Gibson Brands Forums

Suspicious net activity

LarryUK

Can anyone explain why, after I've looked at some sites. eg Ebay. When I go to other sites, the ads are of things I've looked at on the other sites? I looked at how much my camera would be worth on ebay last night and I've just looked on a site and the ads included the new model/make of my camera. I find it very disconcerting.

Are you new to the internet or something? Those ads are all run by Google's ad service. Anything you search for is recorded. Google knows your browsing habits. Don't worry about it. Google just wants to make sure that you see ads that pertain to you and your interests. Like if you and me were both on the same web page, you would see ads that pertain to what you have searched for lately and I would see completely different ads. I would probably see something having to do with computer parts or car parts since that is what I usually am looking for when I'm shopping for something on the internet.

Like I said, don't worry about it.

Are you new to the internet or something? Those ads are all run by Google's ad service. Anything you search for is recorded. Google knows your browsing habits. Don't worry about it. Google just wants to make sure that you see ads that pertain to you and your interests. Like if you and me were both on the same web page, you would see ads that pertain to what you have searched for lately and I would see completely different ads. I would probably see something having to do with computer parts or car parts since that is what I usually am looking for when I'm shopping for something on the internet.

Like I said, don't worry about it.

I got Musician's Friend ads on YouTube for Soldano amps and Maxon pedals....

A little out of the norm compared to your usual Marshall, Fender, Vox, Dunlop, Boss, etc.....

Cause' I look at Soldano amps and Maxon pedals....

You're right! That's how the internet (and Google) work!

Guest farnsbarns

Rabs is correct. Delete your cookies and they will go away for awhile, if you disable cookies they will stay away.

Worth mentioning that deleting your cookies will result in loss of your saved passwords and ability to be logged into sites automatically and it won't stop ads appearing, it'll just stop them being targeted ads. To my mind, targeted ads are less irritating.

Worth mentioning that deleting your cookies will result in loss of your saved passwords and ability to be logged into sites automatically and it won't stop ads appearing, it'll just stop them being targeted ads. To my mind, targeted ads are less irritating.

Good point... I probably should have mentioned that [blush]

And yeah.. I think that people just have an issue knowing that they are being targeted like that, it is a bit strange when you first realise the deatil of how Google and the like are watching us.. But its nothing new... Any site that saves your prefrences or remembers your password will no longer do so if you turn your cookies off.

I blame Rabs, I thought he mentioned it in his post. Damn you Rabs. [lol]

Targeting ads, not a lot different than the old days of indie music, book and record stores. You'd walk in and one of the clerks would say, hey we just got a new record by this really great new jazz guitarist, you should check it out. Targeting sales pitch.

Brad

mmm. Cookies...msp_thumbup.gif

Oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, or peanut butter?

I'm actually eating cupcake right now. The icing is cloyingly sweet. Makes my teeth hurt like Zoe Deschanel.

If you are using Chrome or Firefox then you can just install Ad Block Plus and you will never see ads or popup windows again. I use it and it works great.

Thanks for enlightening me on that installation. I just added it. Took about 3 seconds.

And it does work great. Thanks a lot ! [thumbup]

We have met Big Brother and they is us.

Yup, I ordered from Jimmy John's today. I expect to see JJ's on banner ads for the next 2 weeks on everything from web searches to FaceBook.

I bought an air mattress at home this morning off of the Brazilian rain forest river site. I expect to see those ads for some time as well.

They will be supplanted by ads for items on other sites which I frequent in the coming weeks.

Do you pay for Explorer? or Mozilla Firefox? or whatever web browser you use? I didn't think so. If you use something for free on the 'net, YOU are the product being sold.

Rabs is correct. Delete your cookies and they will go away for awhile, if you disable cookies they will stay away.

Yabut, some sites won't function properly without cookies enabled. Be aware you may need to, from time to time, temporarily enable them on sites you WANT them to work on.

True that. I have noticed that since I don't click on adds for some babe who wants me, I haven't seen ads for this promiscuous site in quite some time.

Oddly, I don't see any ads for Gibson either.

I Can Always tell when the wife is been shopping online,

I suddenly get plastered with ads for women's shoes...

msp_biggrin.gif

And just what is it ahem that SHE sees that you've been frequenting?

[sneaky]

Archived