Gibson Brands Forums

The Affirmitive: Rock is Officially Dead

J.R.M.30!

Well right, music won't die, I agree with that. Especially if you look at artefacts being 30.000 years old, like that flute they found in a German cave in 2009. It is pretty clear that music is intrinsic to the human brain. Music is linked to the ability to use and process language (that's why, for example, parrots are able to nod their heads to a beat).

On anorther level though, I think the 'rock n roll is dead' phrase is somewhat true. It has lost cultural impact as has music in general. And it has a lot to do with the disintegration of the old industry structures and how music has become less valuable and turned into muzak to be listened to to soundtrack your life.

Anyway, books have been written about that stuff, really broad topic.

But if people still listen to it and people are still playing their songs and even creating new rock music then it isn't dead. The appeal of for a 16 year old to pickup the guitar and be loud is always going to be there and has been there since the 1950's thanks to rock and roll. (Also to bang as many chicks as possible...)

Rock, Metal, Blues, Country (well, "guitar music" in general) will be around forever. I doubt techno and electronic music will be around for long. This pop/hip hop/rap (or at least the commercial stuff on the radio) will die in a few years in favor of something else. The world will always have some form of pop music (albeit generic disposable pop) being played on the radio, but the rock will always be there.

I truly believe hard rock music will make a commercial comeback again, and it will rule the roost again. This world needs more guitar heroes shoved up people's noses.

The "underground" shredders, bluesers, and country pickers, as well as the bands that use simple soloing and riffs and don't come up with anything new or exciting (Buckcherry), plus those bands that sound too close to AC/DC for comfort, aren't enough.

Rock, Metal, Blues, Country (well, "guitar music" in general) will be around forever. I doubt techno and electronic music will be around for long. This pop/hip hop/rap (or at least the commercial stuff on the radio) will die in a few years in favor of something else.

You are so very wrong about everything but the first sentence. Just because you WANT it to go away, doesn't mean it will. All of that stuff is VERY popular and has been since I was a kid. It ain't going anywhere.

You are so very wrong about everything but the first sentence. Just because you WANT it to go away, doesn't mean it will. All of that stuff is VERY popular and has been since I was a kid. It ain't going anywhere.

I only meant the commercial garbage. I should have made it clearer, sorry.

Maybe if they played more good rap music on the radio, it would be better. The problem is that the rap on the radio is generic and processed, while the real good stuff is as good and heartfelt as the early days of rap before it was super commercialized.

I know that rap/hip hop will live (it's been around since the 80s), but this processed generic crap will go away in favor of a different kind of pop music.

Rap/hip hop isn't my cup o' tea, so I don't listen to it, but I have opened up my mind enough to realize that the underground stuff (as well as the fathers: DMC, Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, etc) is good despite the fact that it's not my thing. This Lil' Wayne crap on the radio shouldn't be qualified as real music, however IMHO. It's too processed to be real music.

Me saying that all rap sucks just because I heard some generic rap stuff on the radio is just absurd as someone saying that rock sucks because they heard Nickelback.

Rap didn't ruin the music scene. The music biz ruined rap, which ruined the music scene.

As far as techno and electronic music is concerned, I take back what I said. I only meant the shallow "techno" they play on the radio, sorry.

It's just not my cup o' tea, so sometimes I speak from the wrong place.

I only meant the commercial garbage. I should have made it clearer, sorry.

Maybe if they played more good rap music on the radio, it would be better. The problem is that the rap on the radio is generic and processed, while the real good stuff is as good and heartfelt as the early days of rap before it was super commercialized.

I know that rap/hip hop will live (it's been around since the 80s), but this processed generic crap will go away in favor of a different kind of pop music.

Rap/hip hop isn't my cup o' tea, so I don't listen to it, but I have opened up my mind enough to realize that the underground stuff (as well as the fathers: DMC, Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, etc) is good despite the fact that it's not my thing. This Lil' Wayne crap on the radio shouldn't be qualified as real music, however IMHO. It's too processed to be real music.

Me saying that all rap sucks just because I heard some generic rap stuff on the radio is just absurd as someone saying that rock sucks because they heard Nickelback.

Rap didn't ruin the music scene. The music biz ruined rap, which ruined the music scene.

I gave a +1 because it takes a good attitude to say something can be good although you don't like it...rock on Bro!

I thought the documentary was fine, Ive even read a few articles about it where DG said that it wasn't meant as a serious music and he was never expecting a Frickin Oscar it's made in Dave Grohls weird humorous way that he deals with life. Just look at most of their video's they make fun of everything. I don't understand how some people take movie's, books, song's, hell you name it so seriously and expect so much. I mean Damn it's just entertainment. It was kind of a poke at being a family man now instead of a young rock god. after all most of the true rock stars are in their 40's and 50's now so some things have changed. As for the end of the movie and his statement well he's only said that about 1000 times now everyone always gets series and asks him what the name meant and why he chose it? he's said over and over he liked the name and thought it would be fun for a band nobody even him expected much about of and that if he knew it would become something this big he might have put a little more thought in it.

I like David Grohl a lot and he put's on a great live show as long as bad language does't offend you because he talk's to the crowd all the way through the show and he can't say three words without one of them being Fook! so relax guy's it's only entertainment!

I thought the documentary was fine, Ive even read a few articles about it where DG said that it wasn't meant as a serious music and he was never expecting a Frickin Oscar it's made in Dave Grohls weird humorous way that he deals with life. Just look at most of their video's they make fun of everything. I don't understand how some people take movie's, books, song's, hell you name it so seriously and expect so much. I mean Damn it's just entertainment. It was kind of a poke at being a family man now instead of a young rock god. after all most of the true rock stars are in their 40's and 50's now so some things have changed. As for the end of the movie and his statement well he's only said that about 1000 times now everyone always gets series and asks him what the name meant and why he chose it? he's said over and over he liked the name and thought it would be fun for a band nobody even him expected much about of and that if he knew it would become something this big he might have put a little more thought in it.

I like David Grohl a lot and he put's on a great live show as long as bad language does't offend you because he talk's to the crowd all the way through the show and he can't say three words without one of them being Fook! so relax guy's it's only entertainment!

I keep giving plusses :)...indeed, relax, it's only rock n roll but I like it, like it...ghegge, well said.

"True rock stars are in their 40's and 50's now"... My estimates would have been much much higher! [biggrin]

Archived