Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone wired the Nighthawk Humbuckers together

glennc

You could always add an extra switch to put the neck mini bucker into play the whole time, a bit like the David gilmour strat type switch. On the strat it would give you the extra position of neck + bridge and neck + middle + bridge.

I used to have a carvin guitar that instead of a 3 or 5 way selector switch, it had an on/off mini toggle for each pickup. I also had a patrick eggle guitar that used a rotary switch instead of a lever or toggle, there was about 7 different tonal options wired into it from just 2 humbuckers.

you could use a push pull on one of the pots to engage the neck pickup while the bridge is selected on the five way lever..

You could always add an extra switch to put the neck mini bucker into play the whole time, a bit like the David gilmour strat type switch. On the strat it would give you the extra position of neck + bridge and neck + middle + bridge.

Howdy Pete B,

This is sounding complicated. Was just wondering how the two humbuckers would sound. Got a few mods, before I get that deep into the works. Seems like the saddles are considered a big help and the bridge pickup. Problem is how it is going to sound in my guitar in my house through my amp. Well something to think about. I really haven't explored the sounds it has fully. Thanks for the ideas though!

Glenn

I used to have a carvin guitar that instead of a 3 or 5 way selector switch, it had an on/off mini toggle for each pickup. I also had a patrick eggle guitar that used a rotary switch instead of a lever or toggle, there was about 7 different tonal options wired into it from just 2 humbuckers.

you could use a push pull on one of the pots to engage the neck pickup while the bridge is selected on the five way lever..

Thanks for the reply bigneil. The rotary switch would make it more simple, like Lucille. But I don't know if I want to mod it that far. Like I said, gotta start slow. Appreciate your experience and ideas!

Glenn

Change the 5-way to a 3-way to switch Neck & Bridge, use the push=pull pot to add the middle single coil, but you lose single coil only or have it switch to only single coil.

Hello telemike,

Yes this is above my head and desire at the moment. I like the single coils combinations. Heck I am going to get a better IMHO bridge pickup and saddles. That will keep me busy for a while. With the limited options, of course I am assuming the Seymour Duncan 59 Slant would be the closest to a Gibson 57 Classic pickup. Is this accurate? No one has mentioned changing the cap to PIO or a different value. It appears initially that this is not considered a requirement for tone. Thanks!

Glenn

Hello; I like what your suggesting and found the wiring diagram for the David Gilmore Strat. But it of course is wired for all single coils. post-44102-048436900 1342208316_thumb.png Do you have something that will work for the humbuckers with 4 wires? I'm not really smart enough to figure it out by myself. Thanks....

Archived