Gibson Brands Forums

NGD ( No photos . . . YET)

KL

So I did a swap yesterday. I swapped a 2004 Les Paul standard for a mint 2007 J-45. The J-45 is a Fuller's Guitar 1968 reissue finished in cherry all over (the top back sides and neck are all cherry) and it has a white old style pickguard with the old Gibson logo on it.

I will get some pictures soon, but I have a problem with my camera.

So I noticed a couple of things that surprised me. First off the end of the peghead is matte: it has finish on it but is not buffed out like the rest of the finish. At first I though whoa . . . that quality control is bad. I looked at the factory checklist and it showed the peghead had been passed by QC (as had everything else). It also does not have a 'Made in the USA stamp' on the back of the headstock. But I was certain it was totally genuine as the build quality, sound and fitting were as I would expect.

I contacted Fuller's with the serial number for verification (it did not show up in the guitar dater programme) and they confirmed it was one of theirs for certain, and that the end of the headstock was deliberately made like that as it was something they did at Gibson back in 68. Also it seems their spec did not inclde a 'Made In The USA' stamp.

So I learned something new . . . I've never seen a headstock on a Gibson with the end left matte like that. Looks a bit weird but that's all.

It's a fine sounding and striking looking acoustic, very light weight. Compares well for sound with my 2004 J-45.

I think it was a fair swap.

So...may I ask? An '07 and '04 J45; why do you have two nearly identical acoustic Gibsons?

You may ask!

The reason is that the dude was selling this J-45 and it looks really different in this finish, and I had two Les Paul standards and he was willing to do a straight trade. They all sound a bit different.

someone else on here has one of those , first time i ever seen one was his picture here

i think theyre lovely lookin guitars

congratulations!!

Thanks. Yes they do look great. There are a couple of different variations out there. One just has an all cherry top with white guard but normal hog finish on the back and sides. Some also have the adjustable bridge, but the Fuller's one has a fixed bridge.

I tried one finished in ebony with a white guard once (adj bridge) and that was also a very nice looking guitar

I contacted Fuller's with the serial number for verification (it did not show up in the guitar dater programme) and they confirmed...[/font][/font]

That dater is useless. It just uses the format for serial numbers and puts out what it "should be". It doesn't actually check a database anywhere. I wish that site would go away. People think they "verified" a fake when all they found was a fake with a serial number that fit a real Gibson scheme. I am sure your guitar is real. I am not trying to imply otherwise. I just always make sure to point out the GIANT flaw in that site any time I see it mentioned. It really causes more trouble than it helps and leads to many people being scammed.

There are a couple of different variations out there. One just has an all cherry top with white guard but normal hog finish on the back and sides. Some also have the adjustable bridge

Played one of these at my local dealer quite some time ago, complete with the adjustable bridge. I was surprised to find that it was the best sounding Gibson of those I checked out that day (at least 15 of them) — at least to my ear. That was a wonderful guitar.

That dater is useless. It just uses the format for serial numbers and puts out what it "should be". It doesn't actually check a database anywhere. I wish that site would go away. People think they "verified" a fake when all they found was a fake with a serial number that fit a real Gibson scheme. I am sure your guitar is real. I am not trying to imply otherwise. I just always make sure to point out the GIANT flaw in that site any time I see it mentioned. It really causes more trouble than it helps and leads to many people being scammed.

Fair point.

Played one of these at my local dealer quite some time ago, complete with the adjustable bridge. I was surprised to find that it was the best sounding Gibson of those I checked out that day (at least 15 of them) — at least to my ear. That was a wonderful guitar.

Yes they are great reissues. I don't know why the adjustable bridges are so disliked. My 66 J-45 has an adjustable bridge and it sounds great. It's not the loudest J-45 but still great, and a friend has a 65 ADJ that is seriously loud with amazing tone.

I have a Fuller's J50 and love it. Yep--they didn't stamp made in USA on the 60s models. So they don't on the reissues. And the matte is correct.

Congrats!

Thanks Yorick, the matte thing was new to me. I looked at it at first and though . . . WHOA . . . how did THAT get out of the factory, then after an email to Fuller's asking about it I understood. My 66 has a normal finish on the end of the peghead.

The thing is that even with the weird (to me) finish on the peghead and the lack of the 'Made In The USA' stamp there was no questioning it was a real Gibson because the build quality elsewhere and the sound and feel all said GIBSON.

They applied the pickguard with all the soundhole decal showing too on this one which is nice.

Archived