Gibson Brands Forums

An old beater

Motherofpearl

I picked up an old beater couple days ago it's called a Gilbert

The saddle is right down as low as it can go and the truss rod Alan key part is stripped. The neck is bowed up so I need to straighten it out. Instead of making firewood out of it what can I do?

The saddle is right down as low as it can go and the truss rod Alan key part is stripped. The neck is bowed up so I need to straighten it out. Instead of making firewood out of it what can I do?

Can we see Gilbert? Is he a Gibson?

[smile]

Hi, if this guitar is still valuable and playable you could repair the truss rod Alan key part if it's possible or maybe try the heat press they use to straighten classical guitar necks.

Good luck.msp_thumbup.gif

You might want to do some checking because there are Gilberts and there are Gilberts. If you have the "right" Gilbert some of these things can run $10K to $15K. Not saying yours is one of those but it might be worth a bit of snooping.

Assuming though you do not have one of those Gilberts, if you don't want to pull the neck the easiest route is to shave the bridge itself. I just did that with a $5.00 1930s Regal. While it ain't perfect, it is at least now playbale.

I just heard back from a friend about Gilbert Guitars. He told me I was thinking of guitars made by John Gilbert and his son William. They are worth a small fortune but as far as he knows they only built nylon string instruments.

Archived