Gibson Brands Forums

Any Sinker Wood Fans ?

JuanCarlosVejar

Martin just made a run of seventy five guitars from sinker mahogany.

According to the story this was Honduran mahogany that had been under water in a river in Belize for over 100 years.

The model is, CS D18-12. It is a 12 fret, slot head, Ditson style dread.

I've owned mine now for a month and it's a thunderous, fantastic sounding guitar.

There are a couple threads about these currently in the D28 Lounge at the UMGF. Lot's of pictures from us owners there as well.

I sold a Fullers J35 and another Martin to be able to buy this guitar and it was worth it !

Martin just made a run of seventy five guitars from sinker mahogany.

According to the story this was Honduran mahogany that had been under water in a river in Belize for over 100 years.

The model is, CS D18-12. It is a 12 fret, slot head, Ditson style dread.

I've owned mine now for a month and it's a thunderous, fantastic sounding guitar.

There are a couple threads about these currently in the D28 Lounge at the UMGF. Lot's of pictures from us owners there as well.

I sold a Fullers J35 and another Martin to be able to buy this guitar and it was worth it !

The Tom Seaver trade (when Mets sent him to Cinncinati for 3 "good" players) was enough trama to teach me a lesson.

To sell a few good to get one great is the way to go..the other way around is not worth it.

Guest J-Doug

I played several custom handmade guitars with sinker wood. Meh. Didn't sound any better to my ears. I think it's just another guitar fad.

I played several custom handmade guitars with sinker wood. Meh. Didn't sound any better to my ears. I think it's just another guitar fad.

Yeah, I don't know if it's going to enhance the sound of a guitar at all but it is cool knowing that you are getting some real nice, old, quartered wood. The mahogany on my CS visually is very nice but not necessarily spectacular looking like some that I've seen.

Yeah, I don't know if it's going to enhance the sound of a guitar at all but it is cool knowing that you are getting some real nice, old, quartered wood. The mahogany on my CS visually is very nice but not necessarily spectacular looking like some that I've seen.

To get the grade of look in wood that Santa Cruz, H&D, Lowden,Bourgeois etc put on they're guitars as standard .. you have to buy a guitar that cost 5 times as much from Martin.

To get the grade of look in wood that Santa Cruz, H&D, Lowden,Bourgeois etc put on they're guitars as standard .. you have to buy a guitar that cost 5 times as much from Martin.

I think your wrong about this. I've had quite a few mahogany Martins that were in the $2000 range and they had mahogany every bit as nice as my Santa Cruz does, and as nice as any I've seen on the other brands you mention.

I think your wrong about this. I've had quite a few mahogany Martins that were in the $2000 range and they had mahogany every bit as nice as my Santa Cruz does, and as nice as any I've seen on the other brands you mention.

Maybe there was a touch of exaggeration..Ive bought 4 new Martins ,brother one & railroaded my best friend into one as well..I used to only look to Martins.

it was such an irritant that they used the blandest looking woods that the last time I specifically asked that the rep select me a highly figured back like those they put on they're expensive stuff or I wasn't buying anything.

Though..I have never looked for mah..only bought Rosewoods(Braz..Ind..Madagascar) & some of that adirondack they used had grain so broad it was unbelievable.

Just look at any $15K Brazilian Martin & behold the pathetic grade of Brazilian they use compared to any Braz/Santa Cruz..I think the top comparison will be the same..though I have of late seen to my

absolute surprise what looked like Mastergrade Sitka on a regular HD or V-28..

What I say may no longer be true as I am from the old days but Im just offering a little spicey opinion. Take Care

Mersey, I gotta agree with you about the Brazilian that Martin has used on their modern guitars. Not the greatest looking stuff for sure.

I've also seen them use some not so great looking adirondack as well but I've also seen some of the same adi on lot's of different makers guitars.

I thought we were discussing mainly mahogany and that's why I argued on behalf of the mahogany Martin uses which I feel is as good as any other builders mahogany.

Archived