Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your favurite Gibson for fingerstyle ?

EuroAussie

If you spend a few thousand hours keeping that oom-pa um-pa thing going with your thumb it becomes very natural and you can even put spin and edge on the alternating bass so it sizzles and pops. I started out studying Mississippi John Hurt and still play the style. After a couple decades of oom-pa um-pa and same with 3/4 on the 1 and 3 beats that started to seem robotic to me and I try now to have somewhat more fluid bass lines. Rather than an alternation like a tuba, I'm looking for walkin' a double-bass.

Great...I've got '4 and 20' and 'Lime and the Coconut' down. In 3,442 more hours who knows? Where's my Red Bear?

Standard in D. D, and you need to reach that pinky up to that 5th fret (also good for 'Mother Nature's Son)...'He was tired...' F,G 'of being poor' Am with the D string open. Maybe you can find it from there.

Since I really only tend to fingerpick, all of my guitars work well for that style or they wouldn't have come home with me.

I've been thinkin' on what my honest reply is to the initial question in this string...and I think what Guth said nails it on the head for me.

I too tend to only fingerpick and all of my guitars work well for that style or they wouldn't have made it into my stable of guitars.

In trying to narrow it down, I tried thinkin' of the opposite...which are my least favorita to fingerpick with...and that question fell flat, too for me.

They all are compatible with my fingerpickin' style and I like fingerpickin' on them all.

From there I could begin to categorize them into which are easier to fingerpick on, more responsive, less responsive, cleaner or dirtier in terms of note sounding, roomier or less on the fretboard or by the soundhold, etc....but, those are things that make playing each a pleasure of the variety of the spice of life as each one is slightly differeent and one of the reasons I have many guitars to keep it all so interesting. Basically, my favorite for fingerpickin', I guess, is whichever one I am playing at the moment. I do, however, favor my J-45 or Gibson Gosple Reissue for gigging and either my SJ, Gospel Reissue, Texan,and Epiphone Zenith for jamming with other guitarists. For amping, I favor my 125 and J-45. I definitely overall favor jumbo/dreadnaught size guitars over concert size (but that changed over the years as initially I favored concert size until them bigger booming guitars with all their volume versatility worked their way into becoming my first choice)...but, when it comes to fingerpickin', they all work fine.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

T

Cant beat a slope J for that John S Hurt thing. As you all know, its a good all-rounder. The AJs are similar but busier in the bass-lower mids. J200s bring clear separation to the mix: nice bass pop that doesnt cover the other parts. Great for Blake and Davis rags where you have those contrapuntal (big word there) lines. A vintage style L00 (but not the BK and RJ L1) for that old time sound. The square boxes would be at the bottom of the list -- you can pick a nice Petty-esqe arpeggio on 'em, but lack the treble bite and clean bass that most pickers are looking for.

I really like a maple back guitar for finger picking. I like the sharp bright tone. The Gibson Cascade has a maple back and cedar top, lovely bright sound, light to handle. Gibson didn't put a scratch plate on it either so I guess it was designed for finger picking. Pity they stopped making them.

I have owned a few J45s and each has excelled for fingerstyle-the 45/50s are the best all-rounders out there, IMHO.

My AJ does just fine for fingerstyle, but the long scale makes the top end a bit more snappy and less smooth than that of a 45.

My former SJ200 was brilliant for fingerstyle. Big bell-like top end, subtle mids and detailed, focused pianoesque bass so typical of Maple. Come to think of it, there's very little that a good SJ200 can't do...remarkable guitars.

Archived