Gibson Brands Forums

Stolen Guitars

JuanCarlosVejar

Friends ,

reading this story made me angry ... why are people so sick and twisted ...

http://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-musician-sees-outpouring-of-support-after-thieves-steal-instruments/article_deb1ee0e-c3f8-11e1-b17e-001a4bcf887a.html

it makes me sad to know that a man can be robbed of his working tools !!!!!!!!!

JC

Friends ,

reading this story made me angry ... why are people so sick and twisted ...

http://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-musician-sees-outpouring-of-support-after-thieves-steal-instruments/article_deb1ee0e-c3f8-11e1-b17e-001a4bcf887a.html

it makes me sad to know that a man can be robbed of his working tools !!!!!!!!!

JC

Yeah it is a sad state the world is in... Happens over here too.. Apparently theres been a rise in this and they think that theres a bunch of theifs who follow bands back from the gigs to their hotels and then break in to the bands vans... Happened to New Model Army recently too

http://www.themidlandsrocks.com/new-model-armys-tour-equipment-stolen-near-wolverhampton/

That's terrible.

There's a post in the LP Forum about thieves staking out venues, they follow a band's van to a local hotel and then break into the van while the band is sleeping - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/88953-warning-to-any-touring-musicians-working-in-the-midlandsnorth-england/

I think it's the same one Rabs mentioned.

You can't be too careful.

>They must have recognized the name ‘Fender’ and didn’t know what the Taylor was, so they left it behind.<

Something similar happened to me once. Back in the 70s I shared a house with several other guitarists, and all our instruments were conveniently kept in the living room on the first floor. When some local punks broke in, they took all the electric instruments, which, except for a Hofner Beatle bass, were all cheap department store type instruments. As far as we were concerned, we didn't care about them. Left behind were about 8-10 acoustic instruments, any one of which was worth more than all the stuff they stole. We figured they thought the electrics had to be worth more.

Brad

those robbers really did understand the resell value of a guitar.

Dlutter

Hey,

I was having a look at second hand guitars and came across this ad posted yesterday.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-hummingbird-heritage-cherry/105384973

I'm thinking either the guitar's stolen or I will get robbed?

Seems cheap.

My mom used to clean & close the laundromat across the street from our apartment..we used to store my brothers drums & my amp in there cause we would rehearse after it closed..about 1978

One evening a guy walks in there and offers to sell me a brand new (CBS) with tags Fender Jazz Bass for $40..I said no thanks. Im not interested in buying stolen sh#t.

Another time this guy came into our deli with a Vintage 1966 Sunburst Stratocaster..he worked on 48th Street & I knew it was stolen though he didn't say...I said no thanks

Hope it never happens to anyone & I hope nobody buys stolen anything.

Hope it never happens to anyone & I hope nobody buys stolen anything.

Yeah, just have to agree with that.

Thing is these guy's have places to sell them, these pawn shops that have sprung up in every UK high street are dodgy as.

Thing is these guy's have places to sell them, these pawn shops that have sprung up in every UK high street are dodgy as.

"....In the event someone stumbles upon a Gibson J45, the one belonging to Catmull has the serial number 03368007.

The Fender has the serial code CC110204388 and the Gretch's serial number is cyg05050002..."

Here's Tom's J-45 in action....

lol..so let me get this straight:

They took the J-45, but left the Taylor. They took the Gretsch, but left the Taylor. Then, when it came to cheap Fender vs the Taylor, they STILL left the Taylor?

They took the J-45, but left the Taylor. They took the Gretsch, but left the Taylor. Then, when it came to cheap Fender vs the Taylor, they STILL left the Taylor?

Heheeeeeeee,..you make a very good point Stein. It's horrible to say but this burglar has good taste in guitars!!

[scared]

That made me giggle [flapper]

Not much worse than a thief. Of any kind to me. Outright stealing or stealing services that others in real need should have.

I do like one thing in those Punjab countries. Off with the hand if you steal anything!! Seems to work well there. I've been the victim of a couple of home robberies and it's really the pits. It's the things with meaning, not always value, that I hated losing the most.

Aster

I remember approaching the back door of the laudromat and swallowing oh on!

Someone had broken in . On the left there was a bathroom with a padlock..they had broken in and took the speakers of a Shure PA that was in there ..the head I had loaned to someone who purposefully disappeared with it...(maybe same dude).

I could not believe it when on my right, I slid the unsecured door of the closet open and there was my brothers drum set & my Marshall Plexi Head & 4X12 Cabinet.

Thanks to God..really.

I didnt have many things back then but my whole family went to Greece & Germany together to visit relatives for 2 months & I stayed behind to work the laudromat for the summer,economizing every dollar specifically to buy the Amp from a friend.

At a pawn shop a few blocks away (Jamica,Queens NY) my brother who is a lefty & big fan of Black Sabbath, walked in to find Tony Iommi's BC Rich on the wall whch he used in the Licks instructional video.

He wrote to Tony iommi' offering it back & Mr.Iommi wrote to say it had been stolen a while back but that he could keep it.

Stealing really hurts people.

Archived