Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul help

freddyfingers

Hi all. I recently was introduced to the world known as Gibson Sg's. For years I didn't touch them, necks were to chunky. But I luckily discovered the 61 reissue sg, both in gloss and satin, and played the pete townsend 50th anniversary, which I am trying to acquire., Anyway, I like them all cause the necks work for me, and of course, they sound great. So, my question is, which Les Paul models would you guys recommend that have the same, slimmer neck like the 61 reissue sg's. If there was one out there, I would probably go for that before the 61 reissue. I like both the 57 hum buckers and P90's

Thanks!!

Hi all. I recently was introduced to the world known as Gibson Sg's. For years I didn't touch them, necks were to chunky. But I luckily discovered the 61 reissue sg, both in gloss and satin, and played the pete townsend 50th anniversary, which I am trying to acquire., Anyway, I like them all cause the necks work for me, and of course, they sound great. So, my question is, which Les Paul models would you guys recommend that have the same, slimmer neck like the 61 reissue sg's. If there was one out there, I would probably go for that before the 61 reissue. I like both the 57 hum buckers and P90's

Thanks!!

Hello there and welcome to the fine world of Gibson :)

I also am a massive fan of the 60s necks.. I started on a 93 Studio that had a chunky neck.. But when I went to get a Standard level I was shocked when I didnt really like the neck.. So the guy suggested a LP Classic that has a 60s neck and wow, I have never looked back.

If you want the cheaper end then theres the LP 60s Tributes they are great guitars... Also the new Studios have 60s necks now.. If you want a Standard level then theres the 2008 that has an assmetrical neck (very similar to 60s). The LP Traditionals also come with 60s neck (and you can get a satin one too) and they have 57s.

So basically, lots of choices there (and theres more than that)... The best advice as always is to try as many as you can.. Even the same models with the same type of necks can be slightly different as they are hand finished so no two are exactly the same.

One last thing is if you can find one, these Classic Customs are GREAT.. such a good price and from what I have heard they are one of the best deals you will find (if you can find one :))

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Custom.aspx

Good luck in your search :) [thumbup]

Thanks!!

The Les Paul Special is a great player...with P90s. You have the choice of single or double cutaway, and the double gives free access to every fret.

Cheers,

Hello Freddyfingers! I can only highly recommend the Classic Custom. They are selling very well, so don't skip the chance of owning a future collector's item. It has what You are looking for: nice thin 60's Slim Taper neck. Sounds great! Quality is above expectations! (Get the Antique Natural - seems to be rarest color). [thumbup] Cheers... Bence

...my question is, which Les Paul models would you guys recommend that have the same, slimmer neck like the 61 reissue sg's?....

Custom Shop '60 re-issue.

There is absolutely nothing currently offered (IMHO) which is better on just about every level you could mention.

P.

Custom Shop '60 re-issue.

There is absolutely nothing currently offered (IMHO) which is better on just about every level you could mention.

P.

The 2012 Standard has a 60's neck but it is asymetrical. That means it is a bit thicker on the bass side than the thinner strings. It is also a compound radius from 10 " to 16" as you move up the neck. That translates into easy cowboy chords and fast lead playing up the neck. Try one out and see if it works for you. IMHO it is the best neck profile Gibson has ever offered.

Archived