Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk Pickups?

telemike

I tried to pull the cover off the stock pickup but when i got it partly off it seemed to be clear bobbins and it appeared it was all held together with wax and the cover. As tho the coils were not mounted normally but just floating in wax inside the cover. Hard to explain, but not like it was going to work. So i pressed the cover back on and got a dimarzio which i removed the cover on and it's black and the guitar looks much better that way because they all match now. However, i did NOT remove it for that reason. I tried 2 minis and they all sounded too dark and i figured it was the covers. I thought not being magnetic they shouldn't affect the tone, but i asked elsewhere and several people reported big changed removing covers that weren't magnetic on other pickups. On even said a PLASTIC cover made a difference. Sure enough the pickup sounds much clearer this way. here is a pic. Note i also have a dimarzio super distortion in it. I took the coils off a super D and screwed them onto the plate from the stock pickup. This method will allow you to use most pickups in the hawks bridge, and the 4 screw holes that mount the coils to the plate in most HB's seem to be standardized so most should fit.

EDIT: by the way, if anyone wants to try mounting a regular HB to the stock slanted plate, make sure you use a fender spaced pickup. Dimarzio calls it "F spaced" and i think seymour calls it "trembucker" or "trem spaced". It just means the poles are spaced for fender string spread which is a bit wider than gibson. If you use a gibsom spaced pickup the poles will not line up under the strings correctly.

hawk.jpg

Also looks like rosewood fretboard.

yep, thats what i keep saying but no one seems to want to believe it comes in both. Or at least CAME in both. Maybe now it's only ebony because thats all i've seen lately. But they have made both. If anyone thinks that seems odd, consider this....forever fender has built models that they spec with a certain wood but use whatever is available at the time. So you will find millions of models that say alder yet have ash or any other wood scenario. This is ULTRA common on low line guitars and even on some mid line, or at least low/mid.

Hello Hawk fanatic. Sometimes I don't read the posts carefully enough to absorb all the information that I'm looking for. So for that slant NHT you managed to work a Dimarzio Humbucker into the slant design and I hand it to you for your workmanship. I have noticed that just one particular pickup manufacturer has been offering 2 'drop-in' pickups that would easily fit in to that slight slant frame. I have to hand it to you for exploring "bending and forming a quality humbucking p'up into a "wedge that fits well into the slant frame. Rednefceleb.

Hello Hawk fanatic. Sometimes I don't read the posts carefully enough to absorb all the information that I'm looking for. So for that slant NHT you managed to work a Dimarzio Humbucker into the slant design and I hand it to you for your workmanship. I have noticed that just one particular pickup manufacturer has been offering 2 'drop-in' pickups that would easily fit in to that slight slant frame. I have to hand it to you for exploring "bending and forming a quality humbucking p'up into a "wedge that fits well into the slant frame. Rednefceleb.

It's simple enough to do, and most any F spaced pickup can be fit to the slanted plate. The available ones you speak of are duncan, and i would prefer the stock pickup over those. One is the slant version of a duncan 59', which i took a chance and tried and i hated it. (traded it back to duncan on thier 20 day exchange policy) The other is a slanted JB, but i don't like JB's either so i didn't bother trying that. So my only option left was to do what i did, and i had a spare super distortion which is my fav humbucker so it made sense to go that route. It was white too so i painted the coils.

I must admit i have been starting to think i want to replace the middle after all, so i may hit up benson and have a custom wound one made.

Beautiful job Hawk! Thanks for the tip on only using Fender Spacing so all's well. I'm reading more and more about guys who fit other p'ups in the slant. I am gonna have the middle space opened up to drop in a soapbar pickup. About 9.0 D.C. A quality mini @ the neck and two red Fender Lace Sensors in the slant. Should be a one of a kind configuration.

Archived