Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone an Impulse Guitar Buyer?

RUSHian

Yes..

A LP DC Faded which I got as I was working on one and was obsessed by them at the time.. sold that as my one turned out really well

A Gary Moore BFG, which I wanted cos I really loved the BFGs but didnt like the necks.. I bought it anyway and sold it

A Flying V.. I was really interested in different looking Gibsons at the time and I ended up trading it for my next one which was a 2008 Standard (which I am keeping).

I still have 5 though including the 2008.. [thumbup]

I am impulsive with lot's of things...also buying my first Gibson was rather impulsive. i had no clue what sound an Es175 had or how it played...but I saw the guitar and had to have it...checked what it cost and .... Way over my budget...so I start saving money, doing extra work etc etc...untill I had enough money, went to the store and bought it. first I bought was a natural blond...but it had cracks in the fret inlays, so i went back and exchanged it for the sunburst. ( and I got me a nice miicrophone and a mic standard because he blond was more expensive than the sunburst) Had no clue what I bought. But I am sure a happy camper.

I first got a guitar back in the mid '60's then work and family got in the way and I sold it, a Hofner Blonde semi. Then last Christmas I got the inkling back after visiting my bro' who had bought an early '60's Everly Gibson. That sort of festered for a while then I did it - bought the four in my siggy since 25th June.

Is that impulse buying???

Bob

I'm not sure if I'm impulsive- but, if I'm walking through the store, and one of the guitars calls my name as I pass by, then, it HAS to go home with me! If I don't have the money then, I'll figure out a way to get it pronto!

So far, it's worked pretty well that way, I have no regrets.

Then again, it seems that some of the purchases I've made by doing reasearch on hasn't always turned out satisfactory.

I usually make it a point to carry cash and leave my cards at home when I'm going to a music shop. Last time I went to GC with my check card my intent was to buy strings and a music stand, but I ended up going home with a 70's Guild D-25. A couple times before that I went out of boredom, and went home with a Hiwatt amp!!

G'day Ya'll,

Great Post because I think I would be one of the guilty ones here. [razz]

Well I don't always jump into a purchase on impulse, I normally research a purchase. "BUT"

Today I pulled the trigger on this awesome Classic Custom! My Iphone photo's dont show it's true beauty. [drool]

I picked it up brand new for $1999 AUD. [love]

Do you think I may have acted on impulse on this occassion ?

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

Rock On!!

Only once. 2006, we were up in Burlington Vermont, with my son and his wife. (He had a gig up there) We walked into a pretty large music store so the kid could get some drum heads. I had no intent on buying anything. Walked out with a Taylor GS Mahogany/Spruce top. For some reason, out of the dozen guitars I noodle with while waiting for him to figure out what he needed, I picked this one and it just connected. But it was $2k, and that was the most money I'd have ever spent on a guitar (still is). I paced the floor in the acoustic show room for 45 minutes and finally we left. Got about 100 yards down the road, and stopped, and looked back at the store, at that point me wife said "Just go back and BUY it..." Never regretted it either, love at first Em chord.

Anyone an Impulse Guitar Buyer? ....

Occasionally.

A few times over the years. The last time was a brand new Strat AM/Deluxe on sale for $1K - killer deal that was simply too good to pass up. The time before that it was an out of production guitar that is rarely for sale. So it's times like that when a great opportunity presents itself that I'll make a move on the spot.

I usually make it a point to carry cash and leave my cards at home when I'm going to a music shop. Last time I went to GC with my check card my intent was to buy strings and a music stand, but I ended up going home with a 70's Guild D-25. A couple times before that I went out of boredom, and went home with a Hiwatt amp!!

Lol i do that too.. but it doesn help any more..

I dont know about whats available to you guys over there... But we have interest free credit in nearly every shop in the UK.. its scary.. you can walk into a shop and walk out with a guitar without paying a penny.. You then get one year to pay it off before interest kicks in..

Its got me a couple of times lol...

When I first saw my L-4CES I knew I had to have it even though I thought it was a ES 175. I went home did the research and went out and played a couple ES 175 then waited a month before going back to the shop with the L-4CES. I still had to have it so it came home with me.

But when I went to a local store to check out guitars and pick up some strings I played one of the new Guild GSR Starfire IV guitar. I played it through a 1964 Tremolux just like I have at home and was blown away so I bought it right then and there. It was a very impulsive buy, but I have not regreted the purchase. In fact I think I will go check on it now...see ya. Thanks John

Every guitar I've bought has been what I'd call an impulse buy. I'm a sucker for a "deal". I've bought 5 guitars on impulse and have had 5 pretty good deals. A couple closing music store deals, some haggling, and a mid-year purchase of a previous year's model. All of the purchases have been without trying the instrument for more than 20 minutes or so.

Normally, I agonize over every detail, for a couple of months, before I buy a guitar. But when I saw my LP Faded on Larry Corsas website, I knew it wouldn't last long and I immediately pulled out my credit card and bought it. Then I had to walk downstairs and tell my wife what I did and try to make her understand that I had no choice.

Lol i do that too.. but it doesn help any more..

I dont know about whats available to you guys over there... But we have interest free credit in nearly every shop in the UK.. its scary.. you can walk into a shop and walk out with a guitar without paying a penny.. You then get one year to pay it off before interest kicks in..

Its got me a couple of times lol...

Yep, me too. When the AC-15CC first came out several years ago I bought one at GC with "no interest for a year"(it too was an impulse buy).

the only true "impulse buy" i've made was a "Fat-Strat" that I grabbed to test drive a few amps with, I figured the stock Mexi-p'ups would help me estimate the amps' tones more than a guitar with "killer" p'ups.

after choosing an amp that gave the tones I wanted I just couldn't walk out w/o the Strat.......it felt perfect.....sounded GREAT, and to this day sees as much playtime as my Amer.Dlx.Strat does.

I cant be trusted in a guitar shop but I'm getting better. I have started looking at the price now because I always end up looking at the £3000 plus guitars and I would find it hard to explain this to my girlfriend. I will have a relapse if I see a bargain. [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

Every guitar I've bought has been what I'd call an impulse buy. I'm a sucker for a "deal". I've bought 5 guitars on impulse and have had 5 pretty good deals. A couple closing music store deals, some haggling, and a mid-year purchase of a previous year's model. All of the purchases have been without trying the instrument for more than 20 minutes or so.

Did you get anything before Parker's closed. By the time I got there, all the good stuff was gone.

My impulse buy was my Am. Dlx. Strat. Northside of Houston is a place called Kat's Guitar/All Pawn. Half guitar shop, half pawn shop, that sells guitars new and used. Walked in there, and there it was hanging on the top row. I plugged it into a TRRI and played for about 30 min. I turned around and asked the guy about his layaway plan, and proceeded from there. Got it out about 3 months later.

Archived