Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Epiphone Olympic pickup or substitute needed

Bob Gollihur

I'm fixing my bandmate's old Epi solid body two single coil guitar, he's the original owner, and I've determined that the neck pickup has an open. Can anyone suggest a low budget replacement? He hacked it up a bit and refinished it in his youth (if only we'd known!) and so doesn't want to put big bucks into it.,

A Strat pickup is too short and string spacing off, but I've found an inexpensive single coil Lace rail pickup that might be ok, figured if it sounds ok I could try to swap housings, I'm a bass player of similar vintage myself, but I don't have much experience with these axes. Any guidance is appreciated. thanks, Bob

I don't think anyone still mass produces a pickup like that.

They were the same pickups used on Gibson Melody Makers at the time, so you'd either have to find an old one (usually a few up on ebay), or look at having one made for you.

Other than that, there might be a couple smaller pup makers that make them still, but I wouldn't know.

Hi Bob. That's a nice guitar to keep original. To maintain originality of the old Epi, have the original p'up rewound. Where Duncan would charge over $100.00, Benson Custom P'ups does a rewind for $36.50. 'Google' Benson pickups. He is very customer oriented, and will get back to you fast since he is building his business. He has good references from satisfied guitarists. This would keep the value of the guitar at least where it was. This older model year of Epi is a great prospect for a refinish job. I hope that you can keep it original. I think you are "At The Crossroads" as to whether you 'keep her stock' or start some custom work. (personally, I would install a mini'humbucker in the neck position and coil tap that. A P-90 would go well at the bridge. Better yet, a Bill Lawrence XL500 Humbucker at the bridge.I love Heritage Cherry (as in your photo) and would have it redone in that after all other work. I own 2 old Gibson Melody Makers and I hot rodded them both any way that I could. They don't have a high collector's value anyway. BUT: I would never mess with and Les Paul Junior, Special, S.G.Junior,and so many others. Rednefceleb.

Hi Bob. That's a nice guitar to keep original. To maintain originality of the old Epi, have the original p'up rewound. Where Duncan would charge over $100.00, Benson Custom P'ups does a rewind for $36.50. 'Google' Benson pickups. He is very customer oriented, and will get back to you fast since he is building his business. He has good references from satisfied guitarists. This would keep the value of the guitar at least where it was. This older model year of Epi is a great prospect for a refinish job. I hope that you can keep it original. I think you are "At The Crossroads" as to whether you 'keep her stock' or start some custom work. (personally, I would install a mini'humbucker in the neck position and coil tap that. A P-90 would go well at the bridge. Better yet, a Bill Lawrence XL500 Humbucker at the bridge.I love Heritage Cherry (as in your photo) and would have it redone in that after all other work. I own 2 old Gibson Melody Makers and I hot rodded them both any way that I could. They don't have a high collector's value anyway. BUT: I would never mess with and Les Paul Junior, Special, S.G.Junior,and so many others. Rednefceleb.

Thanks for the tip, I've sent a message through their site. I just put Fender SCN into his MexiStrat, so he's covered; I'd love to keep the Epi as close to stock as possible.

While I have you... it's always been my experience that 250K pots are used for single coil pickups, also for tone control bleeds; he had work done in the past and it looks like somebody put 500K pots in it, even for tone. Was 250K the original value for these puppies? I appreciate your assist.

Archived