Gibson Brands Forums

The New Gibson Les Paul Standard

Jaco

I was rereading this thread when I came accross your comment about the bypass feature on the bridge pckups tone control. It bypasses all other settings and none of the other pots are functioning when it is engaged. I also do not see anywhere on Gibsons web site that would suggest otherwise. If it is can you please point it out to me.

Just to make sure I was not losing my mind I just tested it and when the bridge pickups tone pot is engaged (pulled out) no change to any other pot effects it. You can pull the volume knob out and it is exactly the same ie no change to the volume or tone. You can turn the volume all the way off and again no change. Pull the bridge volume and again no change.If yours does change than you need to have it looked at as it is not working properly.

Please check again carefully and listen closely. If the tone pot switch is a DPDT, then the coil split fails to work without bypass, too, or it has to work also in bypass mode. Otherwise, it would have to be a TPDT switch.

Please refer to the 3rd period of http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx and note the words in brackets; I quote here: "Finally, the bridge pickup’s tone control offers Gibson’s new Pure Bypass setting, providing a preset “lead mode” that routes the bridge pickup straight to the output jack at full output and brightness—bypassing the volume and tone controls entirely—for instant snarl and wail when you need it (in either humbucking or single-coil mode)."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please check again carefully and listen closely. If the tone pot switch is a DPDT, then the coil split fails to work without bypass, too, or it has to work also in bypass mode. Otherwise, it would have to be a TPDT switch.

Please refer to the 3rd period of http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx and note the words in brackets; I quote here: "Finally, the bridge pickup’s tone control offers Gibson’s new Pure Bypass setting, providing a preset “lead mode” that routes the bridge pickup straight to the output jack at full output and brightness—bypassing the volume and tone controls entirely—for instant snarl and wail when you need it (in either humbucking or single-coil mode)."

We must be miscommunicating for some reason. I I engage the bridge pick ups tone control. (i.e.) I pull it out there is nothing I can do to any other tone or volume pot or pickup selector position that will change the tone in any way. By pulling out the bridgr tone control the entire wiring is bypassed and the bridge pick up is directly routed to the output jack. No Volume change phase or single double coil setting will work.

Pretty simple and I have tested it myself. If yours does not do this than there is something wrong with your guitar.

Your quote from the Gibson site supports what I have just said.

"Gibson’s new Pure Bypass setting, providing a preset “lead mode” that routes the bridge pickup straight to the output jack at full output and brightness—bypassing the volume and tone controls entirely—for instant snarl and wail when you need it (in either humbucking or single-coil mode)."

So no matter what mode your guitar is set in when you pull the bridge tone control you get pure bypass and any other setting is bypassed.

Hope you can understand this.

Dear CowboyBillyBob1,

on my guitar and on five other Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus guitars which were made in April, 2012 I checked out with my own hands and my own ears, the volume and tone pots are bypassed by the bridge PU bypass switch when pulled, but NOT the SWITCH in the bridge PU VOLUME control. This is definite reality. What reason should I have to tell you anything but the truth?

Perhaps Gibson changed the circuitry without notice, and your guitar is equipped with a TPDT or even a QPDT switch in a special request push/pull pot in your bridge PU tone control. If your guitar has a DPDT switch on its bridge PU tone control, please check if coil split works without bypass. If this is the case, then your bridge PU is in an otherwise not accessible TRUE SINGLE COIL MODE when in True Bypass mode. It's just applied electrical engineering. Magic or snake oil won't help to compensate for a missing pole in a switch.

OK, the quoted lines from the Gibson website may be misconceivable. We have the same problems in German grammar, too when relations between parts of a sentence are ambiguous as within the brackets appearing in the quoted lines, although this happens more rarely since all subjects, even things, in German have a defined male, female, or neutral gender in grammar. This is the case in most languages around our trusty Mother Earth.

Be sure that the staff at Thomann's which is Europe's biggest musical instruments dealer knew what they told me. I talked to several people there who regularly attend service workshops at Gibson sites in USA.

By the way, I use QPDT switches in guitar mods for myself, but of course as mini toggle switches since they aren't available in push/pull pots as far as I know. At least I didn't find one up to now.

Sorry, I can't help but stay with telling the truth, and this is not meant as an offense in any way or respect.

With best regards,

capmaster

Dear CowboyBillyBob1,

on my guitar and on five other Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus guitars which were made in April, 2012 I checked out with my own hands and my own ears, the volume and tone pots are bypassed by the bridge PU bypass switch when pulled, but NOT the SWITCH in the bridge PU VOLUME control. This is definite reality. What reason should I have to tell you anything but the truth?

English must be a second language for you because you do not understand what I have stated in a simple and concise manner.

You speak of "the volume and tone pots are bypassed by the bridge PU bypass switch when pulled, but NOT the SWITCH in the bridge PU VOLUME control. This is definite reality. What reason should I have to tell you anything but the truth?"

What do you mean by the "bridge PU bypass switch" That is the bridge PU tone control. Not a seperate switch. When this is engaged none of the other tone or volume control settings are functional. Plain and simple.If you don't understand this there is nothing I can do to enlighten you. Don't mislead the original poster because you are poor at explaining things.

The Bridge pick up volume control (rotating it or pulling it out will do nothing if the bridge PU tone control is bulled out or bypassed.

I am done here.

English must be a second language for you because you do not understand what I have stated in a simple and concise manner.

The Bridge pick up volume control (rotating it or pulling it out will do nothing if the bridge PU tone control is bulled out or bypassed.

I am done here.

English is a second language for me. Nevertheless I understood very well that your assertions fail to match the behaviour of six Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus I got to know by myself. On these instruments, the bridge pu bypass switch is the push/pull switch in the bridge pu tone control, not a separate switch if I might have stated this misconceivably. Their bridge pu coil split switch is in the bridge pu volume control and will stay effective when the bridge pu tone control switch is pulled for bypassing pots and toggle switch.

There seems nothing left fpr you than to admit that I may know my Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus Honey Burst # 1093320561, the Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus Translucent Amber # 111620625 which I returned due to workmanship problems with nut, frets and fretboard binding, and additional four other Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus better than you. I hope I was able to point it out here so that you may be able to understand its sense as this is still the bare truth. At least I hope so if you have any interest in truth, facts, reality, or whatever you like to call things in your first language which are objectively provable. I don't understand why you try to make people owning properly working instruments unsure by spreading rumours about alleged malfunctions.

Please keep us informed when your instrument is back from the repair it obviously is in need of. It should be covered by the Gibson warranty. Perhaps your own instrument will enlighten you after being set in proper operating condition.

English is a second language for me. Nevertheless I understood very well that your assertions fail to match the behaviour of six Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus I got to know by myself. On these instruments, the bridge pu bypass switch is the push/pull switch in the bridge pu tone control, not a separate switch if I might have stated this misconceivably. Their bridge pu coil split switch is in the bridge pu volume control and will stay effective when the bridge pu tone control switch is pulled for bypassing pots and toggle switch.

There seems nothing left fpr you than to admit that I may know my Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus Honey Burst # 1093320561, the Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus Translucent Amber # 111620625 which I returned due to workmanship problems with nut, frets and fretboard binding, and additional four other Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus better than you. I hope I was able to point it out here so that you may be able to understand its sense as this is still the bare truth. At least I hope so if you have any interest in truth, facts, reality, or whatever you like to call things in your first language which are objectively provable. I don't understand why you try to make people owning properly working instruments unsure by spreading rumours about alleged malfunctions.

Please keep us informed when your instrument is back from the repair it obviously is in need of. It should be covered by the Gibson warranty. Perhaps your own instrument will enlighten you after being set in proper operating condition.

My 2012 LP Standard works as advertized. Give this a look over to see how you are wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtvEHKQDMfE

Sadly, my network connection doesn't provide the bandwidth for listening to audio or viewing videos.

On the other hand, a review on musicradar.com points out that the pure bypass option seems to provide too much treble. This could mean that some instruments inadvertently were connected to switch their bridge pickup via bypass to true single coil operation only. Perhaps their test guitar, yours, and those at the Frankfurter Musikmesse are among them.

To exclude any goof in workmanship, I thoroughly inspected the PCB of my guitar. Everything is connected to provide exactly what I described for at least six of these guitars, and there is no other possible way to solder the given wires to the given contacts of the given components without causing trouble in other selected positions. Perhaps the demo instruments and your own guitar are pre-serial ones without or with another PCB. Please check for that. The PCB in my guitar bears the writing E-B 94V-0 08 12.

Sadly, my network connection doesn't provide the bandwidth for listening to audio or viewing videos.

On the other hand, a review on musicradar.com points out that the pure bypass option seems to provide too much treble. This could mean that some instruments inadvertently were connected to switch their bridge pickup via bypass to true single coil operation only. Perhaps their test guitar, yours, and those at the Frankfurter Musikmesse are among them.

Tone controls on a passive pickup like the Burstbucker Pro only take away treble by turning them down. It stands to reason if you are bypasing all tone control circutry that it would be even more trebly than with the tone control in the path. It is not single coil with the bypass switch engaged.

If your 2012 LP Standard does not operate this way than it is defective in some way. I don't care how many you own and what you percieve as the truth you are just uninformed, tone deaf, or both.

To exclude any goof in workmanship, I thoroughly inspected the PCB of my guitar. Everything is connected to provide exactly what I described for at least six of these guitars, and there is no other possible way to solder the given wires to the given contacts of the given componenents without causing trouble in other selected positions. Perhaps the demo instruments and your own guitar are pre-serial ones without or with another PCB. Please check for that. The PCB in my guitar bears the writing E-B 094V 08 12.

It's unfortunate that you cannot view the guy from Gibson explain how you are wrong.

I own one, and know five more guitars of the related model. So I think that Gibson should claim officially that lots of guitars are operating like mine, and a few rare ones like yours and the demo guitars do perform differently. Be glad - perhaps the value of your rare one will rise dramatically. I wonder if or when Gibson would like to admit that.

I own one, and know five more guitars of the related model. So I think that Gibson should claim officially that lots of guitars are operating like mine, and a few rare ones like yours and the demo guitars do perform differently. Be glad - perhaps the value of your rare one will rise dramatically. I wonder if or when Gibson would like to admit that.

I think you are not working it properly or can't hear or imagine hearing something that is not there. Do you have the ability to post avideo or audio or know of one that demonstrates what you are talking about.

I suggest a change is needed.

From this point on capmaster and CowboyBillyBob1 should now conduct their exchanges in German exclusively. No Amer-English allowed.

That should make things much clearer for both parties.

P.

Vielen Dank für Ihre excelent diplomatischen Sachkenntnisse. Wenn nur Sie unseren disagrement auflösen können, würde die Welt ein Beter-Platz sein.

Leider habe ich nicht die Gitarre in Frage. Es tut mir leid, dass ich nicht mehr helfen.

[sad]

P.

Vielen Dank für Ihre excelent diplomatischen Sachkenntnisse. Wenn nur Sie unseren disagrement auflösen können, würde die Welt ein Beter-Platz sein.

"Beter-Platz" oder Besser Platz? Das ist nicht egal! :) Mit freundlichen Grüßen... Bence

It's unfortunate that you cannot view the guy from Gibson explain how you are wrong.

As the original poster to this query, let me step back in.

The Gibson guy never mentioned that Bypass would override push/pull on Bridge volume. However, the Captain did say everything (including push/pull) would be overridden. I didn't finish the Anderton's video to see if they demo'd it. However, I think it's fair to say, judging from my experience and that of others that perhaps at some point this year Gibson has changed the wiring. I honestly wish I could post a video of my god-awful playing to demo the wiring (I doubt a webcam video would be worth posting). I'm not imagining it; there's a discernible difference when Bypassing and the Bridge Volume knob is either ON/OFF.

Archived