Gibson Brands Forums

Kravitz on a Martin

JuanCarlosVejar

I think thats an original 60's Bird Denis, look at the outline of tje Burst, its more contoured then the outline on TV's i think.

Nah, it's a 1960s Country and Western that's had a paint-job and a new guard fitted... [flapper]

Edit: on second thoughts, it must be a bird, and it's probably to blame for inspiring those rubbish lyrics about wanting to fly into the sky, etc. Been a long time since Kravitz was any good, to my mind.

Not sure if it's a 60's bird..theres definately something printed on the TRC..

Interestingly.. EA... the TV's burst can indeed look very similar, if the lighting is in a certain manner.. I have some pics of mine where the burst looks pretty much the same. I used to think the 60's birds burst where too defined ..then after takin shots of my TV I wondered..are some of these pic's I've seen of 60's Birds ..the effect was due to the camera/ lighting..?

..but giv it a try EA

You could welll be right Del. What I have noticed about the Bird TV is that the burst colouring and intensity changes according to amount of light on it at any time of the day, quite an amazing feature and a thing of beauty.

Not sure if it's a 60's bird..theres definately something printed on the TRC..

Interestingly.. EA... the TV's burst can indeed look very similar, if the lighting is in a certain manner.. I have some pics of mine where the burst looks pretty much the same. I used to think the 60's birds burst where too defined ..then after takin shots of my TV I wondered..are some of these pic's I've seen of 60's Birds ..the effect was due to the camera/ lighting..?

..but giv it a try EA

I'll have to eat my hat if this is not an early or mid60's Hummingbird. A very good clip if you wanna understand the nature of the rosewood saddle. It softens up the sound a lot and is ideal in certain contexts. The ceramic may have been too sharp and dominant for this particular tune and set-up. The rose secure a mellow voice (obviously) – and will do fine for some all-acoustic situations too. After midnite love serenading, just to throw a casual example. . .

I'll have to eat my hat if this is not an early or mid60's Hummingbird. A very good clip if you wanna understand the nature of the rosewood saddle. It softens up the sound a lot and is ideal in certain contexts. The ceramic may have been too sharp and dominant for this particular tune and set-up. The rose secure a mellow voice (obviously) – and will do fine for some all-acoustic situations too. After midnite love serenading, just to throw a casual example. . .

The shot of the bird on the bed is at Lenny's house in the Bahamas. Funny, I just happen to be in the Bahamas at the moment.... I know where his house is, but I am on a different island....if I bump into him I'll ask what 'vintage' the 'bird is :P

Here is a clip of him playing that guitar

Cheers

bobby

The shot of the bird on the bed is at Lenny's house in the Bahamas. Funny, I just happen to be in the Bahamas at the moment.... I know where his house is, but I am on a different island....if I bump into him I'll ask what 'vintage' the 'bird is :P

Here is a clip of him playing that guitar

Cheers

bobby

Like the big news channels, this Board always has a man on the spot.

A first-hand statement from L.K. would mean a promotion for you sir. . . .

Like the big news channels, this Board always has a man on the spot.

A first-hand statement from L.K. would mean a promotion for you sir. . . .

Lol....

BTW , the vid is taken at that house, if you watch to the end of the vid you'll see him walk into that same room in the pic.

Cheers.....

I'll be sure to keep ya posted if I do se him.....

Lol....

BTW , the vid is taken at that house, if you watch to the end of the vid you'll see him walk into that same room in the pic.

Cheers.....

I'll be sure to keep ya posted if I do se him.....

A groovy shack - is he walking straight in to actually see his late mom on the telly ?

Em7 ,

just to clarify I never meant to put down CSN&Y on the other thread I was thinking Keef .

I wonder which chords Lenny is playing in that THINKING OF YOU video ? .

JC

Oouuh no offense JC -

I know you already said that 'bout Keef in the other thread, but I never put anything weighty in that exchange. It was just a little tongue in cheek for me and I thought we got it fixed.

Can't see what Kravitz is doin' - apart from some pretty snappy right hand clawing.

Best to you -

I'll have to eat my hat if this is not an early or mid60's Hummingbird.

If one of our resident Hummingbird aficionados thinks this is a 60's Bird...I will not beg to differ. I didn't even notice the saddle..shows how much I know ...and I actually thought Lenny would probably have a vintage.. was more pointing out the Birds ability to change it's hue in certain lights...as EA, your self and others have also attained to. Indeed a thing of beauty and a factor in the pricing of these instrument in my view..Along with the sound..no one does a burst/ finish to this quality like Gibson IMO.

BUT...hahah

The TRC is a bit of a mystery, no? And Lenny's Bird looks in magnificent condition for a vintage instrument.. I mean there doesnt even look to be a scratch on her..and defo no PG wear..So.. refinish ? Fantastic hardly played example...OR

a custom job made specially for Lenny with a true 60's vibe?

I'm guessing just a well looked after guitar... and his own TRC

If one of our resident Hummingbird aficionados thinks this is a 60's Bird...I will not beg to differ. I didn't even notice the saddle..shows how much I know ...and I actually thought Lenny would probably have a vintage.. was more pointing out the Birds ability to change it's hue in certain lights...as EA, your self and others have also attained to. Indeed a thing of beauty and a factor in the pricing of these instrument in my view..Along with the sound..no one does a burst/ finish to this quality like Gibson IMO.

BUT...hahah

The TRC is a bit of a mystery, no? And Lenny's Bird looks in magnificent condition for a vintage instrument.. I mean there doesnt even look to be a scratch on her..and defo no PG wear..So.. refinish ? Fantastic hardly played example...OR

I read somewhere he has a deal with Gibson and they make him some pretty neat guitars ... don't know if that includes acoustics .

JC

BUT...hahah

Em7.. Yes that is his mom on the tv.

I can see quite a bit of checking on the sides( upper bout near the neck heel ), of course as you know, the checking alone may not have anything to do with the age of the guitar. As far as pg wear, most vintage 'birds I have seen have very little pg wear.

Bobby

Em7.. Yes that is his mom on the tv.

I can see quite a bit of checking on the sides( upper bout near the neck heel ), of course as you know, the checking alone may not have anything to do with the age of the guitar. As far as pg wear, most vintage 'birds I have seen have very little pg wear.

Bobby

Good point Bobby,

although I haven't seen THAT many pic's of vintage Birds the ones I have all seem to have the PG design pretty much intact. As brought up/ speculated on many times here ..our TV guards seem to fade mighty fast.

Do not want to start the debate again..as another current thread deals with it, but I wonder...there must be a way to make some paint... illegal or not..due to modern health and safety issues... that would wear as well as these old guards.

May be a project many years down the line for myself...

Archived