Gibson Brands Forums

Gold hardwear and straplock questions

GPNfan

I have three Epiphones with gold hardwear and was wondering what can I clean it with. My G400 Custom is my newest with gold HW and is fine just being wiped off. My Zakk Wylde Camo Bullseye is the worst of the three with tarnish on the stop tail and wear on both ends of the bridge. The wear and tarnish is almost in the exact places where my right hand rest. My third with gold HW is the Zakk Wylde White Bullseye wich I got used and the gold is wearing off but not tarnished. So what do you guys use to clean gold HW?

In the next week or two I'm gonna get strap locks for my G400 Custom which will more than likely will be Schallers. I was just wondering if I would have to worry about the length of the screw when installing the strap button at the neck. I never thought about this untill I saw a comment made about Dunlop straplock screws being to long and hitting the truss rod on a SG. For those wondering the comment was made on Dunlop's web site in response to a artical Dunlop posted about strap lock instalation.

Thanks for any help.

I have three Epiphones with gold hardwear and was wondering what can I clean it with. My G400 Custom is my newest with gold HW and is fine just being wiped off. My Zakk Wylde Camo Bullseye is the worst of the three with tarnish on the stop tail and wear on both ends of the bridge. The wear and tarnish is almost in the exact places where my right hand rest. My third with gold HW is the Zakk Wylde White Bullseye wich I got used and the gold is wearing off but not tarnished. So what do you guys use to clean gold HW?

In the next week or two I'm gonna get strap locks for my G400 Custom which will more than likely will be Schallers. I was just wondering if I would have to worry about the length of the screw when installing the strap button at the neck. I never thought about this untill I saw a comment made about Dunlop straplock screws being to long and hitting the truss rod on a SG. For those wondering the comment was made on Dunlop's web site in response to a artical Dunlop posted about strap lock instalation.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know what the best is, but I use a damp cloth. (I do have some polish for silverware that I use on chrome that is starting to get tarnished and it works pretty good.) Gold does wear off and it will tarnish with use and age, that is just the way it is. Some gold hardware wears off faster than others. Some guys like that look, I don't. The more acidity in your system, the faster it will wear off and or tarnish. I guess if it bothers you a lot the only real solution is to get new hardware.

I have a Sheraton and the gold on the pups are starting to wear off a little, but not too bad. I usually clean the hardware after every time I use it to keep it in as good of shape as possible.

As far as the Dunlop Straploks hitting the truss rod in an SG,I can only comment on mine. I have a cherry 2005 G-400 with Maestro. I put Dunlop Straploks on it right after I bought it new, and I haven't have any issues. The neck is a little chunkier than some that I have played though.

Thanks for any help.

I use Shallers on my LP Ultra II with the original screws. What I did was drill out the centers of the button to fit the screw.

I love gold hardware but it tends to be a pain to keep nice and shinny; inevitably it will tarnish and I have yet to find anything that really clean without damaging or taking away the gold plating.

Best to slow down the process is by cleaning regularly with a dry cloth like after each playing session.

On the other hand with the aging trend on instruments lately, it is not necessarily an undesirable thing.

Regarding the strap locks, it would be best to use the actual screw already present on the guitar and do like already suggested, enlarge the screw hole on the button itself.

It is what I did on my Gibson Lespaul as I did not want to screw deeper...

The gold wearing off doesn't bother me but the tarnish does. I do have to say the fact that the wear and tarnish is almost exactly the same spot my had lays one the bride and stop bar is kinda cool. I'll try and clean the hardwear at least after every use from now on. I know at least for myself when I'm looking for that majic product for cleaning hardwear in this case I tend to overlook the most simple way to get the job done.

As for the Schaller strap buttons when I installed them on my Camo Bullseye the stock strap button screw wouldn't fit but the Schaller screw fit the guitar. On another guitar I have the stock strap button srew fit the Schaller strap buttons. How did you guys drill the Schaller strap buttons. Like what drill bit did you use and how exactly did you drill the strap button? Again thanks for any help.

I have installed about 40 sets of Schaller straplocks on my guitars -chrome, black, and gold. Most often the screw hole is too big. What I do is glue in a round toothpick to fill the hole then use the Schaller screws. Titebond I or II glue is what I use.

As mentioned above you can drill out the Schaller button to take the original screw. I use these tootpicks foundt at al-Mart, Publix, & Kroger stores:

0004878916215_300X300.jpg

I think part of the problem with "gold" plating on parts is that it tends to be thin, worn easily, and placed onto metal treated to best accept the plating as opposed to being itself a "hard" finish.

Bottom line: It's gonna happen.

Can't help with the straplock question 'cuz I've never used 'em. But I have added lotza strap buttons and it's a good idea to know where you're going with the screws.

Frankly I wish AE guitars didn't have such a tendency to use the endpin as a jack 'cuz it's always a strap problem and there's no way any strap I've seen is gonna hold very well compared to a regular endpin or strap button - and short of adding another strap button of some sort, you're scrod. (Scrod, of course, is the past tense of another word. <grin>)

m

I found the best gold/silver/brass etc. cleaner/polish in Miami a couple of years ago.The product is called Sparklean and it's an all purpose cleaner/polish for all forms of jewelery and precious metals and gems.It comes in 8 and 16 0z. plastic bottles and the website is: http://www.sklean.com or you can phone (786)287-9981. The best part of their cleaning/polishing products is the Sparklean Cloth which is just phenomenal for polishing the gold or brass hardware on guitars.The older and blacker the cloth gets,the better its cleaning power becomes.You just clean the gold part with a cloth dampened with the solution and dry it off and then you rub it gently all over with the Sparklean cloth and lightly buff it off with a clean dry cloth.The shine you get is just dazzling.The website is the same as for the solution or you can call toll-free : (866) 772 7556.It's one of the few products that does everything that it says it does.

Windex is harmless. If you allow it to sit on the tarnished pieces for a few minutes, it may dissolve the "scum" off of the hardware. Be patient in your restoring of your gold h"ware. Don't use any "compounds" that contain a grit of any kind. Unoffensive warm soap & water and very soft toothbrush. Also, get free estimates on the cost of gold plating what you've got. Eventually, this will become a necessity if you play a lot. Have Fun!

I put Gold Schallers on my White Falcon. I kept the original screws the Gretsch came with and this required me to drill out my Schallers. If the original screws don't fit your new Schallers just buy a proper sized drill bit and simply drill out the proper sized hole. You can hold the Shaller button in your hand while you drill it; I've done it, it is safe.

As far as caring for gold hardware...just wipe it down after ever time you play. Use a guitar polishing cloth. I've had gold hardware on a twenty year old guitar and I swear to you the gold looks brand new. But be aware, some gold plating will wear. The gold-plated bridge on my Falcon is wearing. My hand sits on it everytime I play so of course it will wear no matter what care I do for it.

Archived