Gibson Brands Forums

southern jumbo "modern classic" 2012

LEDREW

hey there gang!

a few months ago i made myself quite a happy man when i bought this brand spankin' gibson southern jumbo...i picked it up and started playin and i just knew i had to have it, could almost feel the thing breathing!!! i am absolutely in love with the thing, can barely take my hands off of it haha...i imagine this topic has come up 100+ times already, but why in the **** have gibson discontinued this beast? funny they seem to have no info on it anywhere on the site. here is the guit and the store i bought it from here in canada

has gibson ever said why they stopped?

has gibson ever said why they stopped?

They haven't: any dealer who wants one can order one. They've just taken them off the current list of standard production models, and the reason for that is the same as it always is: not many were being ordered. Dealer orders determine what Gibson Acoustic builds, not the other way around.

-- Bob R

Give it another year or two and Gibson will put them back in production for a while. This is part of "the Gibson Mystique."...lol...Seriously, it is. You don't really know what they will do and when they will do it. I think that is part of their marketing strategy. It contributes to assuring that Gibsons are different. Personally, I like it. There is very little redundancy in Gibsons. They don't run-off hundreds and hundreds of the same guitar at one time, and you don't get hundred and hundreds of Gibsons that are virtually clones of each other. Personally, that's one of the things that draws me to Gibson. I like Martins. Good guitars. But, good Lord, look at 30 of them hanging on a wall and they all look the same. Not talking about the sound. Martin is still making lots of cannons. All of the other guitar makers build guitars that look like "guitars." Gibson builds guitars that look like Gibsons. For me, I can see the difference..........Just my opinion. It doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong.

Archived