Gibson Brands Forums

Am I ripping some song off with this progression .. ?

EuroAussie

I had this little funky, summery progression in my head which I wanted to have a crack at trying an original track with my singer ... but I have this voice in the back of my head that it sounds vaguely familiar, and Im wondering if Im just re-hashing something subconsciously .... (not that there's anthing wrong with that of course )

Does it sound familiar to you, and if yes .... who ??

Here is short sample of couple rounds of verse, pre-chourus and chorus.... havent worked out the bridge yet but will probably throw in some flattened, darkened chords to mix it up a bit ..

cheers

EA

http://soundcloud.com/euroaussie/summer-thingie-song-wip

Righto .... actually it was teh J-150, works well for this funky, 16th note stuff ..

Nice to see you back on the forum AJ btw !

No bells ringing in my head EA.

Great ditty. Get some words together and you've got a nice song.

Which guitar were you using?

The answer is probably

There are only so many chords and progression, someone's bound to have used it in the past

Be nice to hear the melody then it would be obvious or not

Perhaps also try using a click or drum track as well as there is a fair amount of drift - sorry, only trying to help improve.

I might open it up both to the Mrs and the Singer (his is actually called Ray) - think thats a good idea.

I had a go at it just mumbling a vocal melody and I keep been stuck on a J Mascis Dinosaur Jr vocal style, sort of third lower than the root note, kind a weird, but sort of interesting in a bizarre way.

But I think ill hand it over to the pros ...

Thanks for the advice and feedback folks, as always.

EA

I think pretty much everything is going to be somewhat derivative of something else. In the words of Elvis Costello - we are all vultures. I do not even try to write "original" stuff any longer. I just stick to working out arrangements.

Hey, at the worst can always plead the George Harrison defense that it was a subconscious thing.

Sounds good to me. Can't think of a particular song, but it does kind of remind me of the sound/style of America. Also, there are only so many chord progressions. I doubt there are any that have not been used at one time or another. The Rock & Roll progression was used in song after song in the 50's & 60's. Same progressions, just a varied melody or key or strum or fingerpicking pattern...This reminds me of something Kris Kristofferson has spoken-of many times: going to the giant guitar jams at Johnny Cash's home. Kris said everyone there was looking for lines and melodies to use in their own song. He said he's hear a line he loved, so he'd casually stroll to the kitchen to be alone for a minute to write down the line he just heard, and there in the kitchen was Bob Dylan and Peter Yarrow doing the same thing. There ain't nothing new. We're all influenced by others. Sometimes we realize it, sometimes we don't..Good topic.

Sounds good here. All it needs is the lyrics and melody. When I write, if I don't have the lyrics, the music, and the melody all come crashing down together, it doesn't happen. If I can ever figure out how to record some of this stuff, I have a dearth of first versus and chorus lines, none of which fit together, and a shoe box full of lyrics that I'd proudly allow anyone to steal, otherwise these songs in my head stay locked up forever, and that just ain't right. I like the bounce in your guitar on this one - and nothing springs to mind that I've heard this before. I look forward to the finished work, and to hear more about your process.

Sounds like a nice tune and I don't recognize it EA. [thumbup]

I agree with Madman & MP on there's only so many songs available (since the dawn of music time). If he was still here you could just ask George Harrison. I still don't think that My Sweet Lord & He's so fine were the same song enough to copy right infringe IMHO.

Just look at the movies. I think they haven't had an original script that wasn't a rework or an out in out reMAKE in 15 yrs or more. Unless it was some boneheaded stunt show that they make a lot of these days.

Aster

Cheers guys, seems like a good start from all the feedback, certainly provides encouragement to keep on exlporing.

Although unless you have a gem of a riff, its the melody that really makes the song. The harmony and progression can set it up but the melody is what sticks and makes and impression I believe. Of course the real magic happens when you have a strong harmony and melody together.

In other words .....over to the singer to make some magic !

I listened this morning. Does not bring any song to mind but sounds a little familiar first two chords and then it goes away. I think lots of times a couple of chords are going to take your mind to a chord progression you have heard before, then when it goes another direction you are surprised and that is how I was listening to your tune.

Interesting you see that. I was sort of conscious about keeping familiarity but then adding 7th's and 9th's to the verse progression with a few hammerons thrown in to put some identity into it. Then taking a left turn when its sort of not expected but still keeping within the groove of the track. Ive extended this progression now and tomorrow will send the open file to my singer so he can work on a vocal melody ... lets see where it ends up. Would be nice to perform at least one orginal track at our gigs.

Thanks for listening and commenting, its much appreciated !

EA

I listened this morning. Does not bring any song to mind but sounds a little familiar first two chords and then it goes away. I think lots of times a couple of chords are going to take your mind to a chord progression you have heard before, then when it goes another direction you are surprised and that is how I was listening to your tune.

Archived