Gibson Brands Forums

Gimme some neck!

sheraton

Tomato-Tomato to me. The 50s is fat. The 60s is slim. No big deal either way. You just gotta play both and see if you like one more than the other. Some people have a strong preference. I have pretty small hands and can move back and forth between the two with no problem (I have a couple of each type) but I'm not a real precise, technical type player, so it may matter more if you are.

I never much noticed the thickness of the neck, but rather the width of the neck and fingerboard. I enjoy the width of the nut of my SG Standard which I believe is 1-11/16”, and I have noticed on other guitars with a wider nut I don't like the feel of it.

My SG Standard is a 2011 model, so the neck is based on mid-’60s SGs?

Either way it is just fine!

There's fat and fatter and thin and thinner,

My R8 had the biggest neck, and I mean big clocking at 0.953 at the first fret and also comparing for "feel" by measuring the surface from one edge of the fretboard to the other.

It was a big neck, so fat that I had it shaved at Joe Glaser's shop, it took 3 tries until they took off enough and it is still thicker than a 60's neck.

I never much noticed the thickness of the neck, but rather the width of the neck and fingerboard.

Me too. I like it short and tight SG Classic or a Fender Mustang style. Ibanez or other broad flat shredder fretboards? Yuck. Makes it tough for my short sausage fingers to work their magic* on the fretboard.

*Magic my a$$. More like stumbling and tripping.

I like the thin necks because I have short, fat fingers and I have a tendency to roll my thumb around the backside of the neck, as opposed to having it on the center of the back of the neck. So it's easy for me to play. Just the way I learned to play I guess. Thinner necks give my fat hands a little easier time in reaching.

My Junior is a slim taper, I like it for lead work when recording, And it is a fun fast neck to play.

I have long fingers, so If i play it for any length of time (More than one set) it makes my hand really tired.

My SG has a 50's profile, fits like a glove, I can sit and play for hours.

Archived