Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 2008 Gibson Songwriter

brixa

See pic of new arrival yesterday (the delivery guy had a good laugh at my excitement on arrival). 2008 Songwriter with very low mileage. Someone had listed on ebay so I asked if he'd like to swap for my 2004 Martin D28. Uncanny in that he's getting what he wants and I got what I wanted - all based on trust and the agreement that we would return if one or the other didn't like it. There are some decent folks out there and I've always believed in the fact that if you don't ask you won't get. This gives me a nice rosewood equiv to my J45. Plays like butter.

Congrats, Ive had a love n hate relationshp with my Songwriter, but thats mainly because ive struggled to find the right strings for it. But im back in love after trying some EXP 80/20's which are right on the money.

Just be careful with you agreement .... would not be surprised if the other guy will want to get the Songwriter back after getting bored with the D-28 soon ... ;-)

Enjoy !

Gibson did a superb job with the SW.

Your's looks well taken care of. I'm sure you'll get plenty of enjoyment out of her.

Congrats. . B)

It's my understanding that the Songwriter is the only Gibson that Ren actually designed himself. Is that correct?

Just spoken to the guy who got the D28 and he is over the moon with it. He only got his this afternoon so I was being a bit presumptious with the earlier post - but was confident all would be well ;-).

We've actually become friendly in the past week. Lots of pics, texts, emails and a pic at the end of him with the D28 and me with SW! Yes - it looks like this was mean't to be and it's great that something like this can be done on trust. I took a risk. Loved the D28 but made the mistake of trying SW in the local dealer and was hooked so chanced my arm on ebay etc.

I put my fave EXP 12 gauges on and I can't believe how low the action is. It needs playing in but seems to give me a mix of the D28 with Gibson tone thrown in. It's a 2008 model like new - no fretware at all. I get to nurture it. I can't stop playing it - the neck and action are addictive. I reckon the clarity on the mids is much better than the D28. It's quite weird because my J45 is the best guitar I've ever played. The songwriter feels like playing my J45 but with a sorta D28 sound coming out.

The only downside is I'm getting a slight buzz on the D and G when you hammer those strings open. The wound E was the same yesterday but it's cleared up. No buzzes on anything fretted and the capo works great everywhere. Hope it might be the EXP's breaking in or I may need a slight truss adjustment. This girl needs played. A crime to have such a nice instrument in it's case for the best part of 4 years. Will probably get it checked over and get a set-up done sometime down the line.

Cheers for all the comments. Very pleased. I'll take any advice etc

Cheers for all the comments. Very pleased. I'll take any advice etc

Great that you are enjoying the Songwriter, its got one heluva punchy tone. And you're right, it takes the power of the D-28 and introduces the midrange punch of Gibson, great combo.

The only advice I will give you is that I found this guitar can get pretty muddy when the strings start to fade. I love PB's but found once they lost sparkle the pool of mud started to come in and the those rosewood dynamics and power sort of eveaporate signficantly.

So, if you are finding this down the line (you might not) try a set of 80/20 strings as I found they maintain the note seperation and balance and stop the SWD going down the muddy path ..

Archived