Gibson Brands Forums

iPad

passthej45

My son is learning to play piano and there are a couple of good apps to help him learn to read sheet music and some interactive exercises.

On my iPhone, I use apps for the tuner and metronome and find that to be quite handy.

It would be handy to have an app that consolidates tab or sheet music. I use a manilla folder and the printed page, but that's sooooo last millennium. LOL.

It's kinda fun to noodle with the amp models in Garageband(I don't think they could really be used though), Anytune or Capo let's you slow a song down without changing the pitch(but it does sound a bit strange) . It is good however for looping a song section to practice to . I also got the Peterson Isostrobe which is interesting. Mostly I just like having all of my media right in my hand , ebooks , YouTube , tabs, music, and movies to watch through HBO go and Netflix and stuff. My wife uses hers for scrolling piano scores but they are a bit small for my eyes!

I have an iPad and have several apps that are quite useful for music.

A couple of free metronome apps.

The free Gibson Learn and Master StudioShare app -- includes metronome and tuner and other tools.

I use the iBooks to display music I scan into my PC. I use my HP officejet to scan the music to PDF on to my Macbook, and then put it over on the iPad.

I've an iPad and iPhone - both handy tools.

For music:

YouTube (lessons, live performances, reviews etc)

Gibson App (tuner, chord list etc)

Ultimate Guitar (tabs, chords and lyrics)

Bookmarked this forum (need I say anymore!)

Don't have an ipad but just bought my first Macbook pro last week and have to say I'm loving it.

A real quality product, pure class and ease of use and made me wonder why it took my so long to make the switch from PC.

Still, I don't get the Ipad - just not really sure what its good for other than surfing ..?

Still, I don't get the Ipad - just not really sure what its good for other than surfing ..?

I use it in the field as a high-tech notepad for spreadsheets, rather than lugging around a computer. Still waiting for a good non-icloud app for use with box.com file storage which my workgroup shares.

Am really interested in music apps for this, however.

Don't have an ipad but just bought my first Macbook pro last week and have to say I'm loving it.

A real quality product, pure class and ease of use and made me wonder why it took my so long to make the switch from PC.

EA I love my iPad but to be honest it is only for surfing. I sit at an iMac all day and use a laptop if I have to work from home. Enjoy using the iPad as it doesn't feel like a work tool.

Great for taking on holiday too. Slips into hand luggage and doesn't have the added weight of a laptop. I'll be using it when i'm lying on the beach in August (wifi from hotel is great). Can FaceTime my friends to make em jealous, sorry 'keep in touch' ;)

Very intuitive to use and my 3 and 4 year old kids can operate it.

That sounds like a decidedly mixed blessing!

It is Nick. Great for flights and breaking up fights haha

Had it about a week and it was christened on the tiled floor of our hotel bedroom. Don't know how it survived! A bit of a kink near the awake/sleep button - but the screen is unscathed.

At least it wasn't my J45 lol!!

1) Browsing, handy & portable

2) VLC, watch moveis in-flight etc...

3) I have a PLEX media server running on the mac, if I'm in another room, in bed sick etc... I can use PLEX on the ipad to watch anything stored in my HD's or in my iTunes

4) UTunes, you can take interactive learning courses, some free some subscription based

5) Record lectures, quickly record videos for Youtube etc

6) eBook reader (although no matter how good the screen is, backlit isn;t the best option here)

7) It's jazz, your friends will be jealous and make small penis jpkes to you, this is to mask jealousy

8) You can use it to make presentations, of course with the output wired to a bigger screen

9) Because everyone else is doing it ;)

:D :D

1) Browsing, handy & portable

2) VLC, watch moveis in-flight etc...

3) I have a PLEX media server running on the mac, if I'm in another room, in bed sick etc... I can use PLEX on the ipad to watch anything stored in my HD's or in my iTunes

4) UTunes, you can take interactive learning courses, some free some subscription based

5) Record lectures, quickly record videos for Youtube etc

6) eBook reader (although no matter how good the screen is, backlit isn;t the best option here)

7) It's jazz, your friends will be jealous and make small penis jpkes to you, this is to mask jealousy

8) You can use it to make presentations, of course with the output wired to a bigger screen

9) Because everyone else is doing it ;)

:D :D

Aye, all that and now I can say I have an apple too

Youre so shallow PM ... [biggrin]

But seriously, all you mentioned before seems can be done very comfortably on a MacPro for example ?

EA I felt exactly the same way when my wife was clamoring for one, I was like "jeez there's a desktop like 15 feet away in the house, you already havd an Iphone, what's the point" ? Well I got her one for her birthday, next thing you know I had to have one. I don't do Iphone(doesn't work for my 53 year old eyes), don't have a laptop, so the Ipad was just right for me. I also like online magazines with interactive aspects(like Rock Cellar Magazine). Admittedly surely you can to all the things on a MacPro(and lots , lots more),it's just a bit more portable and of course just a luxury to be honest, but I do enjoy it. I have a cover for mine called a BookBook, that looks like and old beat up library book, so I can sneak it anywhere(i.e. work and such), it's very handy for that . [thumbup]

I was curious is anyone out there had tried the Irig with Amplitube or Garageband and your thoughts...

But seriously, all you mentioned before seems can be done very comfortably on a MacPro for example ?

True, EA, but for the person starting from scratch, not looking to do anything 'processing' related and even for many of the older people out there, an iPad makes more sense than a macbook pro and costs between 1500 and 2k less. That said the new one (MB pro) is a thing of beauty... just maybe not as comfy to lay on the couch with propped up on your legs... I switched to apple years ago, been PC free for at least last 4-5 years

Our daughter is a computer geek (undergraduate degree) and for 10 years has used Apple and loved it. Wife finally switched 3-4 years ago from Microsoft. Loved it so much, a few weeks ago I got a MacBookPro. Now, I'd gone to iPhone when they first came out. Switched to an Android a year+ ago and hate it, so will go back to iPhone when the 5 comes out. Back to the iPad. All 4 or our kids have one. They and their spouses love them. I was 100% sure with a smart phone and a laptop - that an iPad would be a waste of $. But it isn't - it is a niche Apple found and hit a home run with. I use it as much as my laptop. Tuner, metronome and getting lyrics and their chords, sitting on a couch or an a music stand, it is an important tool for a serious musician. Of course, I am not a serious musician, but I have lots of extra time!

• 1 year later...
1342803234[/url]' post='1231098']

As comfortable as lying in bed with an ipad?

Seriously though the ipad is far more of a media player toy than a computer. What it does it is good at. Wireless. To Apple Airport for sounds, bluetooth cans! Camera. Portable.

Garageband or Amplitube? Garageband is easy but Amplitube better bells and whistles. Neither anywhere near as good as a DAW on a laptop/pc.But Line6 Sonic Port (lightning) is better than Amplitube iRigHD interface

Seriously though the ipad is far more of a media player toy than a computer. What it does it is good at. Wireless. To Apple Airport for sounds, bluetooth cans! Camera. Portable.

Garageband or Amplitube? Garageband is easy but Amplitube better bells and whistles. Neither anywhere near as good as a DAW on a laptop/pc.But Line6 Sonic Port (lightning) is better than Amplitube iRigHD interface

Until you jailbreak it, install SSH, install anything really, you can do all-sorts with an ipad beyond what Apple's OS will let you do....

I stand by it, for the man who doesn't want to spend into the 4 figures and isn't having to do processing an iPad is a better choice. Apple are not clowns, while they do enjoy a reasonable market share for laptops and Mac Pro clients who still do little more than browsing and email, the need for phones, tablets and now fablets is what spurned them onwards from the runaway success of the ipod.

use case one: old age pensioner keeping in touch with family & friends with email, facetime and a spot of browsing. IPad is the infinitely cheaper option here, cheaper than any reasonable equivalent MS or Linux based desktop, more potrable and with a more intuitive, easy-grasp interface than anything Linux based, or Win8 based can offer.

Use case two: the dad who lets his kids play with it, come on aside a drop & break scenario, the worst you'll ever face is a reset and 20 minutes of recovery time... the dad wont be so inclined with his new air, or pro with retina screen will he?

use case three: the geek who takes the 'toy' and doesn't let barriers define or limit him, jailbreaks the bugger and amazes all his friends with what an ipad can really do with the reigns loosened.

Archived