Gibson Brands Forums

Website Help?

JDK

I have a website, and I do like to checkout the stats, not that I do anything with the info. A few months ago someone in Japan signed up as a member, and although they have never logged back in, the same IP address accesses the site multiple times a day. Often it is within a range of the same hours, almost like it is automatically set up to go to the site. The IP address never goes to another page...it goes to the home page and quickly exits.

The other day, there were significantly more visitors to the site for whatever reason, and this mysterious Japanese IP address seemed to have to visit the site more than it usually does to match the number of other visitors. I found it odd to say the least. Then after that high volume day, it was back to the regular visits.

Although it seems that nothing is too too fishy here, it is sort of annoying to me at this point. Is there anyway to block an IP address from visiting your site? I'm not too computer savvy, but I can get around. I googled it and found something about "htaccess or htdocs" or something, but it means nothing to me. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Guest farnsbarns

I have a website, and I do like to checkout the stats, not that I do anything with the info. A few months ago someone in Japan signed up as a member, and although they have never logged back in, the same IP address accesses the site multiple times a day. Often it is within a range of the same hours, almost like it is automatically set up to go to the site. The IP address never goes to another page...it goes to the home page and quickly exits.

The other day, there were significantly more visitors to the site for whatever reason, and this mysterious Japanese IP address seemed to have to visit the site more than it usually does to match the number of other visitors. I found it odd to say the least. Then after that high volume day, it was back to the regular visits.

Although it seems that nothing is too too fishy here, it is sort of annoying to me at this point. Is there anyway to block an IP address from visiting your site? I'm not too computer savvy, but I can get around. I googled it and found something about "htaccess or htdocs" or something, but it means nothing to me. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Pm me the ip and your email address I'll send you a file you can place in your website root that'll block the ip. I'll need to know if your website is on a linux server, or windows. It's probably linux, in which case the file will be called .htaccess (dot at the beginning). If you already have a file called .htaccess in your website root I'll need the current contents of that file, you can open it in a text editor (wordpad).

Archived