Gibson Brands Forums

ZT3 Trans Trem Issue

skup

Hello all, new to this board but been playing Steinbergers for many years. So I bought a ZT3 from Amazon.com back in January. When I got it unboxed and tuned it played well. Not great, there were a couple buzzing frets, but I figured I'd let the guitar "settle in" and see how it does once the Trans Trem is set up and I've had a chance to play it a while. It was certainly playable, and I loved the feel and sound of it. I'm just a hobbyist, so the guitar doesn't leave the house, it's well cared for, etc. I performed a couple string changes without incident. Then 2 weeks ago I go to replace the strings and the low E and A don't seem to be long enough (using Steinberger double ball calibrated .009's). After reading online about locking the trans term in the lowest setting making it easier to restring, I was able to get the guitar restrung. So once I tune up and begin playing it's immediately obvious something is very wrong. I double check my open string tunings and they're all there. Open chords sound ok. Once I get up to the 7th fret or so the E and A strings are way out of tune. It's like it lost it's intonation. It wasn't even close to being in tune. I brought it in to a local shop who said they worked on these guitars but after checking it and tuning it promptly called me back saying something is "not right with this guitar and I'm not overly familiar with Trans Trem's, I've set up several for customers but yours seems to have something wrong with it." He didn't charge me as he didn't do anything to the guitar. I should also mention that there's some terrible fret buzz around the 4-8th frets. I honestly don't understand how restringing a guitar could have caused this. Like I said, I've been playing Steinbergers for years and I've never seen something like this. I emailed Gibson customer service but have yet to hear back. Do you guys have any thoughts on how I proceed here? The guitar isn't even 6 months old, I'm the only one who plays it, and not in a band setting, strictly home studio.

I'd appreciate any input or advice here.

Thanks,

Brian

PS-I live in Chicago and looking on Gibson's site, there isn't an authorized Steinberger repair center in the area.

• 4 weeks later...

The repair tech should have at least been able to tell you if there was a defect in the neck (fretting out btwn frets 4-8). There could be a deformation in the fingerboard or fret "rise" in that spot. To the intonation issue, if the proper scale length has been established for each string using the angled intonation screws on each roller saddle, I don't see how the TransTrem can be blamed for some mysterious "one for the books" intonation problem. It shouldn't be a fret placement issue because that manufacturing process is standardized for every guitar and ALL strings would be off-pitch in that same touble spot.

Did the repair guy say why 4-8 was fretting-out? I imagine you would've heard back by now but, if not, I would call Gibson (1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)). I had a problem with some damaged screws on my new ZT3 and this guy Roger Ball at Gibson took care of it pretty quick. If you bought it new, and can get a good repair guy to confirm the neck is bad, use the warranty to get them to replace the neck or maybe the whole guitar. This guitar isn't cheap and you'll regret later not getting them to make this right when you're stuck with a guitar you're not happy with.

Archived