Gibson Brands Forums

Got Back from a Yes Concert

Malchik

Steve Howe uses a Line 6.

Glad you had a good time.

Steve Howe's always been passionate about both the history and heritage of music and the instruments involved in the process as well as pioneering some technical innovations himself - both in the studio and in concert.

Back in the mid-'70s he took along his original Black Beauty LP Custom to meet - and show it to - Les Paul.

Les, himself no stranger to technological tinkering, was absolutely delighted to see that Steve had doctored and modified the instrument so that it now sported four PAF's and had been fitted with a peculiar wiring system that enabled each p-up to output an individual signal to the mixer allowing the guitar to broadcast different sounds to the four corners of the concert halls they were playing using the quadrophonic sound system Yes were then using. The mixer could further adjust each signal to give some unusual effects...

I'm not really surprised he found the Line 6 an interesting, and very adaptable, bit of kit.

P.

I think Close To The Edge should be required listening, I suggest once a week or so since...well, when it came out.

Steve Howe can use any amps he wants, long as he sounds like Steve Howe I guess.

Chris Squier has arranged some of the best music ever recorded.

Except for Roundabout, I've never played Yes in a band, never learned a Yes song.

rct

I think Close To The Edge should be required listening, I suggest once a week or so since...well, when it came out.

Steve Howe can use any amps he wants, long as he sounds like Steve Howe I guess.

Chris Squier has arranged some of the best music ever recorded.

Except for Roundabout, I've never played Yes in a band, never learned a Yes song.

rct

I'd go along with that, rct.

'CTtE' was the first 'new' album released by the band after I was introduced to their music and it, along with 'Tales From Topographic Oceans', is still my favourite. It took me a long while to even begin to understand 'Tales...' when it appeared. Mind you; I was only about 13 at the time.

I started to go off them after Rick Wakeman left the band (around 'Relayer' if my memory serves) for the first time. He came back for 'Going For the One' - which is when I saw them on tour ('77) - but things went even further downhill (IMHO) with Tormato.

After this time the only album I listened to was 'Drama' but I never found them as appealing as they had been pre circa '76.

Still, they've written a very interesting chapter in the story of music; that's for sure.

P.

Pretty much same story here Pippy. I've only been a casual listener since GFt1, and Tormato was a newer, more differently pop shaped Yes, so I sorta passed on that stuff and since.

But Close To The Edge remains, to me, a masterpiece of modern recorded music, I just never tire of it's pompous bombastics and the awesomeness of the arranging of the parts. And the arranger/bass player isfu cking stupid good.

rct

I imagine it was pretty awesome. I saw the Tormato tour when they came to our small city back in 1979. Anderson, Howe, Squire,White and Wakeman. They had the revolving stage and at the time I couldn't get my head around how they kept all the power cords from winding up..lol. I was like 17. They blew me away and are to date one of the best concerts I have ever seen... and I have seen alot. I have pretty much filled my bucket list except for Jimi. He died when I was 9 so I wasn't doing many concerts at that time. lol.

I've seen YES 4 times. Once with Rick Wakeman, once with Patrick Moraz, once with Rick Wakeman again on the rotating stage, and once with the weird singer that replaced Jon Anderson. Can't remember his name, but he sounded similar to Jon, but not as good IMO, and wore those stupid big frame glasses. Just as well that I had to leave that concert early because my friend got sick on the girl in front of us. Very embarrassing, so we got the heck out of there.

Steve Howe through a Line 6 doesn't seem right. I've always seen him play through Fender amps.

I saw an interview with Steve Howe where he was talking about using Line 6 products. He's used a Variax 700 modelling guitar for a few years now and was talking about using the HD500 floor board, basically he said he'd given it to his guitar tech to program all his pedal sounds into and that is what he is using now.

Whatever he uses he's a phenominal player with a totally unique style!

...and once with the weird singer that replaced Jon Anderson. Can't remember his name, but he sounded similar to Jon, but not as good IMO, and wore those stupid big frame glasses...

Trevor Horn.

He, along with Geoff Downes (who was to replace Rick Wakeman on keyboards) had formed the group 'The Buggles' and had a massive hit with 'Video Killed the Radio Star'.

When the duo joined the band die-hard fans referred to the new group, disparagingly, as 'The Yuggles'. Most of the 'old brigade' (AFAIK) didn't like the new, more 'Pop', direction in which the group were heading.

I've seen a 3 1/2 hour documentary on Yes and, to be fair, Trevor Horn thought he was auditioning as the group's new producer - not their vocalist - so he was as surprised as everyone else when he was asked to take over singing duties from Jon Anderson. Later on this 'abberation' was corrected when Anderson re-joined and Horn did, indeed, become their producer.

Geoff Downes was well-liked. I'm pretty certain he was asked to perform keyboard duties on Steve Howe's solo album 'Beginnings'. I'll check later. Incidentally, touching on something I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm also pretty sure the 4-pup LP Custom is pictured on that album's cover. I have it on vinyl somewhere. If I can find it I'll post a snap!

In retrospect it must be said that the eighties was probably the most successful decade, sales wise, in the group's history - "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is by far their biggest hit single - so their new audience obviously approved! Trevor Rabin, who replaced Howe, was responsible for much of the output at this time.

P.

EDIT : I had a brain-fart as regards the keyboard player on 'Beginnings'. It was another one-time Yes man, Partick Moraz. #-o

Here's the snap of Howe with a few of his favourites from the cover of 'Beginnings'.

Lo-resIMG_3598.jpg

He's holding his long-time favourite; his '59 (I think) ES-175. This is the guitar he said he'd grab if his house was on fire...

At the right is the Les Paul I mentioned in my earlier post. Four p-ups and, seemingly, no selector switch! Apparently the p-up ring was the hardest thing to fabricate.

You'll notice the TRC is reversed; he got Les Paul to autograph it when he met up with him to show him the LP. In an act of blatant plagiarism (and by happy circumstance) I managed to get Steve Howe to do the same on the TRC of my first ever electric; a mid-'70s Gold-Top copy;

SteveHoweTRCmed.jpg

P.

I saw Steve Howe with Asia... Pretty good by all acounts..

I heard a story that he once toured with Asia and Yes on the same bill and played in both bands for the tour... Now thats dedication ! :)

Heres a clip I took when I saw them (sorry to sidetrack a bit, but this thead seemed to be quite Steve orientated, and that does kinda look like a Line 6 in my vid :o)

Archived