Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a scatch track of a song that was literally written in 3 minutes - chords, melody and lyrics. Followed by a more finished, but still amatuer, recorded version. J-45 rythym, 12 fetter for the lead. This whole post is an experiment, really have very little idea how this all werks... um, works. Sound quality is not the best, but would be interested in how others move from idea to finish.

Here's a scatch track of a song that was literally written in 3 minutes - chords, melody and lyrics. Followed by a more finished, but still amatuer, recorded version. J-45 rythym, 12 fetter for the lead. This whole post is an experiment, really have very little idea how this all werks... um, works. Sound quality is not the best, but would be interested in how others move from idea to finish.

This is great stuff, Duluth Dan!

Great for a warm and lazy Sunday afternoon......

Alberta-bound Fred

Nice one Dan, enjoyed the groove and the laid back mood of the track. Its great to see how it evolves from a rough idea to to a full multi-instrumental recording. I thougth you totally retained the core of hte idea from the original scratch track, which is not always easy to achieve !

Well done.

EA

Good stuff Dan. I particularly like the raw track but that's just my lo-fi bias.The worked up track is excellent too.As Del said some NY qualities to your voice...but good NY qualities not whiney ones.

You are always generous with your comments on other people's works...but you have your own gems- more please [thumbup]

I like the song and arrangement

Not sure if it was me or my headphones

But the second track sounded slightly distorted to me

Will have a listen later using my Senny HD650 headphones which not lie !

It's nice to be able to play with people, I have to do all my stuff on my own. Having other musicians helps shape the song / arrangement really and make it sound organic.

Thanks for the kind commenets. Neil Young ? I did write this on an unplugged Les Paul, with probably a Powderfinger sort of tempo in mind, Though those that know me well know darn well I have no rhythm. This song, after its creation, was a very collaberative effort for the two hours it took to record that final fuzzy version. I played it through a few times, then got kicked out of the room while my friend laid down the thumping tempo. Then came the rhythm guitar and main vocal, along with the egg shaker, then the harmonica, then the lead guitar, then the harmonies. The whole thing, including a couple of beers, took just over two hours. I sang what I had in mind for the lead part, and my friend Steve picked it up and made it better. Miss those guys, but was only in town 3 hours, and glad we could have a little fun. Happy you enjoyed it. Gotta go find some new guys to collaberate with. Those 2 are 1,100 miles away.