Gibson Brands Forums

Cherry, Natural Burst, Black, Or Maybe White?

mac75

Guys, just bought this SG in the Natural(Brown)Burst finish. I had another one in the cherry finish which I recently sold. I also bought a 2012 model in Black, but haven't recieved it yet. I'm kind of torn between the Cherry and the Burst as both look great in their own right. I will have to evalute the Black when I get it. I kind of like seeing the woodgrain through the finish, though, and I know you can't see it with the Black. Just curious as to what color you prefer for an SG. This one plays awesome, as they all seem to. The ultimate would be one of each, of course! IMG_3923.jpgIMG_3920.jpgIMG_3931.jpgIMG_3932.jpg

They do both look fantastic. I'd lean towards cherry, and here's why (only from my personal experience). When I bought my ES-335. I was torn between a trans brown finish and a vintage burst. I was enamored with the brown with gold hardware, so I got it despite the fact that when I think of ES-335, I think burst or red or black. One year later, I like my trans brown but every time a see someone's vintage burst I reflect back on the fact that I could have had one.

So, when I think SG, I think of black or cherry. I'd prefer cherry though because of the wood grain you mentioned above. But then again, I am a conformist. But if you like to be different, keep the natural. It is damn sexy too!

They all look awesome to me [biggrin]

But like most people, I like to see the wood grain.

I'm actually planning to get an SG Standard in either Heritage Cherry or Aged Cherry. Maybe natural burst. But ultimately, I'm just concerned about the way it plays.

So I have to ask, which one of yours plays best?

And do any of them have any fret buzz? I hate fret buzz!!! [cursing]

I really wanted a natural burst. Ended up with a vintage burst instead. Love it. Only rason I wanted the natural burst more was because they painted the whole back of the vintage burst model black, and I don't care for that, but it's a good enough guitar that I got over it. That natural burst does look tasty though.

They all look awesome to me [biggrin]

But like most people, I like to see the wood grain.

I'm actually planning to get an SG Standard in either Heritage Cherry or Aged Cherry. Maybe natural burst. But ultimately, I'm just concerned about the way it plays.

So I have to ask, which one of yours plays best?

And do any of them have any fret buzz? I hate fret buzz!!! [cursing]

They all played great, none had fret buzz. I sold all but the Black now.

I really like the Heritage Cherry of the '61 Reissue.

I like it even more now since I used Virtuoso Polish on it yesterday.

The black pickguard is not smudged, that is a reflection of the carpet on it.

4.jpg

I just picked up a new SG with coil splitting humbuckers in Vintage Cherry, which seems a bit darker than the standard Cherry. I actually like the darker version of the Cherry, but for an SG, it's gotta be Cherry (although I like the three pickup version in both white and black :P )

Pic later :)

I really like the Heritage Cherry of the '61 Reissue.

I like it even more now since I used Virtuoso Polish on it yesterday.

The black pickguard is not smudged, that is a reflection of the carpet on it.

4.jpg

[/qute]

I will use the Virtuoso on all Gibson Nitro finishes from now on. It is excellent stuff. Is the other guitar a PRS Santana? How do you like it compared to the SG?

Yes, picked up the Santana a few weeks back.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/89234-ngd/page__p__1224433__fromsearch__1#entry1224433

I like it a lot, and it is about 1/3 the price of my SG.

Price was $724 for it, but I paid a little more as I had the shop install the Planet Wave Autotrim tuners, and put on a set of EB Cobalts.

It plays very nice, but I find myself using the bridge pickup mainly when running it amped.

A few others over on the PRS forum I am on favor the bridge pickup too.

The guitars finish was flawless, and my dealer set it all up for me, but I hear they leave the US factory after arriving from South Korea where the SE line is produced setup too.

I enjoy playing the SG more, but I also like to play the Santana.

Very nice guitar for the $$$, and I am thinking about getting the 24 fret custom when it arrives soon.

http://www.prsguitars.com/secustom24/

It is even a few bucks cheaper than the Santana.

Archived