Gibson Brands Forums

old tv in honor of fenderguy1

retrosurfer1959

Being a artist full time is not only a dream come true but it put's me in contact with a lot of other artist's. We recently did a tour where you opened your studio and local artist and even art fans could come through during certain hours and see your studio and how you work in it. I was on the tour a few months back and I met a quirky artist lady that fell in love with my studio and all the quirky (her word) stuff that fills it. So yesterday I come home and there's a box on my porch with a note on the box from this artist saying she found this and thought of me instantly so I carefully opened it and inside was a old tv from 1970 and it's actually very cool. I thought of fender guy dumpster diving for old tv's and laughed at myself but this one I hooked up works great connected to a cable box and is really cool and I'm actually enjoying having it in the studio I usually leave it on the sic fi channel watching old corny sic-fi movies or just watch HGTV in the background but here it is the panasonic Eye TV or Sputnik TV so fender guy I guess I understand your addiction at least fort this one tv. I forgot how cool some shows look in black and white especially old reruns I was watching Archie Bunker on it and I felt like I was in grade school again. I have it hooked up with a old 2008 i think digital to analog box I got from my cable company I guess if that ever breaks I'll be out of luck but for now it works and looks pretty cool.

http---imagesvandmbiz-content-images-2000x2000-DSCN1685.jpg

Thanks, yeah I don't watch TV either maybe a hour or two a week usually the news or a movie on HBO thas about it. But honestly this is not a tv for people that want to watch tv, it's a 1970 Analog black and white unit with about a six inch picture if that. the whole thing is only 13-14 across but really cool when I first saw it I thought it was a radio! luckily I had a digital to analog box that the cable channels sold in 2008 or whenever it was when the channels started to change to digital only, or it wouldn't even work. it's kind of fun but honestly I had no idea how freaking collectable it was until i tried to do some research on it. This little sucker is worth anywhere from 400 up to almost 1000 depending on condition and this one looks brand new. I'd feel guilty and probably try to return it if I even knew who the lady was, I don't even know her last name or where she lives or anything. I always thought fenderguy1 was basically crazy for searching for these old tv's. But if there worth this much maybe there's a method to his madness after all

Told ya old TVs are worth alot, especially Black And White consoles, i have 2 black and white portable tellies, they are in the drawer they still work :)

It's not 'alot', it's 'a lot'. Plus if you're talking of yourself it's always a capital 'I' not 'i'. English lesson over.

It's not 'alot', it's 'a lot'. Plus if you're talking of yourself it's always a capital 'I' not 'i'. English lesson over.

Stupid comment tbh. in my case, I am from Belgium so Englisch is not my native language and I am not the smartest guy on earth, but I do have my honor...a comment like that would stop me from posting with a free feeling. I would not stop but I would feel a kind of shame, I understood what was written...it is an intnational forum, for all ages and all classes of sociaty and all grades of smartness...this dumb Belgian member would give you a minus 1 if that was possible.

but, for what I know...if you write i or I it is alway' about your self...correct is indeed capital i but how can you write i and talk about someone else then?

Anyway...nice TV

So. If No one says anything and lets the grammar fail. Where do we end up? I even watch the BBC and hear mistakes. One of the most common is 'bought' used instead of 'brought', as in 'I've bought one in to show you'. I honestly think America has better grammar than the UK now. I see people writing 'fink' instead of 'think' etc. It has to be put right. Just a look on Facebook makes me cringe with how poor our children's grammar is. I'm not a pedant, but someone has to say something.

Guest farnsbarns

So. If No one says anything and lets the grammar fail. Where do we end up? I even watch the BBC and hear mistakes. One of the most common is 'bought' used instead of 'brought', as in 'I've bought one in to show you'. I honestly think America has better grammar than the UK now. I see people writing 'fink' instead of 'think' etc. It has to be put right. Just a look on Facebook makes me cringe with how poor our children's grammar is. I'm not a pedant, but someone has to say something.

If you must correct others' grammar you'd best get your own in order first though. Just saying :P

If you think it is your job to learn people better grammar...nice quest. But maybe it is better to use a private message and mention that you don't have the attention to offend.

But that is just my thought, I take my hands of the discusion now. No hard feelings, I just wanted to ventilate how I felt when I saw a grammar correction in public on a international forum.

FWIW, one of my most common typos (or is it typo's? [wink] ) is somehow missing hitting the shift key when I type "i" in the first person sense.

That said, I seriously doubt grammar in the US is better than the UK. A VERY big Country in comparison, and you'd be amazed at how it suffers here. But then, FG1 is in Oz, so I guess it's really more a world wide epidemic. Probably usually best to let it slide though, as we all make mistakes from time to time (let he who has not sinned, etc. etc.). And a comment like you made can often turn around and bite you in the butt.

I do understand where you're coming from though, even though I lack knowledge of some proper turns of the "King's English", I still have my own pet peeves (etcetera being pronounced "excetera" for example, people saying "you just can't..." when what they mean is "you can't just..." {yes, there is a difference in meaning}. Or, and obscure "within the hour" when they mean "within an hour" {could be the same thing, or drastically different, depending on what time it is- within the hour means before the next full hour, ie: if it's 4:20, it'll be by 5:00, same as if it's 4:45).

Ah, the little things that bug us. Then again, I recall at least one US President who used to say "Nucular" (one of my biggest pet peeves yet, and I work in nuclear power plants at times, even top management sometimes has nuclear wrong!).

Okay, back to TVs! Retro, very cool, and a nice gift! FG1, you need to collect a few more, then sell them off for that Marshall Stack you've been wanting [thumbup] .

If you think it is your job to learn people better grammar...nice quest. But maybe it is better to use a private message and mention that you don't have the attention to offend...I just wanted to ventilate how I felt when I saw a grammar correction in public on a international forum.

Well said, Elmer.

Cheers,

Archived