Gibson Brands Forums

Trad Pros

thejay

I like both of the pickups in these guitars and I recently found an interest in them... any feedback vs a Traditional? I also saw they have a Trad Pro in Pelham Blue; though I have not seen a pic, I would interested to see that!

I've had a Traditional Plus (Desert Burst) for 3 years. I love the 57 & 57+ pups but it took a little time to adjust to the 50's neck as I had been playing mainly Strats before getting the Trad. Oddly enough I had never played a Gibson LP with a 60's neck until last week when I tried the Trad Pro. Now I have serious gas for the Trad Pro. That said, I doubt I will ever part with my Trad. Both are sweet guitars. If you are thinking about the Trad, try it out first. I have medium sized hands and the neck still feels pretty thick to me.

A few other differences would be the vol/tone knobs. Top hat on the trad pro and speed knobs on the trad. I think the back of the trad pro is satin finish and much smoother IMO. No coil splitting or locking tuners on the trad. Overall, the trad feels more solid and heavier than the trad pro.

The Trad is weight relieved (swiss cheese). The Trad Pro is solid. Not sure how the Trad would be heavier. My Trad Pro weighs in at 9 lbs. 4.5 oz. Which is a middle weight for the Trad Pro. But they go from 8 to 11 lbs. But if you prefer the 50's neck, you could get the the GC Trad Pro 50's. It only comes in Honeyburst color though, but that was the color I wanted anyway. I find that I don't really use the coil splitting as much as I thought I would. It is more Tele sounding than Strat sounding. I like it, just don't use it. I've had thoughts of converting to 50's dependent wiring, with PIO caps, but it could be a while before I do that. I just converted my Epi Les Paul Custom to 50's wiring and love it. It gets played almost as much as my Gibby.

I haven't played a Trad in a while. I really like the '57 classic that's in the neck of the Trad Pro. The BB3 is a little thin at lower volumes. But it more of a classic rock and blues pickup, IMHO. It does what its supposed to do, and metal is not what it's made. Good thing I got to for the previous. It really does nail the Gary Moore sound, which is what I was after. I would really like to try a '57 classic+ in the bridge of my guitar someday.

Thanks for pointing out that you can get the Trad Pro with the 50's neck. I forgot about that.

According to Gibson's website both the Trad and Trad Pro receive the swiss cheese treatment (9 holes). I usually play standing at home and I was sitting with the Trad Pro at GC. That may be why Trad Pro felt lighter to me. It's been a few days since I played the Trad Pro but I'm still gassing for it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have both.

According to Gibson's website both the Trad and Trad Pro receive the swiss cheese treatment (9 holes). I usually play standing at home and I was sitting with the Trad Pro at GC. That may be why Trad Pro felt lighter to me. It's been a few days since I played the Trad Pro but I'm still gassing for it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have both.

I thought the Trad Pro solid, but I see that your right. I've never seen that before. I know for a fact that I read about the Trad Pro being solid. Say's in the description of the Trad Pro 50's that it is subtly chambered. What the hell does that mean?! Chambered or Weight-relieved? It doesn't matter to me because I love my Trad Pro 50's, but it seems I missed something somewhere.

Archived