Gibson Brands Forums

Pictures of your Gibson only guitars

4Hayden

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Axe, I love the composition on your photo, very classy look.

These aren't all my Gibsons, but I kind of did this photo just to show off my pointies, or fleet of UFO's from area '57 ;) .

DSC00589.jpg

Purely from a photography stnadpoint, I always liked how this photo came out:

DSC00230.jpg

Always liked how this looks too:

263812_160029854065826_100001764380921_351117_5525153_n.jpg

Back by popular demand...

my 1988 ES-175 and GA-5 Les Paul Jr. Amplifier.

You know you love it. Admit it.

Snapshot2009-01-1508-39-38.jpg

YES OK! I admit it. I confess....I am filled with envy and covetousness.

Acoustics

2011guitars007.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

Electrics

DSC00650.jpg

Nice, I noticed you are realy careful with those guitars, all the extra cloth...don't you play them? And what are those things in the soundholes of the 2 accoustics? (just genuin questions)

YES OK! I admit it. I confess....I am filled with envy and covetousness.

We can find a support group for ya jdgm.

Maybe get you into a good 12 step program.

Or you can get yourself a nice ES-175 and increase your playing satisfaction by a factor of 10 right off the bat.

I'll hazard a couple guesses here: the extra care is the mark of someone who had to earn and probably justify the to himself the cost of the guitars at the expense of some other need rather than receiving them as a gift or having the means readily available to purchase on a whim. The cloth on the stands protects the chemically active finish of the guitars from reacting to the stands, something that is best found out through pre-purchase research and worst discovered by unhappy accident. It's a different kind of love for your guitars than when a player beats the crap out of his instrument through daily heavy usage and doesn't spend playing time cleaning. It's not better or worse, just different. I fall into the maintain camp, myself. A clean weapon is a functional weapon, and all that jazz, but it took me saving up for my first expensive guitar to drive that home in my own mind. The guitar I played for years was never cleaned and literally thrown on a couch and forgotten about when I was done. Rusty hardware, grimy, etc etc. I don't even let my cheap beaters get like that anymore.

The devices in the sound holes are flux capacitors. Kidding, they're one type of the plethora of humidifiers out there. :)

We can find a support group for ya jdgm.

Maybe get you into a good 12 step program.

Or you can get yourself a nice ES-175 and increase your playing satisfaction by a factor of 10 right off the bat.

Yes! Your guitar looks so good. Got to have a black one....soon!

I'll hazard a couple guesses here: the extra care is the mark of someone who had to earn and probably justify the to himself the cost of the guitars at the expense of some other need rather than receiving them as a gift or having the means readily available to purchase on a whim. The cloth on the stands protects the chemically active finish of the guitars from reacting to the stands, something that is best found out through pre-purchase research and worst discovered by unhappy accident. It's a different kind of love for your guitars than when a player beats the crap out of his instrument through daily heavy usage and doesn't spend playing time cleaning. It's not better or worse, just different. I fall into the maintain camp, myself. A clean weapon is a functional weapon, and all that jazz, but it took me saving up for my first expensive guitar to drive that home in my own mind. The guitar I played for years was never cleaned and literally thrown on a couch and forgotten about when I was done. Rusty hardware, grimy, etc etc. I don't even let my cheap beaters get like that anymore.

The devices in the sound holes are flux capacitors. Kidding, they're one type of the plethora of humidifiers out there. :)

I didn't mean to offend anyone...I don't let my guitar over night in the garden, I worked hard to get the money for my ES175 together as well! I am carefull with it and don't play in low ceiling cellars (if that can be avoided). But the standards are not going to damage your guitar, they are made for it.

I didn't mean to offend anyone...I don't let my guitar over night in the garden, I worked hard to get the money for my ES175 together as well! I am carefull with it and don't play in low ceiling cellars (if that can be avoided). But the standards are not going to damage your guitar, they are made for it.

Some stands are very able to damage the finish on your guitar - if it has a nitro cellulose finish - like a Gibson does...... you need to be careful. I drape cloth over my my own racks and stands - I'm not taking any chances. Just google it to see what I mean....

Some stands are very able to damage the finish on your guitar - if it has a nitro cellulose finish - like a Gibson does...... you need to be careful. I drape cloth over my my own racks and stands - I'm not taking any chances. Just google it to see what I mean....

Now that is freaky...I indeed googled it:

Strongest, sturdiest tubular folding stand we've seen anywhere!

Made to exacting specs with soft black neoprene rubber tubing to protect your guitar. Folds up for easy transport. Not for nitrocellulose-finish guitars.

Nice, I must be carefull then with my nitro finnished Es175.

Well, I am glad I asked why the cloth was on the stands!...I shut my mounth now and [blush] [blush]

cheers!

Now that is freaky...I indeed googled it:

Strongest, sturdiest tubular folding stand we've seen anywhere!

Made to exacting specs with soft black neoprene rubber tubing to protect your guitar. Folds up for easy transport. Not for nitrocellulose-finish guitars.

Nice, I must be carefull then with my nitro finnished Es175.

Well, I am glad I asked why the cloth was on the stands!...I shut my mounth now and [blush] [blush]

cheers!

Glad to help!

Axe, I love the composition on your photo, very classy look.

These aren't all my Gibsons, but I kind of did this photo just to show off my pointies, or fleet of UFO's from area '57 ;) .

DSC00589.jpg

Purely from a photography stnadpoint, I always liked how this photo came out:

DSC00230.jpg

Always liked how this looks too:

263812_160029854065826_100001764380921_351117_5525153_n.jpg

best pics so far les paul's are so boring

Sorry, did I come off as offended? I was just speculating and being colorful with my examples.

I used to beat the crap out of my instruments. I take much better care of them these days. Keep doing whatever is making you happy to play. About the only approach I don't really appreciate is the artificial relicing, especially when taken to an extreme such as burning, grinding and sanding. To me that's akin to forging a resume. But to each their own. It's not like I have to play those guitars.

And yeah, the nitro finish is pretty delicate. It's still preferred in some circles due to it's easy reparability (it will redissolve). Any of those old stand with surgical tubing for cushion and a lot of rubber and foam padding will cause a reaction over time. As well, any blockage of air circulation may lead to discoloration (like decals or covers, etc.). I use a scratch pad on the backs of mine when I perform and am careful not to leave it on afterwards. Also it scratches somewhat easily so use soft cotton to clean and polish it if you are going to do that.

Lastly, quick changes in temperature/humidity can have an adverse effect, more pronounced than poly. From Gibson's own FAQ at http://www2.gibson.com/Support/FAQ.aspx

My instrument has small cracks in the finish – what causes this? Is it covered under the warranty?

This is known as 'finish checking'. This is a result of the instrument being subjected to a rapid change in temperature or humidity. In most cases it happens in winter when a chilled instrument is exposed to warm air. The cracks are a result of the wood expanding faster than the lacquer. Since we have no control over the environmental conditions surrounding the use of the instrument we cannot cover this type of situation under our warranty.

Some people really like this look. Eventually it will happen. How soon it does depends on conditions the finish is subjected to. I've even heard of people intentionally causing it (kind of like putting artificial cigarette burns on a guitar or other forms of induced aging.)

Archived