Gibson Brands Forums

iPad

passthej45

I saw the first Ad for the first iPad and thought that was an absolute essential and off I went to line up to buy with all the other Mac enthusiasts. I did some time in Graphic Arts years ago and they all liked Macs as the first inventors of desktop publishing and graphics and i was hooked - and currently work on a company supplied p.c. that is the equivalent of an old Toyota, but for my personal uses, I have every Mac possible: Mac Pro lappie, Imac G5, iPhone, iPad and I just gave away an old Mac tower that another friend gave me for recording, but I preferred my old iMac......

I still have the first iPad and read the Gibson Forum, the newspaper and guitar shops, guitar magazines, guitar accessories, guitar repairs, guitar.....guitar....and I guess it has fueled the flames even more....while I am working on the p.c. and have to wait for processing.....

Has anyone got the latest model? Is it worth the upgrade?

BluesKing777.

I have the newest iPad , 3rd gen, but that's my first iPad so can't say.

I travel a great deal and find it very useful , put down song ideas so I don't forget them.

At home the Peterson tuner I find very useful , amplitube has some cool tones for on the go electric

And makes a great in bed web surfer.

Much better screen than the iphone5 or larger anyway.

And iMac runs protools so suppose I am a apple kinda guy.

iTunes is cool and shares all music on all devices , as well as a networked hardrive,

Time capsul .

Only thing I do not like is no flash on I devices , it can be a problem on some web sites.

I have a 2 and do tons of stuff with Garagebnd on it . My buddy just got that Apogge (sp ? ) mic to use with GarageBand and it sounds great, really.

I use Garageband on an iPad with an Apogee iMic.

Apogee iMic to record songs................. $200

iPad2 to run Garageband to record songs .... $500

iKlip for micstand to hold iPad............. $40

Watching family leave the house when I start to record or play, and post on Facebook "WTF Dad. Really?" ...... PRICELESS

I use Garageband on an iPad with an Apogee iMic.

Apogee iMic to record songs................. $200

iPad2 to run Garageband to record songs .... $500

iKlip for micstand to hold iPad............. $40

Watching family leave the house when I start to record or play, and post on Facebook "WTF Dad. Really?" ...... PRICELESS

LMAO

Just got one each for my Wife and I last week,I'm still getting to grips with it- I've never had a Desk-Top or a Laptop up till now ( wasn't interested in computers) I've used IPhones and a Sumsung Galaxy Note up till now, I did notice that the Guitar Toolkit App is now £6.99- whereas, when I first downloaded it 3-4 years ago it was free, but I don't mind in the least,as its worth several times that, -I'm always using it,so,yes,I like my iPad.

I have to admit that I am apparently quite technologically challenged. I have the "stuff" to record = Presonus desk something with 4 inputs (8?) Firewire, I-Mac w Garage Band, mics and wires, monitor speakers, external hard drive with Terabytes (?). Binders with probably hundreds of songs, in no particular style of organization.

I am curious about the I-Pad and how folks use it to store and display lyrics. Do you have to type the lyrics onto a program and save it some how? Is there a function where I can scan my existing song library in? Is there a way I can simply "send" my lyric files from the I-Mac to an I-Pad?

As I age, one of the biggest challenges I have is remembering lyrics - it would be very useful to be able to drill down to a user friendly one-touch access system - and even have the ability to mount the darn thing on a mic stand???

I have to admit that I am apparently quite technologically challenged. I have the "stuff" to record = Presonus desk something with 4 inputs (8?) Firewire, I-Mac w Garage Band, mics and wires, monitor speakers, external hard drive with Terabytes (?). Binders with probably hundreds of songs, in no particular style of organization.

I am curious about the I-Pad and how folks use it to store and display lyrics. Do you have to type the lyrics onto a program and save it some how? Is there a function where I can scan my existing song library in? Is there a way I can simply "send" my lyric files from the I-Mac to an I-Pad?

As I age, one of the biggest challenges I have is remembering lyrics - it would be very useful to be able to drill down to a user friendly one-touch access system - and even have the ability to mount the darn thing on a mic stand???

Download the ultimate guitartab app. Has a feature that let's you set the speed of the screen scrolling , match it to the speed yo play .

EBay has mic stand clips for iPads

:)

We have an iPad 3, but we won't buy another. It's a fairly user-friendly system, but this stems from the Big Brother controls Apple exercises.

(I find the old "1984" commercials against MS amusing - Apple is by far the most controlling of the OS's).

On a practical note, try to play a flash movie on an iPad - a lot of the music online is flash - this is a definite negative re. iPad for musicians.

We also have Android tablets ( Nexus 7, ASUS Transformer, Galaxy Note - messy but can do everything you want from a consumption standpoint.) and a Windows 8 Full tablet/convertible ultrabook (ASUS Taichi).

The last is by far the most powerful and, at the same time, a user friendly consumption device - plus it turns into a full Win8 ultrabook that runs any Windows program in an alternate desktop environment. Downside is fewer apps, but all the key ones are there.

IMO, the iPad is the best built, sexiest tablet, but has limited utility primarily because of the restrictions Apple imposes on its own consumers.

Currently, I need both Android & Windows to do everything I do. But Apple - "we don' need no stinkin' Apple" :-)

I use my ipad 3 as an organizational tool for my songwriting and performing. The apple writing app, Pages, I find to be a simple, clean interface. It's easy to arrange my playlists and it is pretty compact onstage. Plus, what's nice about apple products is I can edit something on my iPod, or MacBook and it automatically updates on the other devices. Sure works for me!

Of course you need to get your songs into a digital format somehow. I already have my originals on Pages and for covers, I usually find a tab online that I can copy and paste. I know many songwriters don't using a mechanical device for creating, but for me, the speed and ease of editing won me over.

Is there an app which will let me scan guitar tabs I already have and organize those? I have a bunch of bluegrass stuff I'm trying to learn, as well as other stuff in various guitar books. I'd love to pull together only the tabs/instructional lessons I actually want to use.

Archived