Gibson Brands Forums

Feeling the need for a V

dc3c46

Been eying the V Faded lately,

price is great and with some mods should be a great guitar.

I don't play metal but dig Albert King and Wishbone Ash.

My idea is getting a different pickguard (black or ivory,

gold hardware and knobs and change the pickups, perhaps

Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday ones.

Anyone with experience of different pickups in a V ??

Not in a V but very subjectively, I put 57 Classics in a couple explorers I have and I thought they improved the sound immensely. I have a reverse V with the same pups, but only having the one volume knob, it probably sounds slightly different. Little less fine control over the tone, but still, it sounds fantastic to me.

You might say I have a V or two and have had everything from Classic/C+, Bare Knuckle, SD, and EMGs. Application and tuning all play a vital part. That said, here is one I did as a KISS single pickup, which actually ended up being way more complex than a H-H with 3 way:

2012-05-22_13-06-45_5.jpg

This is a Single SD P-rail with Gibson 500K Push/Pulls.

Vol Down/Tone Down = Warm output Humbucker

Vol Up/Tone Down = P90

Vol Down/Tone Up = Single Coil

Vol Up/Tone Up = Humbucker out of phase

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally a Flying V owner again, after not owning one since sometime in the 90's. I bought a Grace Potter Flying V last Friday. I've been playing Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocasters exclusively for live work, but am definitely going to use the GP Flying V when my band plays shows. Hopefully, the V won't clash with our alt country/alt rock vibe.

I'm finally a Flying V owner again, after not owning one since sometime in the 90's. I bought a Grace Potter Flying V last Friday. I've been playing Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocasters exclusively for live work, but am definitely going to use the GP Flying V when my band plays shows. Hopefully, the V won't clash with our alt country/alt rock vibe.

I have never understood how a V (particularly a roundhorn such as a Gibson) can clash with anything except for people's narrowmindedness. Albery king, Lonnie Mack, and Jimi Hendrix used them organically. there were two firebirds in Skynrd and Explorers in ZZ-Top. I have even seen a banjo flying v. What is acceptable is what you pull off. if the Axe/costume/clothes/song didn't land, odds are the performer failed to pull it off.

I basically agree, but you have to admit that using an Ibanez JEM or Dimebag Darryl Dean guitar in certain contexts, such as in a blues band, would be dramatic clash of styles. :-)

or that it might not sound that good... [tongue]

a lot of playing is in your hands, some people sound great playing on whatever guitar they play.

Archived