my house) and say "hey Mike give me some 12s and some 11s and a 13 for the dobro"...I have no clue if they are coated or not.

But Google gave me this:

Tonal Lifespan

The main advantage that coated strings have over uncoated strings is the tonal lifespan of the string. Over time (within a month for often-played guitars), an uncoated set of strings builds up a layer of dirt and grime that negatively affects the tone of the strings. The layer of coating on coated strings prevents this grime buildup for a significant period of time -- some manufacturers claim up to five times as long -- thus increasing the tonal lifespan of these strings.

Price

The major drawback of coated strings is their price. Coated strings often cost about two to three times as much as uncoated guitar strings. Despite the higher price, the increased tonal lifespan of these strings make them popular with a wide variety of guitarists. In many cases, guitarists actually save money over the long term by buying coated guitar strings. Luckily for the coated-string enthusiast, the price of coated strings has been coming down over the last decade or so.

Feel

Most coated strings feel slightly different to the touch than uncoated strings. Some brands almost feel like nylon strings when they are first put on a guitar. Some feel almost slippery. Despite these differences in feel, coated strings respond exactly like uncoated strings. They can be bent and otherwise manipulated in the same manner and with the same ease as uncoated strings of similar gauge. After a few sessions playing a guitar with coated strings, you likely won't even notice a difference.

Brand Name Coated Strings

Many different guitar string manufacturers offer coated strings. Elixir is perhaps the most famous coated string brand name. Their signature nanoweb coating helped to bring about the popularity of coated guitar strings. Other major manufacturers, such as Ernie Ball, Fender, Cleartone, GHS and D'addario, all offer coated guitar strings in addition to their non-coated strings. The majority of these companies offer coated strings for both electric and acoustic guitars.

greetz,

Elmer

I have to change strings every time I play the acoustic because I mash through the windings after a couple hours of playing. So coated strings don't do me any good. They're like three times as expensive, and they don't last any longer when you grind through the windings like I do.

Been using coated (Elixir brand) on the acoustics for probably 10 years. Much prefer them. However, I have never tried them on my electrics. The strings on my electrics don't seem to go dead as fast.

I've been on a long journey to find the perfect strings.

I played Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys for years. They don't last as long as I'd like them to, and they tended to break a lot! Then I switched to D'Addarios for a while, but I don't care for their bright tone. At the beginning of this year, I started using Dunlop strings and they are perfect! Love em'!

I've had brushes with GHS, Gibson, and Fender strings and I don't care for em'.

I'd like to try Dean Markley, Rotosound, DR, and Cleartone. I've only tried Elixer acoustic strings, but they sound a little dull in comparison to normal strings.

I like Cleartones for my Gibson MM but for all other guitars i put Dunlop strings.

I love Dunlop strings but they work best for Humbuckers and P-90's while i like Cleartones on single coils.

I use D'Addario or Gibson Vintage Reissue 11's on electric, and D'Addario 12's on acoustics. I've tried the Elixers a few times and couldn't get used to them. They do last a long time though.

I use Elixir 9-42 poly on almost all my electrics. The exception is the old S100c Guild that's like an SG - and it's worn 8-38 since it was new in the '70s and Elixir doesn't make anything that light, although I'm considering buying single strings and starting to build my own Elixirs for the Guild and to run what Elixir doesn't make, some 9-42 acoustic strings.

Until then, I'm running 9-42 DR Zebra AE strings on my little AE and Elixir 10s on the big AEs - and Ernies on the Guild.

Bob, I dunno about the other companies, but basically the Elixirs are Goretex. I don't imagine that causing me more problems than boots or jackets with the product.

The thing I noticed about the Elixirs, given that I'm a fingerpicker, is that they respond quite well to major changes in tone simply by where I play. Jazz guitar or old-style magnetic AE sound both come from the 175 with no other change but how close to the bridge I might be. Others, coated or uncoated, might do the job, but I'm happy with what I've got.

m

Been using Elixir 12's on my '93 Seagull SM6 since I got it. Love the feel, every other string I've tried squeaked way too much, and didn't sound any better. Plus my sweat eats strings.

As for electrics, I started out with E.B's, coated and uncoated, but they always felt too "Slinky" (normally used 10's). Then I used D'Addario a few times. Broke the High E on every set I bought. Then I got into the Eric Johnson Signature GHS Nickel Rockers, which were great (10's). But my sweat ate through those, so Elixirs it is now. I also used PRS 11's with a Wound G on my '64 Melody Maker before I change the bridge out for a Tonepros AVT-2 adjustable wraparound. Now it's got Elixirs (varies between 9's and 11's with my mood; currently 9's) and they're staying on. Best tone i've gotten from my guitars, and a slick feel to die for.

Coated strings on an acoustic sound weird to my ear's, dull & sorta flat in tone/pitch. It's more apparent on a guitar with hi quality cut's of wood. I always have used D'Addario medium or heavy strings on an electric and just never felt like/need changing. I can nurse a set of Martin 80/20 regular bronze un-coated string's for close to 2 month's and I put a good 10-15 hours a week on them. Never got that kind of life from any other set and I tried them all on my latest Epiphone Texan.

also remember that uncoated strings (when used w/locking tuners or left long when trimmed) can be boiled for 5 minutes to remove the "buildup" and bring back the "new string" sound.

i've never actually done this, boiling water and I don't mix well....but, it CAN be done!

oh, remove them from the guitar before boiling [scared]

also remember that uncoated strings (when used w/locking tuners or left long when trimmed) can be boiled for 5 minutes to remove the "buildup" and bring back the "new string" sound.

i've never actually done this, boiling water and I don't mix well....but, it CAN be done!

oh, remove them from the guitar before boiling [scared]

Yea, Boiling brings em back, but I think just temporarily.

Acoustics - coated, elixr nano webs are my favorite, I tried the D'Adarrio, EXP Coated and don't like the feel one bit.

Ploywebs are "ok" but the coating will shred quicker than the nano coated strings. hear good things about Cleartones, may try them next re-order.

Electrics, non-coatd (D'Addrio XLs). I have pretty dry hands, so strings last reasonable well for me. But gotta wipe em down now and then.

I have never tried the coated ones on my electric, but I prefer the non-coated on my acoustic, which is what I play the most of.

Most of my acoustic playing is fingerpicking, and I like the sound to really sparkle. As some have similarly observed, I feel the coated strings dulls the brightness of the sound on my Taylor; even more so on my Alvarez-Yairi.

Good topic.

...I tried the D'Adarrio EXP Coated and don't like the feel one bit... Electrics, non-coatd (D'Addrio XLs)...

I like the EXP much better than the Elixirs, they sound brighter to me. I use 10s on all my solid bodies and my Carvin semi-hollow. I use D'Addario XL 11s with a wound third on other hollow and semi-hollows. I prefer uncoated but like the life of the coated.

Archived