Gibson Brands Forums

Traded My New Les Paul For a New Strat

Macmutt

Now before you guy's jump all over me, give me a chance to explain.

Well i've been playing guitar for nearly 25 years, and ever since i first learned about all the different types of guitars from my older brother, who's been playing nearly 40 years, i fell in love with 2 types of guitars the Fender Strat and the Gibson Les Paul.

Truth be told i loved the Les Paul a little more, well i was one of those many guy's who went to the music stores and tried his dream guitars like strats and les pauls for years, and last year i finally got the money together to buy my dream Les Paul.

However, as most of you know the Les Paul's of today are not the ones from 30 years ago, Gibson has cut too many corners with the materials and construction of the newest Les Pauls, today they are no longer solid bodies, they have holes and chambers drilled and routered in the bodies for weight relief, the necks no longer have triple ply binding, and in my particular model the fretboard was baked maple not rosewood, even the jack plate was plastic instead of metal, the string nuts are no longer bone, there plastic, the pick up chambers are no longer copper shielded.

Now i knew about all these little imperfections that bothered me before i bought the guitar, but i had no choice, i wanted a brand new Gibson that no one has ever played but me and i thought i could live with these imperfections....i was wrong, even though the guitar felt and sounded good, it didn't feel and sound like the one's i played in the music stores all those years ago, and after a few months, i decided not to settle and i chose to swap it for a new Fender American Standard Strat, one of the few guitars unchanged in materials and construction ever since it's inception back in the 50's.

Both Fender and Gibson are million if not billion dollar companies, there is no need for Gibson to cut corners on materials and quality construction, Fender never has, i also discovered Fender American strats are not only more affordable than the traditional Les Paul Classic or standard, but they include more in the package.

You get the guitar, a Fender hardshell case made by SKB, a fancy comfortable Fender strap, truss rod key, a guitar polishing cloth and cleaner, a good guitar/amp cable as well as all manuals, warranties and decals.

I believe my Gibson Les Paul came with a hardshell case (inferior in quality to the Fender SKB), a trussrod key,and manuals, but the Gibson was hundreds of dollars more, and built of a lesser quality than my new Fender and Gibsons of 30 years ago.

Say what you will but hopefully someone from Gibson will read this,(which i doubt) and maybe they'll think twice about cutting corners just to save a few bucks, because not all of us players are teenagers just starting out who don't know any better about guitar quality and the old ways of Gibson craftsmanship, some of us are in our 40's and 50's and remember how well they used to be made.

Well farewell Gibson you've truly broken my heart, i was ready to be a customer for life, but if this is a taste of guitars yet to come, then i'm afraid i'll only be a one time customer, and i'm sure these comments will be swept under the rug and blown off, but i can always hope that someone at Gibson might hear these words and make a change.

i finally got the money together to buy my dream Les Paul.

However, as most of you know the Les Paul's of today are not the ones from 30 years ago, today they are no longer solid bodies, they have holes and chambers, and in my particular model the fretboard was baked maple not rosewood.

Now i knew about all these little imperfections that bothered me before i bought the guitar, but i had no choice, i wanted a brand new Gibson that no one has ever played but me and i thought i could live with these imperfections....i was wrong.

Both Fender and Gibson are million if not billion dollar companies, there is no need for Gibson to cut corners on materials and quality construction, Fender never has, i also discovered Fender American strats are not only more affordable than the traditional Les Paul Classic or standard, but they include more in the package.

You get the guitar, a fancy comfortable Fender strap, truss rod key, a guitar polishing cloth, and decals.

Well farewell Gibson you've truly broken my heart, i was ready to be a customer for life, but if this is a taste of guitars yet to come, then i'm afraid i'll only be a one time customer, and i'm sure these comments will be swept under the rug and blown off.

Hmmmmm........Fenders come with "decals" ??? Well, oh my......And all this time I thought that the "holes" were where the pickups went.....[crying] :unsure: [blink] .....

Hmmmmm #2; It's a shame that there are no used Gibsons available that are available.

Checkout the "Fender Forum"......Thanks for stopping by.......[biggrin] ....

I was indeed in a similar situation last year. I bought a new 2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional. I could not bond with the Guitar. Also, it had more imperfections than I care to mention. After a couple of months, I did a swap deal with a guy for 2009 ES-335 Dot Reissue. I instantly bonded with the ES-335. Even though it had the same pickups as the Traditional, it was brighter, more resonant and more versatile and the build quality was flawless. I fell in love with the Guitar.

Unfortunately, a short while later, the guy I swapped with called me begging for his ES-335 back. I could have said no but I've moved on Guitars I should have kept in the past and regretted it to I took the Les Paul back. About a week later I traded the Les Paul for a 2005 Jeff Beck Strat, the finest Guitar to ever become part of my collection.

However, the memory of the Gibson ES-335 never went away and in March this year I bought a brand new one, identical to the one that I had for a short time. Again, the build quality and tone is top quality.

Some of the comments on your post are a little extreme and way out of line and only you know what you like and if you didn't like the Les Paul then that is your choice and you have your reasons. I hope you got some money back if it was a Les Paul Standard, you could get two American Standard Strats for one of those over here. I was ready to write off Gibson altogether last year as I hadn't been able to get used to a number of Les Pauls and an SG in the past. The ES-335 was the game changer, this may have been the alternative to the Strat perhaps?

I think the important thing is that you are happy with the trade.

As to gibson and fender I love both, i have teles, strats, les pauls, SGs, and offsets as well, and some bought used others new and they all have there sounds and quirks.

I have no problems as to Fenders and Gibsons build and quality they are just different thats all !

Well i've been playing guitar for nearly 25 years, and ever since i first learned about all the different types of guitars from my older brother, who's been playing nearly 40 years, i fell in love with 2 types of guitars the Fender Strat and the Gibson Les Paul.

Truth be told i loved the Les Paul a little more, well i was one of those many guy's who went to the music stores and tried his dream guitars like strats and les pauls for years, and last year i finally got the money together to buy my dream Les Paul.

However, as most of you know the Les Paul's of today are not the ones from 30 years ago, Gibson has cut too many corners with the materials and construction of the newest Les Pauls, today they are no longer solid bodies, they have holes and chambers drilled and routered in the bodies for weight relief, the necks no longer have triple ply binding, and in my particular model the fretboard was baked maple not rosewood, even the jack plate was plastic instead of metal, the string nuts are no longer bone, there plastic, the pick up chambers are no longer copper shielded.

Now i knew about all these little imperfections that bothered me before i bought the guitar, but i had no choice, i wanted a brand new Gibson that no one has ever played but me and i thought i could live with these imperfections....i was wrong, even though the guitar felt and sounded good, it didn't feel and sound like the one's i played in the music stores all those years ago, and after a few months, i decided not to settle and i chose to swap it for a new Fender American Standard Strat, one of the few guitars unchanged in materials and construction ever since it's inception back in the 50's.

You get the guitar, a Fender hardshell case made by SKB, a fancy comfortable Fender strap, truss rod key, a guitar polishing cloth and cleaner, a good guitar/amp cable as well as all manuals, warranties and decals.

I believe my Gibson Les Paul came with a hardshell case (inferior in quality to the Fender SKB), a trussrod key,and manuals, but the Gibson was hundreds of dollars more, and built of a lesser quality than my new Fender and Gibsons of 30 years ago.

Say what you will but hopefully someone from Gibson will read this,(which i doubt) and maybe they'll think twice about cutting corners just to save a few bucks, because not all of us players are teenagers just starting out who don't know any better about guitar quality and the old ways of Gibson craftsmanship, some of us are in our 40's and 50's and remember how well they used to be made.

Well farewell Gibson you've truly broken my heart, i was ready to be a customer for life, but if this is a taste of guitars yet to come, then i'm afraid i'll only be a one time customer, and i'm sure these comments will be swept under the rug and blown off, but i can always hope that someone at Gibson might hear these words and make a change.

30 years ago people said the same thing about the Norlins. *rolls eyes*

Yea referencing 30 years is exactly the wrong era to reference.

There is no comparison between Gibson and Fender because they are made very differently. Including materials and finishes.

Fender makes Gretsch in the USA, why then are they as expensive as a Gibson?

But my favorite is this:

"Fender American Standard Strat, one of the few guitars unchanged in materials and construction ever since it's inception back in the 50's"

You mean the 3-piece body, fulcrum tremolo that does not hold edge or the polyurethane finish?

Please.

Oh well..

Just leaves more for the rest of us that do like our Gibsons.. :)

Ive got several and have never seen any of these quality issues talked about? (only read about them on here).. Im not saying that they dont exsist... But to dissmiss a whole company on the basis of one guitar does seem silly... How many did you try?

As for the weight releif.. I still dont undertsand peoples issues with this.. They sound just as good and weigh less so its easier on your back to play over long periods, wheres the issue? If you think that it doesnt sustain as much or have a thick sound then id have to dissagree with that. (and im also nearly 40 and been playing for over 25 years and have had a Gibson since 1993).

Well i had a feeling that some die hard Les Paul fans would retaliate with calling me a " troll " but to bash the construction of a strat and compare it to todays Gibsons is ridiculous.

My brother has a gorgeous Black 84 Gibson SG Standard with white triple ply binding around the 60's slim taper neck, a bone nut, Gibson 498 and 500 P.A.F pickups, copper shielded chambers, jack on the side with " metal " jack plate, solid honduran mahogany neck and body...it is truly flawless.

When that guitar was put next to my former 2011 Les Paul, the comparison in material and craftsmanship was a joke...My cousin has an 87 Fender american standard Strat, same specs as mine, side by side there nearly identical except for the different color finishes.

So you can all think what you want but this is not personal opinion it is side by side comparitive facts, gibson guitars are not made as good as they were, but Fenders are.

I can see both sides of the argument here. My Charvel, although built great isn't settling in with me. I feel more comfortable with my cheap Ibanez sa. So, I may sell it.

Whether a guitar is/was built today or 30 years ago makes no difference. We all have different hands and feel and unless you're comfortable with it, you'll never settle with it. I often moan about the 'sig' guitars on here, but that's a different subject. Perhaps, Macmutt, you're not a 'Gibson' man. Sg's are different to Les Pauls. So. why didn't you try one? Or the Classic Custom or Midtown models. I've found that coming back to playing, I like a thin neck. I tried a mate's 57 reissue Gold Top recently and it felt like a tree trunk to me. Me included, you should always try before you buy. If your brother or friends have a Les Paul try that. But you won't go wrong with a Strat. Enjoy.

Ps...Anybody want a mint Charvel So-Cal? Much better value than a Fender (yes I know Fender owns them).

Now, now, just because someone may have a different opinion than you, doesn't mean they're a troll.

Deciding you like Fender more than your Gibson is fine. Making up a bunch of silly justifications for it and then posting them on the Gibson Forum is First Degree Trolling.

Gibson has cut too many corners with the materials and construction of the newest Les Pauls, today they are no longer solid bodies, they have holes and chambers drilled and routered in the bodies for weight relief,

If that's important to you then you bought the wrong guitar. There are Les Paul models today that are not weight relieved.

the necks no longer have triple ply binding,

No classic Les Pauls ever did.

even the jack plate was plastic instead of metal,

They are plastic to make sure they are more like the original 50's Les Paul.

the string nuts are no longer bone, there plastic,

Actually they're Corian. Just like Fender.

the pick up chambers are no longer copper shielded.

When has Gibson every copper shielded the pickup cavities on a Les Paul and why would they?

and in my particular model the fretboard was baked maple not rosewood,

And yet you bought it any way... :rolleyes:

Now, Let's look at the other side of the coin.

there is no need for Gibson to cut corners on materials and quality construction, Fender never has... one of the few guitars unchanged in materials and construction ever since it's inception back in the 50's.

Unless you count plastic nuts, 3 bolt necks, Wilkinson bridges, "synchronized" bridges, two-pivot American bridges, "hardtail" bridges, Floyd Rose locking tremolos, FreeFlyte bridges, locking tuners, "Photo Finishes", Lace Sensors, Vintage Noiseless, 2 knob strats, big headstocks, little headstocks, trus rod nut at the body, trus rod nut at the head, swimming pool routs, TBX tone controls, S1 switches, 3 position switches, 5 positions switches, push button switches, sheet metal saddles, die cast saddles, Micro Tilt Necks... ect, ect, ect...

The list goes on and that's just on the American Strats. We haven't even gotten into the plywood bodies and plastic fingerboards of their lesser models. We haven't even looked into the fact that their "American" made guitars are painted and partially built in Mexico. We haven't even addressed the fact the Leo originally designed his guitars to be stamped out on a factory line as fast as you could go with no binding, bolt on necks, cheap wood and originally didn't even want to use a Truss Rod. A Strat can not be directly compared to a Les Paul price wise.

And still Gibson offers more well built American made models for under $1000 than Fender does.

If you like your Fender more than your Gibson that's fine but let's not get all high and mighty about it [rolleyes]

Deciding you like Fender more than your Gibson is fine. Making up a bunch of silly justifications for it is and then posting them on the Gibson Forum is First Degree Trolling.

Gibson has cut too many corners with the materials and construction of the newest Les Pauls, today they are no longer solid bodies, they have holes and chambers drilled and routered in the bodies for weight relief,

If that's important to you then you bought the wrong guitar. There are Les Paul models today that are not weight relieved.

When has Gibson every copper shielded the pickup cavities on a Les Paul and why would they?

there is no need for Gibson to cut corners on materials and quality construction, Fender never has... one of the few guitars unchanged in materials and construction ever since it's inception back in the 50's.

Unless you count plastic nuts, 3 bolt necks, Wilkinson bridges, "synchronized" bridges, two-pivot American bridges, "hardtail" bridges, Floyd Rose locking tremolos, FreeFlyte bridges, locking tuners, "Photo Finishes", Lace Sensors, Vintage Noiseless, 2 knob strats, big headstocks, little headstocks, trus rod nut at the body, trus rod nut at the head, swimming pool routs, TBX tone controls, S1 switches, 3 position switches, 5 positions switches, push button switches, sheet metal saddles, die cast saddles, Micro Tilt Necks... ect, ect, ect...

The list goes on and that's just on the American Strats. We haven't even gotten into the plywood bodies and plastic fingerboards of their lesser models. We haven't even looked into the fact that their "American" made guitars are painted and partially built in Mexico. We haven't even addressed that fact the Leo originally designed his guitars to be stamped out on a factory line as fast as you could go with no binding, bolt on necks, cheap wood and originally didn't even want to use a Truss Rod. A Strat can not be directly compared to a Les Paul.

And still Gibson offers more well built American made models for under $1000 than Fender does.

If you like your Fender more than your Gibson that's fine but let's not get all high and mighty about it [rolleyes]

WELL PUT SEARCY ! [thumbup] ALSO IS THE HEAT GETTIN TO YOU SEARCY? :rolleyes: your loaded for bear today! [thumbup]

Deciding you like Fender more than your Gibson is fine. Making up a bunch of silly justifications for it is and then posting them on the Gibson Forum is First Degree Trolling.

The list goes on and that's just on the American Strats. We haven't even gotten into the plywood bodies and plastic fingerboards of their lesser models. We haven't even looked into the fact that their "American" made guitars are painted and partially built in Mexico. We haven't even addressed that fact the Leo originally designed his guitars to be stamped out on a factory line as fast as you could go with no binding, bolt on necks, cheap wood and originally didn't even want to use a Truss Rod. A Strat can not be directly compared to a Les Paul price wise.

Thanks man, I thought I was going to have point out the absurdities and omissions in this gentleman's reasoning. But you beat me to it! I would add that when strats first arrived they were ash bodied - which then became alder and poplar. Fingerboard radius has changed too.. 1 ply scratchplate, 3 ply scratchplate... it goes on and on!

Manse

Well i had a feeling that some die hard Les Paul fans would retaliate with calling me a " troll " but to bash the construction of a strat and compare it to todays Gibsons is ridiculous.

My brother has a gorgeous Black 84 Gibson SG Standard with white triple ply binding around the 60's slim taper neck, a bone nut, Gibson 498 and 500 P.A.F pickups, copper shielded chambers, jack on the side with " metal " jack plate, solid honduran mahogany neck and body...it is truly flawless.

When that guitar was put next to my former 2011 Les Paul, the comparison in material and craftsmanship was a joke...My cousin has an 87 Fender american standard Strat, same specs as mine, side by side there nearly identical except for the different color finishes.

So you can all think what you want but this is not personal opinion it is side by side comparitive facts, gibson guitars are not made as good as they were, but Fenders are.

Gibson SG standards have the jack on top of the body, not metal or plastic plate there. Plus why is a '84 guitar not played to death by now? what a shame.

Listen I have an American Stratocaster and it is a fine guitar but you are terribly wrong in saying they are mad elike those 50 years ago,

Like what you like but spare us from your analysis and conclusions.

Deciding you like Fender more than your Gibson is fine. Making up a bunch of silly justifications for it and then posting them on the Gibson Forum is First Degree Trolling.

The list goes on and that's just on the American Strats. We haven't even gotten into the plywood bodies and plastic fingerboards of their lesser models. We haven't even looked into the fact that their "American" made guitars are painted and partially built in Mexico. We haven't even addressed the fact the Leo originally designed his guitars to be stamped out on a factory line as fast as you could go with no binding, bolt on necks, cheap wood and originally didn't even want to use a Truss Rod. A Strat can not be directly compared to a Les Paul price wise.

I don't know if you saw what I was doing... [flapper]

He did post this on Fender's Forum. (a copy and paste to be exact) I backed up Gibson all the way. Told him he bought the wrong guitar! People will never learn. Play before pay!

(Even though I payed before I played, I still knew what I was buying when I bought my Trad Pro 50's)

Lets see, I have two Lps, two Teles and a Strat among others. I like both brands. But... I had to look a lot longer for the nice LPs I own. There sure were alot of Lps that had small quality problems in the finishes, fret work and nuts. Not game stoppers but kind of disappointing.

Bottom line: I played about 40 to 50 LPs before I ended up with my current duo. Played about a dozen fenders before ending up with the teles and Strat. (Strat purchased in 1989) Teles purchased the last couple of years.

The last quarter of 2011 and this year I see alot more nicer Lps (quality wise) than the years before, this is in Los Angeles.

All my guitars are MIA except Strat MIJ. The Strat is the queen of the bunch. But the Teles though nice would be sold long before any of my LPs will.

Over the last month I have been playing exclusively PRSs solid and hollow body. Mostly play them for the ergonomics and fast necks.

I try to play everything, heck I have a killer Ibanez too, but currently I'm going through a phase with PRS.

Bottom line, I think you get more guitar in a Gibson than a Fender in general. But I love em both.

I too recently traded in a new Gibson Les Paul. Mine was a Flame Top, Classic Plus w/baked maple neck and chambered body. It was a beauty in Manhattan Midnight Blue. But unlike you, I traded mine in for a new Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro (Ebony) with the Split Coil pick ups, Grover Tuners, Rosewood fret board, and the PLEK set up.

The reason I did the trade was first and foremost, the 1st string of the Classic Plus slid off the fret board way too easy while doing open string pull offs, and sometimes even while just fretting open chords. It really wasn't a matter of technique. I also began having second thoughts about the color, which was stunning, but better suited as wall art than performing with. My last Paul was Ebony as well, and I think ebony looks killer in its own right, and goes well with everything because of its neutrality.

Anyway, I'm glad I did the trade. Yeah, I ended up losing a couple hundred bucks on the deal, but this guitar plays, feels, and sounds a lot better. I like having the single coil pick up option, and the Grover Tuners. This guitar (not being chambered) is quite a bit heavier as well, which has always been the trade off for getting that fat Les Paul tone. I don't mind the weight. This is my fourth Les Paul, and I've gotten used to it. My first Les Paul was a 71 Custom W/Triple Humbucker. Now that puppy had some weight.

PS - I've also owned a couple of American Standard Strats in my time, but just try as I may, just couldn't appreciate what any of the fuss was about. The Gibson despite the weight is more of a breeze to navigate, and is always consistent and reliable.

^^^mmmh I don't think you knew what you were doing...

Falsely feeding a trolls ego only to deflate it later on if replies are done.

Seems to be one of the better ways of dealing with them.

The sheer ignorance - as far as both Les Pauls and Strats are concerned - displayed by the OP in the opening post beggars belief. Almost everything written there is incorrect.

... i knew about all these little imperfections that bothered me before i bought the guitar, but i had no choice...

Yes; you did (and still do) have a choice. You could have bought a re-issue instead of a Classic. They are built to pretty much exactly the same specifications as the originals.

P.

He can be happy with his trade if he wants, but if he did trade a (I'm assuming due to the description) Les Paul Standard/Traditional for a new American Standard Strat, the music store raped him. And the statement made regarding the Strat hasn't been changed since it's inception in the '50's is incorrect. The body woods have changed (alder, poplar, ash) and then we have the finish changes from nitro to poly. In fact, the "standard" strat has changed more so than the Les Paul. I am 100% a Fender fan, and own several Fenders.....but I wouldn't even trade my Les Paul Studio for a new American Standard Stratocaster LOL. I have 3 AM std's, and they are fine instruments indeed. But to trade a $2500 guitar for a $1000 guitar is just foolish. Should have just sold the LP, bought a new strat and had $500+ left over for accessories and such LOL :D

Archived